Odarumi Toge

Dec 18, 2011
Tokyo
My buddy and I wanted to get in a nice long climb so we are planning to climb Odarumi pass in yamanashi next weekend if weather permits. I did a bit of a recon drive yesterday and it seems that the last part of the climb just passed the dam has been barriered off. From what I could make of the sign at the barrier (I don't read japanese) I think the top may still be snowed out. Do you think that this time of year 2300m still has snow and is disregarding the barrier a bad idea? Anyone else done Odarumi this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
We went up to the dam last weekend. Before that I had contacted a mate who lives out there. He thought it unlikely that it was shut because of snow and it has been even hotter since then. So basically I have no idea and this is all conjecture..... Ha ha ha I'm sure there is a local roads agency you could call to find out though.

It was a nice climb and better descent from the dam though, I plan to go back as well. Very exposed though to the sun.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
usually a barrier means: this is a good road to ride on.
True. Also a bad road to crash on, as no-one is likely to pass by. So if a cyclist were to break his leg and his phone out there he might well be a bear's breakfast.

That's not a cheerful thought - so tell someone where you're going and when they should start worrying.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Yes, thank you Mike.
I am one to hop barriers...and have done so solo....but the thought off crashing while out there has crossed my mind.
Also was scared of bears, so I would yell out every couple hundred meters. Rather embarrassing if someone was out there and saw me....

Dec 18, 2011
Tokyo
Yes - bears are a reality out there. I climbed Odarumi solo last year and encountered a bear which has put me on red alert ever since, particularly when I'm out riding solo. This year I'm gonna equip myself with a bear bell...

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
I wouldn't want a surprised/pissed タヌキ coming after me either. At least horse flies are not life threatening.

On a slow climb I once saw a bear cross the road maybe 100m up. I stopped, unsure whether to go on. Finally, a van with some forest workers came up, I explained, and they drove slow a few hundred meters with me alongside.

From then on, any little flit of a bird or something in the brush and I'd almost hop the bike to one side and get another adrenaline hit.

Dec 18, 2011
Tokyo
I wussed out, the rain was too much these past weekends and last weekend I got caught up in the pomp and circumstance of Father's Day. If anyone wants to give it a go, I'd be up for the company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk