What's new

Ride Okutama 3 hills (Tomin-no-mori, Tsuru-toge, Wada-toge) - Sat, June 22th

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
After our extremely fun ride out in Chiba last month, it was unanimously decided that we should do another group ride "soon".
For the Chiba ride, most of the planning was done behind the scenes, and it ended up not being posted on the forum before the ride (sorry about that).

This time, we hope to get yet another large group - a nice mix of newer and older TCC members - for another round in the hills around Okutama.

Date: June 15th, 2019
Place: Musashi-Itsukaichi
Time: 9:00am
Ride out: 9:15-ish

The official course will start & end in Musashi-Itsukaichi, where there are coin-lockers (if necessary).

The first climb is open to change, depending on preference: Choice A) would be the classic "Tomin-no-Mori" climb, as planned in the RidewithGPS link above. Or choice B) would be the shorter, but steeper "Kazahari-rindo" climb - They both end at the same place, so it doesn't really matter. Although, if it's hot, there will be more shade on the Kazahari-rindo road, making it the preferable route.

After we descend to the lake, we'll turn left (heading west) towards Tsuru-toge. Tsuru-toge, for those who haven't done it before, is basically "short & steep". It's a nice little climb (although I guarantee that's not what you'll be saying as you ride up it). After our descent from Tsuru-toge, we'll take a short detour to the nearest convenience-store (Sekimoto - at the 76km mark), and then double-back to Rte.522, the scenic route that leads to the base of Wada-toge (west).

We'll climb the 6km to Wada-toge, and that will be the number-3 climb of the day. From the top, we'll turn left (heading north) onto what looks like a gravel road... Actually, it IS a gravel road, but only for a few hundred meters, then it's fairly nicely paved all the way down. After descending for about 7km, we'll turn left again - being careful not to overshoot the turn-off - and then we'll have one more short climb (did I say Wada-toge was the last climb? Hmm...) on some almost zero-traffic roads, before a final descent back into Musashi-Itsukaichi.

All climbs will be W.A.T.T. (wait at the top), and the total distance is a little over 110km.

Please post below to show your interest.

Last edited:
I'll be there!

p.s. @Kangaeroo after this I may be dead the following day at the enduro, so please bring a tow rope.

No worries, @sean-e I've already seen how climbing has a rejuvenating effect on you, so I expect (and will be delighted that) your fresh legs will be towing me along the following day.

Quick update:
So far there are 7 of us going:
Thomas, Sean, Alex and me (from this thread), and 3 other guys: Jessie, James, and Julien... possibly one or two more who may decide at short notice.

Also, I know some people will prefer to ride out along Tamagawa instead of taking the train.
I'll be meeting Thomas on the Tamagawa CR, just past Koremasa bridge at 7:45am - At the point where the CR makes a sharp-ish left-hand bend as it goes around some baseball fields.

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/y6urmwu9DfjtypfVA

7:45 there (near Koremasa), or 9am at Musashi-Itsukaichi station.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there :)

...something, something.... bit of rain...
Something, something.... next week...

Well, that kind of sucks!
I usually try to hold out for as long as possible before I cancel/postpone a ride due to weather. The JMA (Japanese Meteorological Association) and I have never been on friendly terms - They think they're always right, and I think they're a bunch of lying asshats... Anyway, I never believe a single word they have to say outside of 24 hours before a ride (and occasionally, 50/50 according to the law of averages, their guesses are correct).

As much as I'd like to say, "See, you're wrong...again!", I think this time it's better to err on the side of caution, and hence:

RIDE POSTPONED

I will be attempting the EXACT same ride next week, Saturday June 22nd. So if you're still interested, I hope to see you then.

Meeting times and places will be exactly the same, except for being shifted one week:
7:45am near the Koremasa bridge, and 9am at Musashi-Itsukaichi station.

Thomas, if you could do the honors, and change the title of this thread to reflect the new ride date, "22nd", please.

I have been worrying since yesterday but didn't dare to mention the obvious. :flip: Looks like quite a deluge tomorrow.

Take 2: Saturday, June 22nd...

All times and places remain the same (except shifted to this weekend).
About 115km, with a fair amount of climbing, but it won't be "fast" - W.A.T.T. of all climbs.

For anyone who was interested last week, we (hopefully) should be OK to go this Saturday instead.

7:45 - Koremasa bridge.
9:00 - Musashi-Itsukaichi station

Please let me know if you're still interested.

I'm (still) in, a bit of rain is fine by me, though squeaky disc brake bike might make an appearance...

Ahh.. June 22nd I have a professional commitment in the afternoon. Probably I will turn after Tomin-no-Mori descent and return via Okutama station. Will make me a little late however I was looking for such an excuse anyway... Hope the rain stays away this time.

Weather looks OK for tomorrow. I will meet @ Koremasa bridge, actually I will ride Tamagawa from near 多摩川大橋 (i.e. Route 1 bridge) in case anyone wants to join there or along the way.

Hey guys, this looks like an awesome ride, please count me in although I might also have to cut it short depending on time. When do you think the main group will get back? Alex - how about your shortened version?

It's been a long while - I will try to make this one, Travis. Will be at Musashi Itsukaichi station by 9am, hopefully!

When do you think the main group will get back? Alex - how about your shortened version?
I will probably jump on a train @okutama station, maybe the 11:33.

My plan is: 6:15@多摩川大橋 (Kawasaki side)
Breakfast @ Cross Coffee
Depart Cross Coffee @7:30

Anyone can join me if they like.

Hey guys,
Looks like we'll have a fairly strong turn-out. Really looking forward to it!

Here's the "revised" course, climbing Kazahari-rindo, instead of the usual "Tomin-no-mori" climb.
It's actually a bit shorter than the original course as well - Just over 100km, for the round-trip back to Itsukaichi.

See you all tomorrow morning :)

Travis

Back
Top Bottom