Oi Futo

Guillaume

Warming-Up
Dec 28, 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking to ride Oi Futo Sunday. What is the best time to go? and any route suggestion from Tamagawa?

Thank you

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
The way that I can describe most simply is: go up Nakahara-kaidō (route 2) till it merges with route 1 (simple so far), and then head off rightwards. Look for signs to Ōsaki station. Keep on in that general direction (the road will wiggle quite a bit), and there you are! (You've probably seen it already, but here's a map of what you're aiming for. You can trace the route on Google Map or similar. Just carry your cellphone for Google Map in case you get lost.)

If you're keen to zoom around at high speeds, that's a good place and Sunday's a good day of the week. If it's tomorrow, do it in the morning before the rains come.

I don't want to deter you, really. And if you get offers of more interesting routes to get there, or of people to go with, great.

But at last my cold is evaporating, and I'm inclined to wake early tomorrow and do a simple, mindless trip upriver to Hamura and back. Even with no cold, my speed is in the twenties. Together with me, you might be very bored/frustrated. OTOH if you haven't yet been up to Hamura, you might like to learn the way (not that it's complicated; I mean, it's a river), and during this you'd be most welcome to zoom ahead on the straights and if/when/where you're confused just wait for grandpa (me) to catch up. (NB there are pedestrians, dog walkers, pram pushers, etc; and no matter how full of beans you may be, safety will dictate that you keep it slow in some stretches.) I could meet you in front of Numabe station or at Maruko-bashi if you were interested.

If you want to see Tokyo and go for a blast, try Arakawa some time. The hillocks from your place to Arakawa (I prefer to join it just beyond Tabata station) will warm you up, and once on the river (in either direction) you'll find stretches where you can cruise at 50 if you're up to it. (And, because this is after all a cycling path, you'll also find metal barriers designed either to deter motorbikes or to kill people like you and me.) Maybe for next weekend.

Guillaume

Warming-Up
Dec 28, 2014
Thank you for your proposal. Tomorrow I will try Oi Futo. Next weekend maybe we can have a ride together. Cheers

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Thank you for your proposal. Tomorrow I will try Oi Futo. Next weekend maybe we can have a ride together. Cheers
Even aside from anything else, you're better off without any risk of catching what's left of my cold. Enjoy yourself at Oi Futo (and I hope that my directions made some sense).

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
I was there this morning,,,,
Did you see anyone in a TCC long sleeve zooming around at lightning speed?
That wasnt me! I was the guy brvely battling the wind... and losing!