What's new

Oh! Toge

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
This Saturday - a mountain top finish stage, Takao-Otoge, 76 km
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/yamanashi/942126931275993329

The desolate heights of Gangaharasuri mt. crawling with wild bears and infernal red-ass monkeys promise a grand spectacle for the KT followers. More than 10000 fans are expected to line up along the route 510 this week-end.

Takao st. 9:00. Sign up in this thread.

PS
If you don't come try not to miss the TV translation on Eurosport.

PPS
There are plenty of options to get back to Takao st. after the finish (rt.30-Wada, rt.20-Odarumi, rt.35). Taking train from Otsuki is one of them.

Sergey, thanks for posting. I'll join you on this one, but may head up to Matsuhime and come home via Tsuru Toge rather than Otoge. I'll be on my new baby so not so sure about riding it on rindo's just yet. Do you plan to return back down the south side of Otoge??

And what time do you think you'll be passing through R517/518. The Big Chilli junction! I'll be there my friend awaiting your arrival:D

Great, Mike! I'll be looking forward to meet your new girlfriend then :D
I'll pass Big Chilli junction around 10.00

BTW, the way up to O-Toge is a 2-lane wide road :cool:
North side might still be in bad condition, so I'll go back to Otsuki and think how to return from there (train or ride back).

Sergey, thanks for posting. I'll join you on this one, but may head up to Matsuhime and come home via Tsuru Toge rather than Otoge. I'll be on my new baby so not so sure about riding it on rindo's just yet. Do you plan to return back down the south side of Otoge??

And what time do you think you'll be passing through R517/518. The Big Chilli junction! I'll be there my friend awaiting your arrival:D

Oh! Toge might live up to its name when on Saturday you discover that "Oh! when it was raining at 4 degrees in Tokyo, it was obviously snowing in the mountains!":eek:

Have fun! ;)

Sergey, not many takers on this ride. What's going on guys, the rain's got everyone down? It's gonna be fine Saturday:D

p.s. Sergey, if Ludwig is right about the snow are you interested in turning it into a Tour de Christoph?

I think the roads will be passable, esp. with a rain-free Friday to dry things up.
Naturally, we can always think of other options, if they are not - I don't see any problem here.

Unless it gets really warm tomorrow (which the forecast says it won't), there is just no way all the snow up there will melt. My guess is you will end up in lots of melt water up to 1,000m, and in actual snow/sleet from there on. And only someone with a cyclocross stands the chance of reaching the top...

Attractive lure

but this fish ain't biting ;). Tell us about your new baby (babe?) Ludwig.

And only someone with a cyclocross stands the chance of reaching the top...

I'm also interested in riding on Saturday, as long as the rain stops, which it is forecast to do. Best to stay below 1000 metres though.
AW

Well, a miracle didn't happen and it looks like it's still too cold to ride in the high mountains :(

Alan, this course looks familiar... and very painful, if done in the opposite direction. Those jolts up Doshi-michi are made to hurt :) - looks good to me :D If it's good to everyone else, then -

Takao st. 9:00
Red-Hot-Chili junction ~10:00

If you decide to go clockwise I can be at Big Chilli at 10 no probs. Let me know.....oh and it's my birthday tomorrow and I'll be on my new baby so hopefully that might sway you to head towards Big Chilli:D

Clockwise is no problem for me (he says from the comfort of his computer!)
As Sergey said, there will be some tough hills going this direction, but should still be fun.
AW.

Thanks for organising the ride Sergey and also thanks goes to Alan for taking us on such a nice route:) It was a blast especially R30, which was a first for me and it felt great to get warm again after the bone penetrating cold around Tsuru shi. Quite incredible the difference in temperatures on that ride. The highest temp recorded on my computer was 23c, pretty interesting if you take into account the light dusting of snow I received on my way through Miyagase.

All in all a great ride and a perfect one for Dave before heading back to Oslo. It was a pleasure to join you on your last TCC ride. All the best mate:bike:

180km for the day, 2700m of climbing and my new machine felt great. Oh, and it was my birthday. Does it get any better than this? Not a chance:D

Thanks for your company, gentlemen - riding with you is always such a painful pleasure :)

After more than 100 km of ups and downs, the desire to bail out before Wada, our final torture, was very strong, but I somehow survived the climb with nearly-cramping legs...
...overtaking a 63 y.o. MTB granny on the 12% section. Usually, it is not something to boast about, but not when you learn that she participates in hill climb races and, every year, stacks more miles in her legs than Thomas does :D

It was a good ride and good training. I just hope there will be a couple of warmer days before Kusatsu.

Dave, it was a great pleasure to ride with you. Have a safe trip!

Gents,

Thanks for a great last TCC, even if the finale was (just about) beating a 63 year old iron lady up Wada Toge!!

It was another day that provided a host of great memories to take back to Europe.

Mike - enjoy the new bike and the latin lessons that come with it!
Sergey - best of luck with Kusatsu - you seem to be getting some great form in.
Alan - thanks for leading so well as ever.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom