What's new

Ride Okinawa Trip

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
Heading to Okinawa for a short cycling trip on the 24th. I've been to the main island before but it's my first time to go to the smaller islands so suggestions and comments are more than welcome. I'll spend the first day getting to Amami Oshima. My schedule is fixed in terms flights, ferries and accommodation but if I've skipped any spots you think I should definitely hit, then feel free to post it here.

Day 2 Amami Oshima - loosely based on this event.

Day 3 Tokunoshima

Day 4 Tokunoshima - will stay the extra day because of the ferry schedule.

Day 5 Main Island

Day 6 Main Island

Cheers - I've got a bit of flexibility on Day 6 depending on how I'm feeling I might venture a bit further North. There are a lot of tempting mountain roads up that way.

Actually I'm a married man - I guess I'll just have to settle for a fun cycling trip and chaste thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm going to call today a day of mixed blessings. Arrived at Amami Oshima without incident, it was drizzling steadily but I figured I'd just risk it and try to dodge the showers. I got about 30kms and then pulled in at a servo and slipped up on a metal grating, went down on my left hip hard, and gave my left brifter a solid hammering.
Decided I'd had enough of being rained on and crashing and headed back to town, parked my bike at the drugstore, came outside to find that someone had driven over my rear wheel and driven off. My rear wheel was cactus and no driver in sight.
I filed a police report with the help of a bystander and carried my bike to several mamachari shops in a vain attempt at repairs. No dice.
Gave up and went to my Air BnB, told the owner of my plight and he very generously called up some cyclist friends. One guy said his friend had a wheel that would fit so we took it there and we fitted the wheel. I offered him cash but he wouldn't hear of it. This guy saved my bacon! I thought my trip was over but now I can keep going.
Long story short - If you ever come to Amami Oshima, look up Yasuhiro at the Misholan Bar, he's a cyclist, my guardian angel and he's def getting a belated present from Santa in the mail. It's moments like this that reminds you the world really is full of people willing to do each other a good turn.
Merry Christmas.

On the plus side I've got a new reason to build a new set of wheels. Plus a swollen hip, and a ticket for Tokunoshima :)

Another day, another spin around Tokunoshima. The good weather held up and the gifted wheel is getting a workout. A few back country farm roads and some wide coastal vistas. Ferry to Naha tonight, arrive in the morning and then dodge the rain and up to Nago.
IMG_20151227_091320_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151227_091359.jpg
    IMG_20151227_091359.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20151227_091302.jpg
    IMG_20151227_091302.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20151227_091407.jpg
    IMG_20151227_091407.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
About 20 max, a little cloudy today with a little drizzle.
On a different note, I'm going to need a new set of wheels after that accident, so if anyone has a reasonably lightweight set of 11 speed shimano compatible clincher wheels they're willing to sell I'd be interested. Budget for the wheels is 20000 yen. Also chasing a 9 speed 11-30 cassette and a few road tires 700x23 (I gave away a new one to my generous wheel donor).

Last edited:
Made it back to Naha by ferry without incident and went for a spin up the coast dodging the light drizzle. Stayed at a wonderful old farmhouse in Nago converted into a cheap BnB. The owners have just started offering the place but it has all the comforts of home including a full kitchen and a washing machine. Lovely people and couldn't do enough to make me welcome. Totally recommend it, space for at least four people and they're adding a BBQ and outdoor setting etc.
IMG_20151229_082814.jpg

Next day, over the top of Okinawa and over to the east coast. Some hillclimbing along the way and then wide flat roads back down to Naha.
IMG_20151229_110907.jpg
And now a plane home...

Back
Top Bottom