What's new

Okutama 2...

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Sorry if it sounds like I'm being too "gung-ho" with the hill-climbing thing, but...
...I AM!
I'm really looking forward to doing well in this years "Tour de Kusatsu", and I want to get in as much training in as I can!

HOWEVER, I'm looking at this ride as being a recovery/rest day, so nobody needs to go fast - I'm just looking for a "nice relaxing day, riding up the hills with some friends"! No competition, or fast-stuff; and then a nice meal afterwards with everyone.

So... Saturday, 17th or Sunday, 18th; Let's do Okutama again!
As a big group this time! Last time, there were only 7 riders, so this time let's try to get more.

After the climb & descent, instead of riding all the way to Kami-Shakujii, if we all ride to Hachioji, there's a shop that serves "all-you-can-eat" Shabu-shabu or Sukiyaki, and "all-you-can-drink" beer for 90 minutes for only \3,000.

When we're all "full" of this or that, we can just jump on the train back home!
It really is a great day out for anyone who likes riding a bicycle, and I hope as many of you as possible can join!
Again, the climb is really not that difficult if you just go at your own pace, and you really will have a sense of achievement after it's done! Remember, once you're at the top, it's "all down hill from there!"

Rubber down! Travis

Hi Travis,

if the ride takes place on Saturday I might be able to join - door-to-door that is. :)

Door to door!

Sounds good Thomas!
Will try to make it the Saturday then.
If you're going to ride out there, I promise I'll be with you all the way.
The ride up won't be too fast (unless you want some "friendly competition"). But then we can go back down, and ride up again with everyone else!
What about Sora-san? Are you going to come along too?
Nobu-chan will be there!
Shinobu-san は?
All you guys, it's both a social thing and good training if you want it!
Please! T

Sounds great, but

The Okutama trip sounds great to me if it is not too fast, but I am on business trip to US and will be back on Sunday (March 18). too bad. Maybe next time.:( :( :(

Minoru Arai

Hello Travis,

Can I join this ride? you can put me in...
I will be off on Saturday, 17th and sunday, 18th.
finally, I could manage to have a ride this year with you guys. :rolleyes:

Newton

Of course!

Hey Newton,
Of course you can join us!
Saturday the 17th, we'll probably all meet at either "Haijima" station at 10:30, or "Musashi-Itsukaichi" station at 11:00 - Catch the Chuo-line to Tachikawa, and change to the Ome-line. For "Musashi-Itsukaichi", you might need to wait at Tachikawa for the next train on the Itsukaichi-line.
So far, 4 people!

Travis
Thomas
Nobu-san
Newton

>Arai-san, sorry to hear that you can't make it to Okutama. It would be great to ride with you again before the Tohoku trip.
T

Nobu-chan will be there!
Shinobu-san は?
Please! T
Sorry, I have an appointment in the afternoon. I cannot go.:(

And if I have an enough time in the morning (it means I will not drink enough on Friday evening:warau: ), I will go to check what kind of event the Shonan BICYCLE fes. '07 is. I will report later if I can go.

というわけで、みんな、たのしんできてねぇ~:happy:

Okutama Sat 3/17

Hello
I would like to join your group for the Okutama excursion on Saturday.
I have often taken that road before, it's great, although the car racing
taking place on the hairpin turns can sometimes be un-nerving.
What is the official syuu-gou plae and time?
Best Regards
Hicks

Hi Travis,

At what time are you planning to leave Tokyo and how many km will the total trip?

Sounds good Thomas!
The ride up won't be too fast (unless you want some "friendly competition"). But then we can go back down, and ride up again with everyone else!
Nobu-chan will be there!
Shinobu-san は?
Please! T

初の山登りなんだけど・・・・楽しみにしていま~す♪:bike3:

shinobu-chanは、予定どうかなぁ~?

At what time are you planning to leave Tokyo and how many km will the total trip?

Depends on where live in Tokyo. Travis and I live in the eastern parts, so the entire tour will be around 200 resp. 220km door-to-door for us. That includes the climb up to Tomin-no-mori. :)

Sounds good Thomas!

Green lights for Saturday, Travis. Friendly competition it will be. :D

Looks like six! - Where to meet:

This Saturday, for the Okutama-ko ride, I think we have 6 people coming along!

Travis (me)
Thomas
Nobu
Newton
Hicks
Terry

Thomas and I will be riding out there - 60km from my place to Haijima (50km from Kameido). We'll be riding along Rte.20 for most of the way, if anyone (Terry?) wants to join us for the trip out there.
But the official meeting place is: Musashi-Itsukaichi station at 11:00 - We will wait at Haijima staion until 10:30 for anyone else who wants to add an extra 10km to their ride. But if you're late to Haijima, we can't wait for you - we have to get to the next meeting place (Musashi-Itsukaichi) in 30 minutes.

>Thomas: I'll see you on the corner of Meiji-dori & Rte.14 at 7:30. We'll take a different route than last time - Rte.20 is a little bit shorter.
>Nobu: 輪行袋で、11時に武蔵五日市駅でね!
>Newton: It will be good to see you again! You can use either of the stations written above.
>Hicks: Haijima? Or Itsuka-ichi? It's your choice. It'll be nice meet you & ride with you - send a reply telling us which station you'll be at, please.
>Terry: As Thomas mentioned; It depends on where in Tokyo you are!
Anyway, we'll be riding along Rte.20 almost all the way out there, so if you can give us a "closest station" name, or a road-number that cuts across "20", we can meet you there on the corner of your choice.

There's still time for anyone else who wants to come along, so put your name down!
Later! Travis

No Rain!

Weather permitting, I'm in. I will probably meet you at Haijima. My train will get in at 10:04, but I have a 3-minute connection at Hachioji. If I miss the connection the next train gets in at 10:29.

If he is free, Sean and possibly his friend Ben might come.

After climbing over Kazahari and down to the lake with you I might go left and over Imagawa pass on route 18 (very steep!) into Yamanashi and join route 411 there, to loop back to Ome. Zoom out from here to see it:

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&h...ll=35.776809,138.920832&spn=0.047421,0.107975

Or I might go down route 411, through the tunnels and then hang a right to go over Nokogiri-Yama (another tough climb) to link with Itsukaichi. See it here:

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&h...&ll=35.779385,139.099874&spn=0.04742,0.107975

I'd rather play in the mountains and bail at a station than ride into the city traffic.

Either way it should be fun if it doesn't rain.

This Saturday, for the Okutama-ko ride, I think we have 6 people coming along!

Travis (me)
Thomas
Nobu
Newton
Hicks
Terry

Thomas and I will be riding out there - 60km from my place to Haijima (50km from Kameido). We'll be riding along Rte.20 for most of the way, if anyone (Terry?) wants to join us for the trip out there.
But the official meeting place is: Musashi-Itsukaichi station at 11:00 - We will wait at Haijima staion until 10:30 for anyone else who wants to add an extra 10km to their ride. But if you're late to Haijima, we can't wait for you - we have to get to the next meeting place (Musashi-Itsukaichi) in 30 minutes.

>Thomas: I'll see you on the corner of Meiji-dori & Rte.14 at 7:30. We'll take a different route than last time - Rte.20 is a little bit shorter.
>Nobu: 輪行袋で、11時に武蔵五日市駅でね!
>Newton: It will be good to see you again! You can use either of the stations written above.
>Hicks: Haijima? Or Itsuka-ichi? It's your choice. It'll be nice meet you & ride with you - send a reply telling us which station you'll be at, please.
>Terry: As Thomas mentioned; It depends on where in Tokyo you are!
Anyway, we'll be riding along Rte.20 almost all the way out there, so if you can give us a "closest station" name, or a road-number that cuts across "20", we can meet you there on the corner of your choice.

There's still time for anyone else who wants to come along, so put your name down!
Later! Travis

I never done a such long distance:( I will take my bag, in case I get tired on the return. I could take train.
Considering that I leave in Hiroo, where could we meet?

Count Me In!

Will be at Itsukaichi @ 11.
I have a date in town in the evening, so may have to bail early.
AW.

Hi Tra さん

いいな・・・この企画!私も一緒に行きたかったけど、仕事があります。
また企画してくださいね。私もトレーニングが必要:)
Nobu、残念だけど仕事なの・・・楽しんで来てね。
今度は31日に会えるかな。楽しみにしてます:happy:

Eight!

Like the enthusiasm!
Looks like we'll have a pretty serious group heading up the hill(s).
The team so far:

Travis
Thomas
Nobu
Newton
Hicks
Terry
Aaron
Alan

>Terry: If you're coming from Hiroo, the best place to meet Thomas & I would be Shinjuku station at the "New South Exit" which is on Rte.20. We'll be riding past there a little after 8:00, so if you can be there by 8am, we can ride out together from there.
>Aaron: Don't worry! If you miss your connection at Hachioji, we'll wait for that 10:29 train. This'll make it 3 in a row for us, buddy!
>Alan: Glad you can join us! We'll probably arrive at Musashi-Itsukaichi just after 11:00, but I think the other 3 riders who aren't riding out will be there too.

Also, here is the site for the place I was thinking of having dinner at in Hachioji - MooMoo Paradise! 90 mins. All you can eat shabu-shabu/sukiyaki, & all you can drink BEER for \3,000!
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/a068814/menu1.htm

Praying for NO RAIN!
Travis

Itinerary!

I'm well aware that on these kind of group rides there are always "variables" that can slow things down a bit.
But here's how I'm looking at Saturday…

Thomas and I will ride out from eastern Tokyo, and roll past Shinjuku station at 8:00 to pick up Terry along the way. From Shinjuku, it's about 40km to Haijima where we'll meet Aaron (Hopefully just after 10:00, but possibly 10:30), and continue on to Musashi-Itsukaichi as quickly as we can.

We'll fill up our drink-bottles and get some food to take with us at Musashi-Itsukaichi station – There's also a toilet near the station for anyone who needs it.
11:30 – Roll out towards the start of the climb – 17km. The ride out there will be deliberately slow – there will be some beginners, as well as other good riders who are simply "out of training", and we want to keep the whole group together, so please don't complain about the slow pace in the initial phase – things will pick up.
12:30 – Re-group at the official "start" of the climb, and get ready to rumble!
For the faster riders; Thomas, Alan, Aaron, Hicks?, Terry?, Travis, Newton?…. I think we can have a bit of "friendly competition" and race to the top - 15km!
Remember, Thomas, Terry and I will have already ridden 50-80km just to get to the start, so…. Anyway, no excuses!
Thomas and me have both made it to the top in under an hour on previous rides, and I expect some of you will not be too far behind (possibly in front!!) of that time.
So, most of us should be at the summit (Kazehari-toge) by 13:30.
If there are any slower riders, I intend on going back down to pace the last man (woman) up to the top.

Everyone should be there by 14:00, and then we can head down to the lake.
To Aaron and Alan; if you are pushed for time, and don't want to hang around up there, please feel free to roll down the hill without us to your respective goals!

After we get down to the lake, we'll have a break at the little shop there – and BEER, before we start the ride down through the tunnels towards Ome at 15:30.
Ome is exactly 30km down-hill through about 18 tunnels, which should take about an hour.

16:30 – Re-group at Ome, before heading down Rte.16. to Hachioji, and real food!
It's just over 20km from Ome to Hachioji, so we should arrive at about 17:30 – 18:00.
After we've eaten, the train station is just there for the people going that way. But Thomas and I will still have 50/60km respectively to ride back home.

I hope this timing is suitable for everybody!
Really looking forward to this one!!!
Travis

P.S. Some contrast photos of the summit - Kazehari-toge (風張峠)!

Pic 1: Taken on March 27th, 2006. On my old steel-frame bike (solo ride).
Pic 2: Taken on January 7th, 2007. On the last TCC "Tour d'Okutama" ride.
Pic 3: My time to the top on my last attempt! 57mins; 30secs!

Hi,

Travis, I will send you my ketai number.
I will try to do all trip with you. In case I feel tired, could I return to Tokyo from Hachioji?:warau:

I'm in (I think !)

This looks like an excellent tour and I would like to join too. Getting a new 27T cassette tomorrow too so no excuse really !!

Charles

Back
Top Bottom