What's new

Okutama Mountains Map

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I've had a great year cycling. Many of the wonderful memories and moments have been in the Okutama region; our local-est mountains.

Partly for something to look at while planning future adventures, I've made a composite map to show my GPS tracks, the mountain passes I've reached by bike, those I haven't yet reached, and a few other bits and pieces.

Originally in Japanese only (more compact), I realised it might be of interest to others tough of leg yet weak of kanji. So I've added some romaji.

Please feel free to use, abuse, or whatever. I've you've any sensible suggestions on how to improve the map, please let me know.

Where available, Elevation data are from my GPS. Otherwise taken from Wikipedia etc.

Nice Map!

I really enjoy reading maps. It must be the viking in me (I'm Norwegian) I went to my local city hall an bought a huge map of my area (Ina, Nagano) and it was only 100 yen. It is very detailed and shows fire roads that are nowhere to be found on yahoo maps. It literally shows every little road there is. They kind of looked at me like I was a spy about to breach the code when I asked for the map, but I kinda have gotten used to that by now.
I also loved your Norikura video. I live close to there and am going to conquer it next year in a 2 day trip from my house. Can you recomend a good hotel to stay? I am open to cheap or expensive.

Northstar looked indeed inviting when Mike and I passed by.

From Ina, it is only 90km to the top of Norikura - so easily done as a round-trip. We passed through Ina coming from Chino, and after Norikura went on to Takayama and Gero, making it 230km in total. You could head out through the mountains and return via route 158 etc. avoiding any more climbing (basically 100km mostly downhill/flat).

But this is not meant to discourage you from staying at Northstar or anywhere else in Norikura Kogen.

Awesome

Nice tips!
I really am lucky to have such great riding where I am. I literally live right at the mouth of Gombee Tunnel. I can see some routes on the map I would guess to take, but could you help me with an exact route you would take to get to the top of Norikura with the 158 route included? I plan on doing it solo then inviting others from TCC to gather at my house for a group ride so I want to have the route nailed down. I have a few spare rooms and could host probably close to 15 people so we could leave real early well rested.

Mate I was just outside Tatsuno for Shougatsu, that's really close to where you live! I've ridden both the Gombee Toge and tunnel so I know exactly where you are at!

My wife's family lives just out north of Tatsuno off #153 about 10 minutes in Kawashima. I only make out there several times per year, but we'll definitely have to hook up for a ride next time! BTW, I've been eyeballing Norikura as well and mapped it out to almost exactly 90km from my wife's family's house to the peak. We should definitely think about hitting that!

From the two separate rides Mike and I did this summer:

Ina - Norikura:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/nagano/558128227740433845

Norikura - Matsumoto:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/nagano/234128313166397917
or
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46634340

You obviously won't need to go into Matsumoto to return to Ina.

Norikura is best done when it is blistering hot elsewhere - this means you will have 15 to 20 degrees on top, and no need to worry about taking up warm clothing. And of course when the forecast is for no clouds - Norikura attracts clouds easily.

Have fun this summer!

It must be the viking in me (I'm Norwegian)
For no adequately-explored reason I thought you were Japanese. (Maybe the out-of-the-way location and Hinomaru flag next to your name.) Had a friend at the Norwegian Embassy a few years ago. Trondheim lass. Very proud of her jarlsberg.

Since you mentioned Norikura I should flag up that we plan to repeat the Shine On! Cycle Challenge in Norikura in July this year. It's a fun cycling event with staggered starts for all abilities and a family atmosphere, all in aid of a wonderful charity, The Tyler Foundation.

Awesome

Yamabushi that sounds great! Always looking for someone to ride with! Let me know when you are around and I will let you know when I do The Norikura. There is another really awesome ride that I know about that has 2 big mountains and is mostly new pavement in the deep woods and there is a french bakery on the way that has a stone oven for baking and awesome coffee! Also the Gombee road above the tunnel is my go to climb from my house I love that climb, except for the time I was descending at full speed and there was a giant wild boar in the road! I slammed on my breakes causing a big bald patch in my rear tire stopping within feet, then he jumped off the egde of a huge cliff andf when I looke he was gone! Watch out for monkeys too! I was cresting the top near the fences and there was a huge mob of them squaking and sqeeking at me, I just kept riding though and they were ok.
Ludwig thanks for the map, I will definitly use that route. How was the ride to Gero after Norikura? Down hill or More climbing?
Also Half Fast Mike, I was looking into that ride and you may see me there! Also should mention I was born and raised in USA but have family in Norway still, also have lots of German in me, Granma says Im Heinz 57, as in many varieties! Now my 2 kids have the added Japanese too!

Thanks For the tips everyone!

there is a french bakery on the way that has a stone oven for baking and awesome coffee!

Could you point us to the location - would be good to know for future rides in the area.

Ludwig thanks for the map, I will definitly use that route. How was the ride to Gero after Norikura? Down hill or More climbing?

There is one climb into another valley as you leave Takayama, but maybe only 200m altitude difference. Otherwise slight downhill, with some ups and downs.

As for getting to Norikura as we did, note that there are two not insignificant climbs until you get to the base (Norikura Kogen).

Unfortunately it seems that the (re-)construction work on Section A of the Super Rindo will not be finished until the end of November 2012. When it's done it will open up more options for enjoying the area without being subjected to loads of nasty tunnels.

http://www.nagano-tabi.net/sc/open_route/root.html

Not that this would stop Ludwig. Nothing stops Ludwig! But I can't lead a charity ride along a closed road - the insurance company would frown and suck their teeth so much the windows would implode. And if something went wrong (1) an ambulance couldn't get there, and (2) the press would have a field day.

Ludwig this is there web address, they have excellent food as well!

http://www.owari.ne.jp/~petit/nagano.html

Pete, I have done half of that ride, just amazing, but instead of going left you go right after the dam and you keep climbing for a ways then you descend until you come to an intersection then take a right and you end up in tatsuno. Hard ride(for me at least!)

today

Just did that ride today, but backwards (the one I mentioned) and needed to hike the last 2 kilometers due to snow! The decent was ice free though.

Back
Top Bottom