Of toges and rindos

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
Machida, Tokyo
Here on the TCC forums, and on several blogs (you know who you are!), folks post information about great mountain rides. Some have maps, some don't - but most accounts speak of "**** toge", and "**** rindo", etc. For those that only sometimes venture into the mountains, it can be difficult to figure out exactly where these toges and rindos are.

Is there an online map of the mountains to the west of Tokyo that indicates (preferably in both English & Japanese) these 'special' places and roads? If not, if someone could mark-up a Google Maps map with them, it would be super.

I am not sure how Google Maps work. Is it possible for many people to name places (and POI) on the same map?

I guess the book/web project M O B is working on will include something like this, but in the meantime (and perhaps also utilized by M O B, when the book is published) a map like this would be very helpful.

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
You are welcome to check out the ride reports MOB and I post relatively regularly on the Positivo Espresso blog. Mine always have maps. Collectively they should give you a pretty good idea what is out there.

http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com

I use both Google maps and printed Japanese maps to plan my trips.

If you use Google maps through the English site, you get a lot of English on the otherwise Japanese maps. The terrain view is handy to check out altitude profiles.

You can also use mapmyride to plan trips and get an altitude profile. Now works well because follow-roads is finally enabled for Japan.

Cheers, Ludwig

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
snoogly,

I've actually found the best way to find these Toge and Rindo routes is to go out with the guys and ride them with an organised ride. It's given me a better idea of the lay of the land and adventure out on my own aftwards.

I also store the rides on the Garmin so I can easily replicate any previous rides done and also comes with the added bonus of "Getting Me Out of Here" for when I'm truely lost!