What's new

(Off topic) PayPal fun and games

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
I guess almost everyone here has a PayPal account, and at some point it's likely they will use it to buy bike bits ... so perhaps this post isn't so off-topic after all :rolleyes:

Today I was shocked to learn in an email from PayPal that I could only use PayPal to buy another $40 of goods, and after that my account would be frozen! Turns out that some time this year they decided you could only buy $1000 worth of goods (not per month ..... For ever!) unless you verify your account.

I had to upload scans of my alien card to PayPal, then I got an email telling me to log in and change my address so it exactly matches what's on the card. Then I had to call them to change my registered name so it exactly matches my card! Oh, and you have to call them from the same phone number tied to your PayPal account!

Finally I have to wait two weeks for them to make sure I am really me, then they will send me a postcard containing a code number. then I have to log in again and enter the number online! If I am lucky I will then be able to use PayPal again :mad::p:mad:

Sorry for the rant, but this has really got my goat!

I think this only effects Japanese PayPal accounts, so some of you will probably be OK. But if you have a Japanese account, log into your account and see if there is a little link asking you to verify your account. I advise doing it before you are down to your last $40!

A relaxing afternoon has been ruined by PayPay making me go postal ...

Anyways .... Happy new year!

Yep - same here!

What I don't understand is that my account was verified through my Credit Card last year.

Also Im wondering - now that you have changed your address in paypal to JAPANESE - will this cause issues with international purchases?

I worry too .... But my registered credit card address is still in English, and the name associated to my name matches the way my name is written for my credit card.

It's freaky. A couple of months ago I ran into trouble with an overseas vendor because he said he didn't understand my registered PayPal address, which at that time was in English. Somehow at his end it was in Japanese ....

Going PayPal is the new going postal :eek:

I've had my Paypal for years now and it's all Canadian info, but when I buy stuff from eBay it's updated with my Tokyo address so my stuff is sent to the right place and I've never had issues.

The catch may be that I verified my account (two separate cards) in Canada with Canadian credit cards. And I have bought way more than $1,000.

Maybe the trick is matching residence, credit, and banking info in the country of residence.

You thought that was fun! Wait until you go through the business acct registration! It would be nice if their document request system actually worked, too. Uploads fail, their FAX doesn't answer unless you set yours to monochrome. And the ever annoying, 'Our websiteis Under Construction'. How shady are they , anyway?

LOL

This only affects Paypal Japan, as far as I can see. My UK account has no such issues.

Having to FAX (LOL), provide addresses as they appear exactly, exact names, paperwork (LOL), etc etc is such a sure fire indication that the Paypal system here has been 'Japanified'. Drives me mad.

Paypal - <insert rant that involves vocabulary beyond what I can conceive>

Paypal and I have gone round and round. I hate them. I have let them know.
I made a purchase a couple years ago and the seller sent crap.
I attempted to use their buyer protection.... ha!
They told me since I purchased and he delivered, they are done.
Even tho the delivery did not match the purchase.

Since moving to Japan, I have encountered similar issues.
I updated my back and credit cards with my new address no problem.
It took paypal weeks to 'ok' me moving to Japan.

I despise them.

LOL

This only affects Paypal Japan, as far as I can see. My UK account has no such issues.

Having to FAX (LOL), provide addresses as they appear exactly, exact names, paperwork (LOL), etc etc is such a sure fire indication that the Paypal system here has been 'Japanified'. Drives me mad.

Haha - japan... Those silly sods (did I spell that correctly?)

PayPal Japan has other more restrictive rules that don't apply outside Japan. For example, you're not allowed to use it to send money that isn't in return for goods (not sure about services), such as donations. Supposedly to prevent money laundering...

When PayPal first came along we got a business account for the Liquor Shop. It was one way that some customers could pay us, for example, someone in the US wants to send a bottle to a friend for a present etc, easy way to pay as PP. We had an account for 5 or more years, no problem, then one day I get a cryptic E-mail saying our account is locked out and we have 30 days to transfer any funds out of it...... WTF? :mad:
I ask what happened, we have never had a complaint etc, they tell us.....eventually.... that we have broken some rules of PayPal etc and that we will no longer be able to have an account....? OK what rule did we break? Turns out the Nazis at PP decided that they would not allow any account to deal with tobacco :eek: We sell cigars, so our shop cannot have a PP account. I asked if we could still use it to take payments for wine, but they refused. This was well before there was a Japanese PP this was the home office in the US. We are selling a perfectly legal product, cigars, we are licensed in Japan to sell cigars, we even have an online license to sell cigars, but the nattering nabobs in the US decide the their service cannot be used to provide payment for this product because they don't like it.

Utter A$$HOLES.

I almost never use it now, maybe once a year, I never run a balance of any sort and I wish there was a better way to make small payments to companies or people that are not set up to take credit cards.

I blame paypal. It was a perfect day until PP abused me.

So I had a beer, them went out to meet the parents of a babe I recently met.

Perfect evening

Them I fell flat on my face and had to endures the battle to find a hospital open

..on 31st.

*******ing painful!

12 stitches in my lip.

I blame PayPal for everything.

OK - I had a very long chat with a very plesant and informed chap at Paypal yesterday.

It isn't actually PayPal's fault - they are implimenting changes to conform with the new laws that were passed after a massive online scam with penny auction and several well known actresses and pinup models.

It's basically been done to protect buyers from scammers who make false bids in order to drive up revenue and the price of items and I think it's a bloody good thing to as I think I was at the end of one of these price drives on ebay a few years back which resulted in me paying almost the same price for a a used item as the new one would have cost.

I followed the instructions, which were a peice of piss - took a photo using my mobile phone of my ID and then uploaded it to the site - manually changed my address in to Kanji (again peice of piss and if you are shite with Japanese then just type your address in Google maps and cut and paste the Japanese that comes up)

They say that you can't change the name on your own, this is not the case and maybe a new change. I was able to put my middle name in without issue. I then sent an email to the address given informing them that my information had all been updated - this morning I received confirmation of the changes and the 5 digit pin number would be mailed to me.

Job done, no real hassle and good customer service with well informed staff working on New Years Eve and New Years Day.

LOL

Fax - mate its all digital! me thinks you're pulling me plonker!

Interesting, hadn't noticed that. Can't say that I use paypal all that much in Japan with other methods being a bit more prevalent. still, looking at the instructions it doesn't look like such a big deal.

thanks for the heads up.

Ah, right, mention of penny auction causing all this makes sense now; that was all kicking off recently wasn't it?

For example, you're not allowed to use it to send money that isn't in return for goods (not sure about services), such as donations.
I used my account ('verified' years ago) the other day to donate to Wikipedia.

I wish there was a better way to make small payments to companies or people that are not set up to take credit cards.
Yes I wish that too. I went 'merchant' a couple of years ago to handle payments for jerseys and cycling events. It would be nice to just get money instead of having to make excuses for PayPal taking a chunk of it.

I blame PayPal for everything.

Get well soon, snoogly.

Apparently it was kicking off for some time - the laws were passed in October and apparently the investigation in to Penny Auction goes back a further as they had to track down who the false idenities belong to etc. it's only recently that they have named and shamed as well as made arrests.

Also one of the other issues paypal has been having is how credit cards here in Japan works - you don't actually borrow the money from the bank but the retailer you are purchasing from, any credit is arranged and agreed upon with the retailer - thus why they ask how many times you want to pay in the stores.

Because of this its caused issues with paypal here in Japan and these changes to securing your ID is one of the things they have also had to implement.

Also in regards to the Japanese address causing issues with the retailer and shipping - the custom service rep informed me that once you have authenticated the account with the PIN you can then change the account details back to how they were before, including the address to Romaji.

To be honest I really don't know what the song and dance is about, it was painless to do and was all sorted within 5 minutes online and within 24 hours I was told a PIN was on the way.

I used my account ('verified' years ago) the other day to donate to Wikipedia.

I think you'll find that like me its the credit card and address that is verified not your proof of identity which is what this is all about. Go take a look and see if you have a limit set on the account.

Back
Top Bottom