What's new

(Off topic) PayPal fun and games

I went through the process about 2 months ago. I think PayPal has been rolling out the verification in phases, starting with their biggest volume users. (Another guy I know went through the process about 4 months ago) (I am a very heavy user for my business).

I was also a bit pissed off when I got the notice I could only spend something like 7,000 yen before verifying. Anyway, I went through the business registration process, used my camera to snap a picture of my gaijin card, had a problem with the address, and the phone staff were extremely helpful at sorting it out. Got my code in the mail after about 4 days.

About the addresses, you can register many addresses, and choose which one to use as the shipping address when you authorize a payment. so it does not matter that you registered your address in kanji.

You can use japanese accounts to pay for services, in my experience.

My knee jerk reaction was also to be pissed off then I realised it is being done to actually protect me.

Me too. I now feel a lot better about the experience, and I was happy to asked to complete an online survey asking about my satisfaction with PP support system.

But I can't help being peeved about being told about this so late in the day.

Apparently we were sent an email back in October - no doubt like me you ignored it and placed it straight in the trash can :D

Apparently we were sent an email back in October - no doubt like me you ignored it and placed it straight in the trash can :D

Nope, updated my verification back then, but I had to deal with faxes and the Singapore office, took two weeks to set up to get payments. Probably not helped by not having a Japanese credit card. Might apply for one one day but my account has little money as the wife manages all the finances.

I am also just now jumping though their hoops. When given 4 different options on how to proof my identity, I picked my Japanese driver's license, but a couple of days later they came back and told me that didn't do for non-Japanese citizens. I had to give them either an Alien Registration card or kihon daicho card (which replaces the Alien Registration card in the new system). So I scanned my Alien card as a PDF and wanted to upload it, but the upload form does not have an option for Alien Registration card, only kihon daicho. I hope they'll accept it anyway...

The procedure is not as smooth as I hoped, but better than what I experienced from other internationally operating companies that try to very identity. For example, one major certificate authority wouldn't sell my small company a code signing certificate just because the utility bills for my legally registered company are in my (personal) name, as my office is at home.

Back
Top Bottom