What's new

Today October 2020!

... you'll have to walk 10 km to the next convenience store. In road shoes. Not to speak of risks.
I will admit - I have done this due to significant damage to a MTB.
I took my shoes and socks off and just enjoyed being outside. Yes..... the sidewalks and road were not comfy on my tender white collar feet.... but still better than biking shoes!

I will admit - I have done this due to significant damage to a MTB.
I took my shoes and socks off and just enjoyed being outside. Yes..... the sidewalks and road were not comfy on my tender white collar feet.... but still better than biking shoes!
I did something similarly moronic: I went out with out a spare inner tube on a demo bike. (I have a Fizik saddle bag on my bike, which wouldn't fit the non-Fizik saddle on the demo bike.) I had to walk home for 18 km. In fancy road shoes that are scratched to hell. The stiffness is awesome, but gave me plenty of blisters. Afterwards my team mates told me that I should have called them, one of them would have picked me up. 😢😍

So @Karl, I'm not speaking from a position of perfect enlightenment, I was the idiot that forgot something so basic and had to pay the price for it. Don't be like me ;)

My cheapskate self is inclined to go with @kiwisimon 's advice, but my aversion to risk side is inclined to side with @bloaker 's 'peace of mind' comment.
put it on the rear and you should be right as far as risk of crashing goes, the rear will also wear out fatser so you will get your moneys worth sooner. A patch glued in actually makes the cut area stronger than an unpatched area elsewhere on the tire. Just make the patch plenty big enough or buy a new tire and use the cut one on the trainer.

Wet and muddy conditions, but managed 2 PRs vs Jared's 3 PRs. With one slip and slide crash through a berm, still equalled a 16th overall on strava (very unexpected). 'Blue hornet' was closed as well as part of the green 'enduro' trail, but we managed to play everywhere else. Tons of laughs, 'oh shits' and even some spirited riding.

Glad to have a buddy willing to take a day away from work to do dumb stuff in less than ideal conditions!

IMG_20201023_184924_163.jpgIMG_20201023_184924_166.jpgIMG_20201023_182513_906.jpgIMG_20201023_182413_296.jpgreceived_1442900029253038.jpegreceived_1039438059802132.jpeg

ah the berms! nothing like being slam dunk to earth and mud on your side while leaning the corner, which is always 170 degrees, because where's the fun in more manageable turns ;)

ah the berms! nothing like being slam dunk to earth and mud on your side while leaning the corner, which is always 170 degrees, because where's the fun in more manageable turns ;)
There were several drops that were a wee bit terrifying today. I took the wimp out line on a huge drop, but felt immediately guilty. On the next run hit it holding my breath hoping for a clean landing... luck was on my side today!

hoping for a clean landing...

I've watched enough friday fails (soon another one will come up) to put me off from trying to get airborne with my bike ever... I do enjoy smaller drops here and there, less than a full wheel size or so, but only if the landing is immaculate and flat etc. can't afford risking too much with my old bones anymore

dropped by y's road kawasaki and got myself a pair of castelli leg warmers. morning cold rides here i come!

I've watched enough friday fails (soon another one will come up) to put me off from trying to get airborne with my bike ever... I do enjoy smaller drops here and there, less than a full wheel size or so, but only if the landing is immaculate and flat etc. can't afford risking too much with my old bones anymore
A full wheel size sounds pretty solid (I know you wrote "less than" but at least you used it as a reference). That's a hight I wouldn't even think about. After a few months without proper bike time due to other obligations even hopping off a sidewalk takes courage. The other day day when I saw a elementary student jumping 4-steps-stairs on his rather simple bike, I was holding my breath. Then I remembered that my (much) younger I used to do that without a second thought. But old bones can't go back in time, I guess.

A full wheel size sounds pretty solid

yeah a full wheel size might be overstating it a bit. I only do 2-3 drops near me, which I got pretty used to doing. of course this is on 47mm tires, not on the narrow road ones for sure. I guesstimate them at 40-50cm high or less

Who was it, and when, that posted that video of a race, and someone (leader?) cut a corner by hopping up a curb, and then down, and then on to the finish?

I'm pleased with the progress I'm making in 2020. over the last 6 months or so I gained 6kg, of which 5kg are lean body mass and 1kg, give or take, body fat. of course, when you're untrained and just starting, it's easier to put on mass etc. so I don't expect this trend to continue at this pace, but will push on to gain another several kg and see where it takes me. I guess the saying is true, we get out of the isolation either ripped (in case of cyclists, perhaps slimmed down?) or fat
😉

1603589766397.png

That's pretty awesome, @luka. Those are close to my 2019 numbers when I was in peak shape. Now I weigh about 2 kg more than that, and although I'm not stressing out yet, ultimately, I'd like to get back to that weight.

yeah, at the peak of my cycling form in 2016-2017 I was only 62-63 kg, at 175 cm height. in the last 2-3 years I've kept it at 65-66 kg, and reasonable aerobic fitness, but nothing special compared to other cyclists. this is the first comparable data using the same scales, so you can see the change from march to Oct. of course, for all the strength, muscle mass and mobility gained, a lot has been lost in aerobic fitness and endurance. but it's always like that, a give and take. did not think I'd be able to add all this mass and strength without also adding a lot of fat, especially at my age (38), but apparently it's possible if you really fine tune it all (training, resting, nutrition etc)

1603611134396.png

btw, went to trail adventure yokohama today and saw another stanton, had a quick chat with the japanese guy and he told me that they were from england and are steel. very nice looking bike, are they at par with chromag in terms of freeride cred?

btw, went to trail adventure yokohama today and saw another stanton, had a quick chat with the japanese guy and he told me that they were from england and are steel. very nice looking bike, are they at par with chromag in terms of freeride cred?
I would put them on par with chromags top offerings. The switch9er, switchback, and slackline are all rowdy bikes (and available in Ti)
I own a sherpa which is far more tame, but insanely capable.

I'm pleased with the progress I'm making in 2020. over the last 6 months or so I gained 6kg, of which 5kg are lean body mass and 1kg, give or take, body fat. of course, when you're untrained and just starting, it's easier to put on mass etc. so I don't expect this trend to continue at this pace, but will push on to gain another several kg and see where it takes me. I guess the saying is true, we get out of the isolation either ripped (in case of cyclists, perhaps slimmed down?) or fat
😉

View attachment 21111
Wow! Your transforming into Sagan.

Wow! Your transforming into Sagan.

hahaha not really. I don't think there's any aspect of physical performance where I could even remotely compare with him, except in the looks department ;)

but seriously, there is no point comparing oneself to any other individual, much less younger professional athletes at the pinnacle of human achievement. we should be measured against ourselves of yesterday, as well as against our individual goals and potential. right now I believe I'm making good progress towards my goal of a balanced physique, which needs to include strong and stable muscles and joints able to move through the fullest range of motion anatomically available to me, while also maintaining a basic level of aerobic endurance with a bit of anearobic /threshold/ explosive skills too. so a bit of everything, but not excelling in anything really

Back
Top Bottom