What's new

Today October 2022

Got an old buddy that runs a B&B in kona, and since the the ironman is on this year he has some guests that are doing that. Here's a pic of one of the bikes at his front door. He says there's now an app so that you can tell where everyone in the race is.

View attachment 36708

Rain yesterday, and still some this morning, tho going out a little later might be possible.
To be fair, I wouldn't need an app to see where that bike was in a race.

Due to weather, I canceled my bikepacking trip. It was not going to be fun starting in a downpour.
So... I rode on the trainer yesterday and I did some riding tonight.
Hopefully tomorrow I can put together something longer in effort, but we will see.
This evening's view was great!

1665218681848.png

This kind of has me wondering....
On Takeyama, there is an old turret.
It was most likely to protect the tokyo bay from the Miura side.
But this is just below the turret.
I am thinking maybe it supported an older bridge to get munitions up to the guns?
I have been lazy about researching it, but until I do, I will let my imagination run wild.

1665218719661.png

Absolutleblack (home of the dubious oval chainring) makes pretty decent round replacements.

View attachment 36706
I wish I hadn't clicked on your link. If I could find their marketing manager, I would print out all the Facebook ads I now get and make him/her/them eat him/her/them.

I wish I hadn't clicked on your link. If I could find their marketing manager, I would print out all the Facebook ads I now get and make him/her/them eat him/her/them.
Hey but atleast you now know about graphenlube! Pogacar approved!! 🤡

Truly terrible marketing. I block Facebook ads, but they infiltrate the Instagram feed.

I am sorry for the undue harm, in all seriousness though, the product is fine and the support/logistic team is excellent.

I'm still a bit sick again, nothing serious. But my cough was bad enough to delay my 4th Covid shot and to not train.

Found this little gem of a velocipede behind a toilet within the confines of Tokyo Racecourse today . Can't really understand how it got there! Anyways it reminded me to stop horsing around and go cycling. (Which I promptly did).

. . . this little gem of a velocipede . . .

These Bridgestone oddities -- "high-wheelers" for midgets? -- are fairly common, or used to be. I've never seen anyone ride one; they're instead found propped up next to bike shop entrances and the like.

I've only once seen a real ordinary on the move in Japan: along the Tamagawa cycle/dogwalking path. Quite a sight.

I've never seen anyone ride one; they're instead found propped up next to bike shop entrances and the like.
I asked once and was told they are just ornamental and not for riding. The 'DEKO' model name seems to support this, i.e., decoration. The pneumatic tyres seem to contradict this, however. I suspect the truth is closer to "no one here has ever tried, therefore it cannot be done".

I asked once and was told they are just ornamental and not for riding. The 'DEKO' model name seems to support this, i.e., decoration. The pneumatic tyres seem to contradict this, however. I suspect the truth is closer to "no one here has ever tried, therefore it cannot be done".
Okay now I get it. The washroom was near a major garden area of the racecourse. So the velocipede must be a garden ornament waiting to be used.

Important to watch for the pre-indicator indicator: slowing down for no currently discernible reason.

This becomes more tricky when the car already stopped at a red light, coming full gas from behind to overtake it on the narrow left side just when the light turns green, and suddenly the driver uses the indicator.

Ok, I know, the driver does see me as a bad and reckless cyclist

Pretty common to indicate when starting to turn, not before turning
Yup. It is my one gripe about Japanese drivers at large. IMHO you need to modify your behavior: I always get into a staggered position, i. e. clearly in front of the car or clearly behind. I make sure that I am seen and they have to let me pass first when I am in front. When I am behind a car, I make sure to wait until it is clear whether the car will initiate a turn or go straight.
This becomes more tricky when the car already stopped at a red light, coming full gas from behind to overtake it on the narrow left side just when the light turns green, and suddenly the driver uses the indicator.
Ok, that's on the driver. But that situation is rarer in my experience and more similar to drivers underestimating my speed and wanting to overtake me before taking a left turn onto that konbini's parking lot. He just had to have his onigiri.

Was out this morning, only spitting a little rain on the way back. I'm hoping that tomorrow-sunday stay dry, and maybe even monday, too. Looks windy tomorrow, but then okay after that.

Stupid rain.

But if you think you are having a bad day, spare a thought for /u/city_daemon.

Yesterday a car crashed into his bike while it was in his room.

This is upstairs. Not street level!

With typical good humour, fellow redditors pointed out that it was the cyclists fault for not wearing a helmet, not being the bike lane, not wearing a hi-viz tabard, not paying 'road tax', and/or driving his house the wrong way down the street, etc.

vx8xzxqj2lt91.jpg

Back
Top Bottom