What's new

Today October 2019

I went for a ride in Ogose today and it was as bad as I expected. Iimori Toge is closed from the temple. There's actually a big hole in the road that they're already working on. Iponsugi Toge and the other one (I don't know the name) both have the reg little barriers that they put up when there's a typhoon, so I'm hoping the roads are ok and they're just giving them some time to dry out.
ECE1D0B6-C9F9-426A-90A8-CF95625EA149.jpeg
The temple on the way up to Iimori Toge
B3B20E50-46B5-492C-BE69-7B5086B0986C.jpeg
The middle climb (around 600m max elevation)
F86F4748-8F62-436A-B37A-2644C6480D20.jpeg
Near the start of the climb up Ipponsugi Toge (passable for the moment)
983AD5E2-F3CF-496E-B29C-96EAF5B6273D.jpeg
To about halfway up Ipponsugi Toge

Last edited:
There are some news about the 2020 Olympic Games: the organizers have had a look at the marathon in Katar, where, even though the race was during the night (!!), about half of the athletes gave up. So they relocated the marathon and the race walking events to Sapporo. All the cyclists will have to suffer the humidity of the Japanese summer, though. :mad::shutup:

Maiden voyage of the new Ritchey Logic. Weighs in sub 9 (8.86kg) with bottle holder and flat pedals but no FD. Comfy ride. Yellow bar tape. Kinda snazzy looking, if I do say so myself.

Couldn't get the 40t cassette to work on the frame so using the 34t cassette with a 34 front chainring for now.

Maiden voyage of the new Ritchey Logic. Weighs in sub 9 (8.86kg) with bottle holder and flat pedals but no FD. Comfy ride. Yellow bar tape. Kinda snazzy looking, if I do say so myself.

Couldn't get the 40t cassette to work on the frame so using the 34t cassette with a 34 front chainring for now.

Why didn't the 40t work? I have a link you can have if it is just clearance

The position of the RD on the Ritchey frame is different so not enough clearance. Looks like it will take a link to make it work, so may take you up on your offer.

Picturreeesssssss??

Was planning a long ride on the new bike today but everyone and their brother was out on the paths so decided to canex the ride for today and do some indoor training instead. Did manage to snap a shot or two of the Ritchey in the wild though. Drivetrain is temporary till I figure out what I want to do long-term. Pedals will swap for Speedplay Frogs.

IMG_0849.jpeg . IMG_0851.jpeg

Yesterday I got back from a business trip to Canada, but will be home only for a few days. On Tuesday I got to leave again, for another 8 days of traveling.

In Vancouver I walked a lot. The day of the arrival I managed about 25,000 steps, starting from getting off the plane and finishing with the walk back from the restaurant after dinner. Both Vancouver and Montreal were on the cool side, around 5 C at night and a high of less than 15 C. A few locals in Vancouver were still wearing shorts (as I did until I got to the hotel), but not many. The leaves had turned colourful.

On Saturday I rented a hybrid bike (flat bar, 3x8 gearing) and did a 74 km loop around Vancouver harbour.

Starting in the business district I rode to the Second Narrows Bridge, the main highway bridge connecting both sides of the bay. A couple of km from the start I turned off a main road into a small road and a car coming towards me hooted: I was on the wrong side of the road! It still happens, after over 40 years of switching between LHD and RHD.

Riding around the hills in North Vancouver and West Vancouver, I scouted for panoramic views of the city on the opposite side of the water from high above. I found plenty, along with many million dollar homes up there. Real estate prices in Vancouver are really insane, partly because of all the Chinese money that has been flooding in.

In Montreal I again walked a fair bit, but no bike rides (I did ride there last time). Both Vancouver and Montreal are very cosmopolitan (as is Toronto). I tried the cuisine of Trinidad, Iran, Lebanon, Haïti and Jamaica.

Today I rode to Shimokitazawa where I had lunch.

Most likely my next ride will be on the next overseas trip and it won't be another century.

I took the single speed to work today and as usual... bad idea to ride something I claim I want to sell....
The bike rides super smooth and quiet. HOWEVER - it is geared for the local trails, not the local roads.
I get to spin way faster than normal to go...... 26kph.
Nothing like a flat paved road & a SS to remind you just how steep and stupid some trails are around here.20191021_103938.jpg

Last edited:
Given I only have my road bike, going up near the rivers or into the mountains seems like a bit of a risk until things dry out - especially looking at some of the pics being posted. So I decided to pop out for a leisurely ride on Sunday, dodging traffic lights and motorways to get down to the coast and head along to Odawara. The weather was lovely with around 24 degrees and not much wind. It's such a lovely way to see new areas of the country, made even more enjoyable that I didn't have to kill myself trying to keep up with faster riders :warau: .

On the plus side, being here with some more free time on my hands, the last 7 weeks have been some of the most consistent riding I have ever had (indoors or out). Hope to get out on some more social weekend rides soon!

A FB friend shared pictures of typhoon damage to the road leading to Shiraishi ("You Shall Not") Pass, up in Saitama.

73136101_1444244092380738_2522293413718523904_o.jpg

72745454_1444244345714046_1210518716853256192_o.jpg

I've pretty much resigned myself that nothing is going to be rideable for the time being, perhaps until the spring. looking at FB and strava updates from everyone...

I've pretty much resigned myself that nothing is going to be rideable for the time being, perhaps until the spring. looking at FB and strava updates from everyone...
I do hope that's worst case. I don't quite like cycling as much when it's just bombing along on the flats😕

Maybe I can start tiling on the plains!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom