What's new

Off Topic - Internet Help Please.

Though, if you are some of the newer 'hyperflets' (1000gb) lines - the router/DSU is 'locked' to your DMARK. That happened to me when I installed a KDDI 1000gb line. I HAD to use their supplied router. No way to clone the MAC or other firmware ID. Wasn't too big issue in the end - as I just used their router (it was configurable) to do LAT / NAT and then used my internal routers and firewall for the rest.

Guys a lot of modern Routers will allow you to "Clone" the setup of another router - this will then allow you to ditch the rental.

Perhaps you are thinking of MAC address cloning - yes, most modern routers have this. This makes it easier to keep an IP address assigned to the old router by DHCP when switching to a new router, rather than being denied an IP address because it's still assigned to the old MAC address (I used this when I was on cable).

Cloning all the other parameters however, such as the PPPoE setup for DSL or FTTH is another matter. That's still a manual job with lots of variables.

Cloning all the other parameters however, such as the PPPoE setup for DSL or FTTH is another matter. That's still a manual job with lots of variables.

I logged into my Softbank router last night to have a look around. There is only one setting: NTT East or NTT West. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but the detailed settings don't seem to be readily apparent. It's going to take alot more digging and research to find them; maybe I'll just leave it in the chain...."If it ain't broke...."

My DD-WRT router only has very few settings for the WAN side for FLET'S (I'm on NTT East).

Setup > Basic Setup > WAN Connection Type:

Connection Type: PPPoE
User Name: (my @TCOM user ID)
Password: (my @TCOM password)

These are set to "Disable":
PPP Compression, T-Home VDSL 7 VLAN Tagging, Force reconnect, STP.
Others in this group are left blank.

Optional Settings:
MTU: Manual / 1454

I think figuring out the MTU setting was a frustrating one.

MTU: Manual / 1454

I think figuring out the MTU setting was a frustrating one.

Many, many years ago I had a problem with certain sites not working, but only from my home network. After doing a sh*tload of research and trying many things, I finally figured out it was my MTU. The default of 1500 just didn't get the job done. I've been using 1454 ever since!

We've used FLETs for a few years now and it hasn't even burped once. (tv, phone, and internet)

But as a splurge, we also buy extra tv from a local cable provider.

Cable internet (DOCSIS standard) really is easier to set up and use than DSL or FTTH (like FLET'S). No need to configure user names and passwords in the router, IP assignment per DHCP couldn't be any easier and your router WAN IP usually stays the same unless you power cycle the cable modem (rebooting the router does not affect it).

I was with two cable providers (itscom and JCOM) before FLET'S hikari and didn't want to switch but had to (e.g., moving out of their service area). There were occasional outages, but pretty minor.

With cable you only get one bill, no split between network hookup provider and ISP. Pricewise there wasn't much difference with FLET'S.

Back
Top Bottom