What's new

Official Ride Official TCC Sprinters and HC Handicap race

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Due to the lack of interest in my TCC stage race I have tweaked things a bit to make it shorter and more of a social outing. Hopefully this will attract more participants:pray:

Date: Saturday, September 8th at 9am

Meeting place: The Big Chilli (Junction of R517/R518)

Course: A 77km loop known as The Tour de Christoph

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/118862133

The Objective

To have 3 sprints with riders vying for these nice Avatars and a hill climb handicap race giving every one a chance of victory! A ride for all:D

The Plan

After meeting up at the Big Chilli, Tom will roll off and be waiting for us at the first sprint point (Anyone wishing to join him is more than welcome to). It will be a social ride until the 15km point from where the first sprint jostling can begin. At the end of each sprint I'll write the top 5 places into my notebook while everyone is recovering. This will give us all time to regroup and then saddle up for the next sprint. All 3 sprints are in different places, marked with a checkered flag on the map. The green arrows are the points at which jostling can begin. After the three sprints are done we'll head to a convenience store for a quick lunch (35km point on the map). From there it's to the starting point for the hill climb, and riders will be given time handicaps and start in that order. The first over the top will be the winner and then it's back to a social ride for the next 30km or so.

The Sprints:

#1 Marked on the map from 15km - 18.5km.

Once we cross the 15km point I'll call game on and riders can start doing turns or attack if you like! The finish line is at the end of a long straight under the Digital Weather Sign. Tom will be there to help with counting positions over the line. Here's a photo to help:

photo1-1-1.jpg

Points for this sprint:
1st - 10 points
2nd - 8points
3rd - 7 points
4th -6 points
5th -5 points

#2 Marked on the map from 19.5 - 22km

This is an intermediate sprint due to the small climb up to it (around 4-5%), and a good place for sneaky attacks from climbers! If the sprinters work together though I think they can limit their losses. Because of the climb I don't expect a bunch sprint so the finish line is the white sign on the left, just before the tunnel but let's assemble at the exit so just keep on rolling through:

photo2-3.jpg

Intermediate sprint so half points, sorry cheeky climbers:p

1st - 5 points
2nd - 4 points
3rd - 3 points
4th - 2 points
5th - 1 point

#3 Marked on the map from 26km - 29km

After a refreshing descent we'll gather as a bunch again so if you're out in front please just spin a bit and allow the group to reform. Once again I'll call game on and attacks welcome! The finish line is on a nice straight with a retirement home on the right. Tom will be waiting there again cheering us on. Here's a photo:

photo32.jpg

Points for this sprint:
1st - 10 points
2nd - 8points
3rd - 7 points
4th -6 points
5th -5 points

I'll take the final points down but won't reveal the winners until the finish of the ride. From here we'll head to a convenience store for refreshments.

The Handicap Hill Climb

This is marked on the map from 36.5km - 46.2km and ends at the tunnel entrance at the top of the climb. There's a nice spot at the start line to gather and send riders off. It's about 10km at an average gradient of around 4-5%, with a few steepish sections in it. They have felled quite a few trees on some of the corners so there are now some nice views to be had. It took me about 35 minutes last weekend at a moderate pace. There won't be any avatars up for grabs for this one, it's just purely for fun. However please bring your competitive spirit!

I'd like to use a handicap time system so it depends on riders abilities. Try to find a time for a 10km climb you've done recently with about the same gradient. If you can't find one of that length 5km should do the trick... I don't want to make it complicated, so just give me an estimate by Private Message. If Clay turns up some of the slower riders may get a 15 minute head start:confused:

Again, this is just for fun, so please don't take it too seriously!

The Ride Home

Once over the final climb we'll ride at a moderate/social pace to the finish point and gather at the 7-11 on the right hand side of R413 as the Daily Mart at the finish point has now gone! The 7-11 is at the 74km mark. Here we'll grab refreshments and announce the days winners for both the sprint and handicap race. How about a free ice cream for the top 3 of each race?

I've designed this course to make it fun for everyone and I hope this will encourage more riders to come out and join in the fun! I often hear complaints about how TCC races are too fast, too hard and too long for slower riders. This is YOUR chance to shine:cool: Please write your name below if you'd like to attend! I hope to see you there:D

Thanks for organizing, Mike! Sounds fun, I'm in.
Also if you need a few more volunteers, please let me know.

Hopefully my work will not get in the way that weekend.

Eugen

Thanks for putting this together, Mike! I'll definitely try to make this one.

Deej

Because of the climb I don't expect a bunch sprint so the finish line is the entrance to the tunnel but let's assemble at the exit so just keep on rolling through:

photo2-3.jpg

I know you don`t expect a bunch sprint, but just in case, moving the finish line just back a fraction to that white sign on the left (or further, parallel to the start of the white fencing on the right side) seems a tad safer and would nip in the bud any of the potential problems that could occur from having a tunnel entrance as the finish line.

I know you don`t expect a bunch sprint, but just in case, moving the finish line just back a fraction to that white sign on the left (or further, parallel to the start of the white fencing on the right side) seems a tad safer and would nip in the bud any of the potential problems that could occur from having a tunnel entrance as the finish line.

Good call! The white sign it is....just to be a bit safer. And thanks for the response guys, great to have you aboard if you can make it!

p.s. Deej, where's your Bronze KOM avatar? I thought it would be sorted by now!

Ha ha nice one....So you're in mate? Haven't seen you in ages!

Workworkwork and private fulfillment away from the bike, it's all good though. If there are no other upcoming matters, I look forward to chase the sprints in a big pack on Sep8th

I'm sorry to say I can't make it. Will be back in Japan only on September 9th. Sounds like fun though.

should be great fun - will be there

I'll be there...

... For the social aspect!
I don't expect to be competing for anything just yet.
But it will be great to catch up with all you guys again!
Travis

p.s. Deej, where's your Bronze KOM avatar? I thought it would be sorted by now!

Not sure, man. I think Thomas is waiting for a bribe. :)

And good idea about not having a tunnel finish. I was wondering about that, myself.

Hope I can hold my form. Clay and I were riding together recently, and there was a real Wiggins-Froome dynamic going on. Might we see some upsets? :p

Mike I will try to join it, should be good to catch up with TCCers, but not for sprinting - just for fun.

Hope I can hold my form. Clay and I were riding together recently, and there was a real Wiggins-Froome dynamic going on. Might we see some upsets? :p

*sniff* Go ahead and say it - I was Deejinated. Oh, the shame, oh the humiliation!

EC11_Photo_108.jpg

*sniff* Go ahead and say it - I was Deejinated. Oh, the shame, oh the humiliation!

Like, Vino, I think I can retire now. Go out at the top. :)

But it has to be said that Clay dragged me over a bunch of hills all morning, and it was not until the final climb, during which I sucked his wheel the entire time, that I pipped him at the top.

Oh yeah, and he was using a 39/23, compared with my 34/25.

But damn, it did feel good to cross the line ahead of Clay, however unfair my advantage.

Participants

Like, Vino, I think I can retire now. Go out at the top. :)

But it has to be said that Clay dragged me over a bunch of hills all morning, and it was not until the final climb, during which I sucked his wheel the entire time, that I pipped him at the top.

Oh yeah, and he was using a 39/23, compared with my 34/25.

But damn, it did feel good to cross the line ahead of Clay, however unfair my advantage.

Ha ha sounds like a good tactic to me Deej, I'm one of the best wheel suckers out there, just ask Serguei:D

Participants so far:

1. Mike
2. Tom
3. Takaaki
4. Serguei
5. WhiteGiant (Travis)
6. Deej
7. Echothree (Clay)
8. Gunjira

Possibles:
Eugen
Malte
Ikeda Williams (John)

Come on guy and gals, don't be shy! This should be a great social ride at a level for all! Handicap hill climb.......handicap hill climb.....did you hear that:p

Mike, you can add my name to the list. [EDIT] I see that you've now added it. Cheers!

As for tactics, it was more like hanging on for dear life, expecting Clay to put in his inevitable surge at any moment.

Ha ha sounds like a good tactic to me Deej, I'm one of the best wheel suckers out there, just ask Serguei:D

Participants so far:

1. Mike
2. Tom
3. Takaaki
4. Serguei
5. WhiteGiant (Travis)
6. Deej

Possibles:
Gunjira
Eugen
Echothree (Clay, you in?)

Come on guy and gals, don't be shy! This should be a great social ride at a level for all! Handicap hill climb.......handicap hill climb.....did you hear that:p

Mike, I think I've drafted of you way more than the other way around!

And please put me on the "definitely" list

Back
Top Bottom