What's new

Today October 2019

@bloaker Cheer up. Looking ahead for the next two weeks and it's looking good, weather-wise. Cloudy but no rain after this Tuesday. Should give the mountain roads a chance to dry out and make some of the trails accessible. Fingers crossed.

Anyone know what the roads around Nikko are like following the typhoon and recent rains? Flying out Thursday night so looking at some rides within a few hours of Narita - hoping to ride in Nagano on Wednesday so alternative would be to do another ride there or somewhere in Gunma. Any route recommendations welcome!

Last edited:
Anyone know what the roads around Nikko are like following the typhoon and recent rains? Flying out Thursday night so looking at some rides within a few hours of Narita - hoping to ride in Nagano on Wednesday so alternative would be to do another ride there or somewhere in Gunma. Any route recommendations welcome!

I've just ended up monitoring the local Strava segments near me in Saitama. It's looking pretty grim for cyclists at the moment to be honest.

Anyone know what the state of the roads are likely to be in Yamagata in a couple of weeks? Going to be in Tsuruoka for a few days, and we should finish work on the Friday or the Saturday so I'm going to bring my bike and have another bash at doing a coast-to-coast ride before getting back.

Should be a bit shorter than the route @sean-e and I attempted a few weeks back :p

Is this likely to be feasible, or are the (desirable for cycling) roads likely to be snowy / destroyed by the weather a few weeks back? Any route recommendations around Tsuruoka / Yamagata toward the coast? Will probably shoot for the tasty-looking peninsula at Ishinomaki.

What if we all collaborate to produce a list of classic rides / roads in the area that are still ride-able in the post-typhoon-apocalypse? I'm starting to get cabin fever and am itching to get out into the mountains, but don't know where to go!

All I can contribute is that I know that Kano-zan in Boso is climbable from all directions.

I was thinking of getting a train to ogawa machi and just spend a day trying different climbs to see what's open, before reporting here. But it would be great if we can somehow organise and collectivise this effort

What if we all collaborate to produce a list of classic rides / roads in the area that are still ride-able in the post-typhoon-apocalypse? I'm starting to get cabin fever and am itching to get out into the mountains, but don't know where to go!

All I can contribute is that I know that Kano-zan in Boso is climbable from all directions.
Great idea, start a thread.

I was thinking of getting a train to ogawa machi and just spend a day trying different climbs to see what's open, before reporting here. But it would be great if we can somehow organise and collectivise this effort
One side of Nihongi might be but I haven't been out there myself.

Getting back to the earlier talk of winter gear in this thread, but here's a Castelli Pocket Liner Jacket (I'm pretty sure) in vgc for 4500 yen delivered on Mercari, the Japanese flea market app. Size is L, so too big for me. Its an eVent pro-level waterproof from about 2015/6. It would have been about 200USD new, close to 30,000 yen if bought in Japan.
If links like this are not welcome, just let me know. If they are welcome, I'm always looking!

Back
Top Bottom