What's new

Today October 2019

FWIW, I ordered a new bike frame from Wiggle. Ritchey Road Logic. Hunt Aero wheels already arrived. Hoping to keep the build sub 9kg. Eventually will add a Sugino 28/44 double crankset with the rest being a 105 groupset. Rim brakes, steel frame... (cue the music from Fiddler on the Roof.) Hoping the ride resembles my old Panasonic that I will keep till I die but has been relegated to my indoor trainer...which, due to the weather lately, is getting a workout. The frame should arrive this week and the build will happen soon thereafter. Christmas in October!

Beginning to wonder if the rains will ever stop.

FWIW, I ordered a new bike frame from Wiggle. Ritchey Road Logic. Hunt Aero wheels already arrived. Hoping to keep the build sub 9kg. Eventually will add a Sugino 28/44 double crankset with the rest being a 105 groupset. Rim brakes, steel frame... (cue the music from Fiddler on the Roof.) Hoping the ride resembles my old Panasonic that I will keep till I die but has been relegated to my indoor trainer...which, due to the weather lately, is getting a workout. The frame should arrive this week and the build will happen soon thereafter. Christmas in October!

But Carbon Campy is sexy....

r1.jpgr2.jpg

Nice! That's yours? How did/does it ride? (If it sucks, don't tell me.;))

The 2019 version has yellow lettering but gray frame, so I was gonna put yellow bar tape on it. But now I see it's already been done, so....

For now, I'm migrating my 105 stuff from my Cannondale to the Ritchey. Not fully committed to the Sugino yet, but it is the 'cheaper' option since I already have the components. Was intrigued by your idea of going with a SRAM road shifter with 10spd RD. That would allow me to use the 10-42 SRAM cassette and I would get enough range that I might be able to go 1x. But, for now, will just stay with Shimano and see how that goes.

I love it...when I ride it. It has been collecting dust for some time now.
Super comfy with 700x25 tires and I have no desire for anything sportier.
I am running a compact crank with 11x27 cassette. That would get me anywhere I needed locally.
For longer climbs I would throw on an 11x29. It doesn't seem like much of a difference on paper, but my legs know!

Regarding the Sram 10sp - my Fargo is running a MTB crank - 39x26 with an 11x36 cassette.
I currently have SRAM X0 mtb shifters on it now, but previously had SRAM Apex Shifters mated to the same drivetrain.

Sounds like it will be a nice bike. Sub 9kg sounds a bit hopeful with 105 group set though. What size frame is it?

@leicaman It's a 55 frame. And, yeah, sub 9 is hopeful, especially w/o carbon components. I guess I'll just have to get the weight savings from my frame vs. the bike's. :cool:

The Edogawa is open without any flooding problems whatsoever.
I cycled up to Sekiyado on Monday and it was fine especially the Chiba side.

More rain forecast for this Saturday.

Drove from Otsuki through Okutama & Ōme on the 13th. Lots of water on roads running down hills, fallen rocks, dirt and some cleanup after some possible small landslides.

Instagram for Shiraishi Pass shows road washed away so I'd avoid Chichibu & Hanno mountains. Take care on Okutama area, super slow downhill.

Today a friend and I rode a route that in part went close to Miyagaseko and past the turning to Yabitsu pass. We already knew that Yabitsu was inaccessible from the north, but idle curiosity led us to look at the notice telling the world this.

The notice says that one can go as far as something-something cemetery (which isn't far at all). And there's a photograph showing the reason (or just one reason?) why one can't go further.

In this one place (and for all I know there could be others too), route 70 is, er, bad.

When route 70 was closed for a few months, you might have done either or both of the two things I did on different occasions: (1) bypass the closed section via Karasawa rindō; (2) ignore the first two barriers before the broken section of the road, and climb around the third one (and then of course climb around another barrier after the broken section and whiz past two more).

This time? Forget it. Karasawa rindō is itself blocked; and route 70 looks a lot worse now than it did a year or so back. It's as if enemy forces have done a skilled job on it with Semtex. It's not a matter of trees or mud blocking the road -- there is nothing that can be called a road.

What in the world has happened to the sun?! Looks like only a couple partly cloudy days between now and the end of the month. The rest is rain. Yadda!!! Is this what the weather is like in England?

Everything is dirty with mud and grime, washed out, closed, cut out, trees, avalanches etc so even if it was sunny there d be nowhere interesting to ride anyway. At least not as a day trip from Tokyo, trains included. Or so it seems to me from what I could learn online

Back
Top Bottom