What's new

Ride Ome - Odarumi Pass: Let the Epic begin! (Sunday, July 7th, 7:00 am start)

YamanashiLiving123

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
Hello TCC'ers,

Coming off an epic solo ride in Yamanashi-ken this weekend. Inspired to keep it going. Posting well in advance because it takes planning and preparation, and some serious thought if you want to tackle this. Not for the faint of heart and need have the right stuff - gear and gearing that is.

I did this two years ago and funny enough I did part of the route on my ride this weekend, thinking all the while I was having deja-vu until I saw the sign for Odarumi Pass.
Okay enough rambling here are the details:

Date: Sunday. July 7th (weather permitting)
Meeting place: Ome Station (rinko bag and know-how required. If you have never used one, practice in advance)
Time: 7:00 am Ome station start time. (Plan your arrival accordingly especially if you are coming from central Tokyo. (Will not have much time to wait for stragglers, long day)
Route: Ome to the top of Odarumi pass (This will be modified with a start in Ome, climb over the pass into Yamanashi and ride from Odarumi circle route, drop back down to Enzan and catch the train from Enzan back to Tokyo, rather than a return trip). This will be enough with all the climbin we will be doing. Will post up a new route later. This one will give you an idea.
What do you need: Proper gearing for climbing. Climbing legs aka grit. Rinko bag, Two bottles of water. Food (we will stop for food, but once into Odarumi, not much around). Jacket. Rear and front light. It gets cold even in the summer up there. A downloaded version of the route along with a computer or phone in case you need to turn around.
Ride level: This will be a minimum 8 hour day in the saddle. MUST have climbing experience and spent that kind of time in the saddle. WATT at the top will be somewhat difficult on some of the climbs. I will not be necessarily riding in the red zone, but it is a grind. Maybe best to say willingness to ride as a group if possible.

If interested or any questions DM or post in the comment sections below.

Look for an updated version of the route. Although it will be around 180km and above 5,000m climbing me thinks.

I'd love to join. Would most likely start from enzan. Hope the weather holds up.
That's 75 km into the ride with a massive climb to drop down into Yamanashi-ken. Meeting that far out don't think will work. Hard to say on an accurate meeting time. Be one thing if it were closer and not a big climb.

got it. my train connection to oume is terrible. I'd have to get up before 4 to be there by 7 am. so let's see how the weather works out. oodarumi always seems to attract worst conditions like a magnet

got it. my train connection to oume is terrible. I'd have to get up before 4 to be there by 7 am. so let's see how the weather works out. oodarumi always seems to attract worst conditions like a magnet
I was up in that area yesterday, it was perfect! Weather conditions are all part of the deal. Good thing with Odarumi is there are turn around points, just turn around and head down :)

No worries on Enzan as the only additional meeting point.

Nice one mate! That was a top ride!!
That was a good day of riding two years ago I believe. Never did make it to the top of Odarumi. I did a ride from Enzan ot Kiyosato last weekend and kept getting a deja vu feeling until i realized coming up on the Odarumi sign and my turn, the crystal line that this was the ride we did So time for some revenge and get up and over this puppy.

@TokyoLiving
I was thinking about going to Lake Okutama, which is about 30km from Ome station, but that's still a bit of a puny ride. Roughly what time are you looking to get to Enzan for the meetup and for the train ride home?

@TokyoLiving
I was thinking about going to Lake Okutama, which is about 30km from Ome station, but that's still a bit of a puny ride. Roughly what time are you looking to get to Enzan for the meetup and for the train ride home?
Change of plans. I was doing redoing the map on Ride W GPS and the climbing meters from Ome up and over along with Odarumi will just be too long of a day. The plan is to catch the 5:23 am train from my station to Enzan and arrive at 7:22 and we can start from Enzan go up and down Odarumi. Still gonna be a big climbing day. I will reroute the map from Enzan and post it later.

I'm in, thanks for posting!
Change of plans. I was doing redoing the map on Ride W GPS and the climbing meters from Ome up and over along with Odarumi will just be too long of a day. The plan is to that I am going to catch a 5:23 am train from my station to Enzan and arrive at 7:22 and the ride will begin at Enzan station where it will be convenient for all of us to meet. Then go up and down Odarumi. Still gonna be a big climbing day. I will reroute the map from Enzan and post it later.

Not sure where you live, but you might want to figure it out how to get to Enzan and arrive for a 7:30 departure.

Change of plans. I was doing redoing the map on Ride W GPS and the climbing meters from Ome up and over along with Odarumi will just be too long of a day. The plan is to that I am going to catch a 5:23 am train from my station to Enzan and arrive at 7:22 and the ride will begin at Enzan station where it will be convenient for all of us to meet. Then go up and down Odarumi. Still gonna be a big climbing day. I will reroute the map from Enzan and post it later.

Not sure where you live, but you might want to figure it out how to get to Enzan and arrive for a 7:30 departure.
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the Enzan meetup as I don't have any experience with rinkoing yet. I'd also not be able to make it there by 7.30 anyway. Have a great ride!

Copy, I'll ride up the tama to Tachikawa station then train to Enzan :tup

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the Enzan meetup as I don't have any experience with rinkoing yet. I'd also not be able to make it there by 7.30 anyway. Have a great ride!
Change of time if that helps - 8:00 am start to accommodate everyone coming from everywhere.

UPDATED

EDIT (July 1st)
Updated plan - change of meeting place and time.
Date: Sunday, July 7th (weather permitting)
Meeting place: Enzan Station in Yamanashi (rinko bag and know-how required. If you have never used one, practice in advance)
Time: 8:00 am start time. (Plan your arrival accordingly especially if you are coming from central Tokyo. (Will not have much time to wait for stragglers, long day)
Route: Enzan station to the top of Odarumi pass with a return back down to Enzan station.
What do you need: Proper gearing for climbing. Climbing legs aka grit. Rinko bag, Two bottles of water. Food (we will stop for food, but once into Odarumi, not much around). Jacket. It gets cold even in the summer up there. Rear and front light. A downloaded version of the route along with a computer or phone in case you need to turn around.
Ride level: This will be an 8 hour day in the saddle. MUST have climbing experience and spent that kind of time in the saddle. Plan is not to be necessarily riding in the red zone, but it is a grind. Maybe best to say willingness to ride in a group if possible.

If interested or any questions DM or post in the comment sections below.
Look for an updated version of the route. Although it will be around 120km and above 2,500m climbing me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom