What's new

Official Ride Official Evening 10km TCC TT

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Official Evening 10km TCC TT

Earlier this year the idea of forming more official TCC events was discussed and it was put on the backburners until a suitable location could be found to host a regular event.

Having searched for good locations for events on my daily rides I have found the perfect location to hold a weekly evening 10km solo time trial. The location is on the newly finished Tsurumigawa Cycle road.

The plan is to hold the event every Thursday night from 7pm to 9pm (we can extend to 10pm depending on take up) along the stretch of cycle road here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/545080

The reason we chose this location is due to the surface of the course and that there are no obstructions or speed bumps over the duration of the distance. The start and turn around points are dead ends so safer than mid road and the course is very wide enabling us to use it safely with the general public.

It will be a series of 15 solo TT's with riders taking the average of their best 10 rides over the course of the summer and autumn. The times will then be calculated and then Prizes awarded to the Top 3 male, female and junior riders.

The weekly results will be posted up on the forums for all to see.

HIGH5 and G.S Astuto have kindly offered to sponsor the series and donate prizes for the winners.

Also we ask that each entrant pay ¥500 per race to pay for things like print outs, race numbers, stop watches and eventually the certificates and trophies for the winners. Hopefully we will then have enough to maybe get a proper timing system for next year. Anything left over will be handed over to Thomas to pay for future events.

This is a full endorsed TCC club event so your support would be greatly appreciated.

• You do not need a TT specific bike to participate.
  • You do not need to commit to the whole 15 TT's or the 10 to qualify; you can just turn up and race just for fun or training.
  • The event is held on a public cycle way although we plan to have marshals (Volunteers please) on the course caution needs to be given at all times to other users.
  • This is a TCC Club event and low key, although we would like as many participants as possible to make this a fun event we do ask to let us know beforehand if you are coming and how many intend to join if you are bringing others.

I'm in on this! Peronsally I despise TT's with all my heart - but they are a brutally honest and necessary part of any cycling fun event.

Ok people, The first TCC TT will be held on Thursday 21st of July 2011.

I will be arriving at 6:55pm to set things up and talk with the marshals who have volunteered to man the turn around and also the finish.

If you are coming please let me know here.... or if you have any question I'd be gald to answer.

James

I remember this road - very fast and wide path. But I almost had an accident there going really fast when a flock of mamachari descended from the hill side next to the river - don't know who was more scared, me (making my way though them at almost 40 km/h) or mamacharians.

I'd love to try it once, but my work starts at 7pm, so can't participate (except maybe once in a while :))

Good luck!

Yeah this i why we will marshalls on the course to make sure riders are aware of any obstruction but i've been done there alot around the times stated and the traffic for some reason is on the otherside of the river.

Also just for the record UK time trails are done on public roads, one popular coursehad 2 roundabouts in it and if you were very unlucky you had to give way to traffic or worse yet getcaught behind a tractor.

It's one of the things that makes Club level TT's fun.

The TT route is my old training ground very close to the place I lived in Yokohama between 2009 and 2010. Depending on the time of the day it is relatively free of pedestrians and obstacles. A concern would be the soccer/baseball field with a constant stream of kids and mothers crossing the path between the field and the terraced slope. It might be a good idea to position a marshall there.

Well, I hope I will be in back in Japan in time to attend one of the TTs.

This sounds really interesting and quite fun. I cannot make it out this week, but from next week onwards it looks fine. I figure I will not be setting any amazing times on my 48-17 Bianchi, but looking forward to pushing myself and picking up some tips/advice from you guys.

MXS.... this week might get I would say rained off but Typhooned off is more like it.

Will announce either tonight or tomorrow if its on or not.

James, and the other organizers - thank you for bringing this to life!
This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to bring TCC riders together on a weekly basis with the goal to become stronger individually and as a club. (or just to have fun)
I will surely take part in this as much as time allows, as my new place is not that far off.

One suggestion is to also maybe use this as a drafting, team building exercise once the individual TTs are over and the riders gathered at the goal (or do 2person TTs of equal strength riders). This could be great stomping grounds for challenging the next Tokyo Enduro and similar events.

Gunjira..... riders are free to do what they want after.... I suggest we do what we did in the UK after evening 10's. Head to the nearest pub and gloat or make up excuses for lack of performance :D

Hi James - I'm still planning to head there tomorrow. Will take the train - from Shibuya its about 35min which isn't so bad. I'm completely soused on Blue Aguave tequila right now - so will base my 24hr recovery / Norikura prep on that precursor. Bench racing is the best part of any amatuer experience.

As this is Japan and you are doing this on a public road/path, and it is organised under the TCC name then sorry to pooh-pooh things but I think you really need to check up on the insurance side - either ensure every rider has their own third party liability insurance or that TCC has an umbrella policy for participants (probably difficult to arrange, so I would go for the first option).

Hi James - I'm still planning to head there tomorrow. Will take the train - from Shibuya its about 35min which isn't so bad. I'm completely soused on Blue Aguave tequila right now - so will base my 24hr recovery / Norikura prep on that precursor. Bench racing is the best part of any amatuer experience.

Tim, raining this one off mate the roads are sodden wet and the bridges that cross the inlets are metal so are slippery and a little dangerous if people are crossing them at speed.

Best to err on caution.

James, am I correct, that even with the turn to the better, tonight is still off?

Yes its off the surface water is still pretty bad.

A little far and late for me.

Also sounds a little dangerous- I've seen how those others "ride" their bikes and hardly trust em when I'm at low speed in the day (forget top speed at night).

*Note ride in quotes as it seems that some people turn off their brains when they are on a bike.

Singed old phudiduddy that has a family to think of.

Lawrence,

Many thanks for your input but unless you have actually ridden the section marked off I suggest you hold off from stating you opinions. Granted if its too far for you too come thats not a problem but making sweeping statements that could result in others deciding not to attend is not really supporting the club.

It would be more benifitial to all to actually come down, ride the section at your speed and decide if you want to clock a time based on fact and not wild assumptions or experiences on other cycle roads.

I actually took the time to go down there on numerous occasions at different times to work out the safest period of time to have 1 or 2 riders on the suggested course and Thursday night between 7-9 is practically dead.

Even on Saturdays and Sundays the Tsurumigawa is very rarely used and the wide (We are talking two trucks can pass each other) cycle road is rarely used by pedestrians whom prefer the views of the river from the pedestrain road.

I've ridden this section many many times and the reason it was chosen is the fact that it terminates at two dead ends means that other users prefer to use the Kawasaki side of the river and not the Yokohama side.

Anyway, I will be there this Thursday between 7 - 9 if no one turns up thats cool.

I'm going to try and come around, but it might be a close call with overtime.

Gunjira,

Not a problem, I suggest you bring a light though if it gets too late.

Im going to take a video of the actual course so that others canget a feel of the route and also the amount of traffic on the CC.

Tim and also one other are confirmed for tomorrow evening and I also think Hiroshi from C-Speed will attend.

Sounds like fun...

Maybe it should be officially unofficial... and have a rule to abandon if the path is hindered by a wandering pedestrian, dog, or other...

We stopped our Sunday morning 13km sprints on the Edo river. Not because we caused any accidents over the 7 years of doing them but because people were complaining that we were going too fast and were possibly too dangerous.

We don't wear our team jerseys when speeding now... and of course we are very careful not to cause people to be scared of us....

Wish I was in shape and nearby... I love the river rumbles...

Back
Top Bottom