Off topic - Picasa image hosting

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
This is peripherally cycling related: If any of you use Google Picasa for hosting pictures and videos from bike rides and races, I had a bit of a surprise with that yesterday.

When I wanted to upload pictures from my long ride in Miura, I got a message telling me I was over my space limit, something like "21345 MB (100%) out of 1024 MB" and offering me to upgrade my plan from free to paid. I previously had a paid Google Picasa plan, 80 GB for $20 per year which was pretty decent, but switched back to the free plan. However, their current prices are 2.4-4.8 higher per GB than the plan I used to have (e.g. $30/yr for 25 GB and $60 per year for 100 GB). The old plan is no longer available to free account customers.

As it turned out, no paid upgrade is needed. The basic reason I had discontinued the paid plan was that I found out that images up to 1600x1200 pixels and videos up to 10 minutes did not actually count towards the limit. I can live with that for all my pictures. The limit has actually been raised to 2048x2048 pixels and videos of up to 15 minutes. So if you go with the default and have your uploaded pics resized to fit within the resolution limit, you still don't need to fork out cash. You can just tell the Picasa app to no longer show the warning and click "OK" and it will go ahead and keep uploading.

Google hasn't tightened up anything, they just added an ominous sounding warning to create a bit of friction to get people to pull out their credit cards.

Whew! They almost got my money!

Sep 2, 2009
I find all of the image / whatever hosting site to be horribly interfaced and over complex; nothing beats hosting stuff yourself!

Does cost a fair bit of money and effort though, and leads to all sorts of temptations...

I do pay $5 per year for the Google Drive 20gb package. That has been a god-send for the day job!

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Small biz users of google apps are now being tapped for $50/yr.

Not much, really, but I wouldn't be surprised at google monetizing various things that were, in the past, free.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I find all of the image / whatever hosting site to be horribly interfaced and over complex; nothing beats hosting stuff yourself!
I do have my own servers at data centres (two of them in fact), but Picasa makes it just so easy to upload, title, arrange and comment pictures and then use them as URLs at all kinds of resolutions. I could have used a package like Irfanview to resize to multiple resolutions, but would have to spend a fair bit more of my time, in effect making the free use of my own servers more costly than Google's subscription plans. Just about all the pictures I've been posting here are Picasa-hosted.