What's new

Today October 2019

nice! I was saying no to Noto for a long while, but will give it a shoot at a next opportunity. 58kg! what's your height @sean-e ? in cm if possible ;)

Embarrassingly short! Suffice to say not particularly skinny by bmi standards. It's nice to have a little padding for winter / falling off bike / etc.

Here's your Arakawa this morning. It might be weeks before the mud is cleared off and we can ride that again

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_081646.jpg
    IMG_20191013_081646.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20191013_081610.jpg
    IMG_20191013_081610.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20191013_081644.jpg
    IMG_20191013_081644.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 28
Greenline also collapsed between buna and kabasaka... it's gonna take time this

There's quite a lot of flooding near the river in Higashimatsuyama. I'm not sure if one of the levees broke.

Crikey! Intense stuff last night...looks like it could've been worse, though.

Was wondering about trying to climb to 5th station (from the sea) tomorrow if anyone is interested - or is that a stupid idea, given the unknown state of the roads at the moment?

@luka Wow, thanks for sharing. You're fairly high up. We were debating evac'ing after getting the 2:30 AM emergency alert but stayed on the 3rd floor and thankfully the neighborhood has no flooding but a few plants came up.

How is everyone on the Tamagawa side? What a storm!

I spent altogether too much time glued to the rivercam feeds, instead of doing the work I'd planned.

Nicotama:

cam_nikotama_rise-0.gif

Arakawa water is still growing. now up to almost half of the levee height. I would lay off of venturing so far out so soon @thooms , we don't know yet which roads have become impassable etc etc. there's fallen trees, cut electrical lines, landslides, bridges and roads washed away...

I'm with you I think, @luka - will stay a bit closer to home I think :)

That's always the thing isn't it with heavy rain, there's often a fair amount of lag between the rain ending and the water level peaking. Keeping everything crossed.

Saiko is off limits for a while...
78AAA0A3-3FE5-47EC-B36B-5FBBFCF2BE39.jpeg
The bridge crossing the lake is entirely underwater, as is the rest of the park/ golf course/ baseball fields/ etc

EFD96F90-9AC9-4F5E-A259-F46905DD344A.jpeg

after a previous typhoon I've seen cleaning crews with small water pump trucks blasting all the mud residue slowly back into the river to release the path below. I think they'll have to do something like that again, that thing just doesn't vaporize does it. so my guess is it's gonna be weeks before we can freely ride the whole length of arakawa again

@thooms this is what doshimichi looks like (the route to kawaguchiko lake). so yeah, better keep it closer to home until at least the next weekend

Looking at how much water the Arakawa riverbanks are holding back, I think I'll cut them some slack when they block up the path rebuilding the banks....

interestingly when I was down there at noon, there was no sign of the river having lowered. It is still running at its high water mark for this storm...

@thooms after that much of rainfall landslides could happen at some later time (days or even weeks after).
Everyone becareful out there.

They shortened the course to just shy of 30km and got it done in the morning.

View attachment 18889

Raining but no wind really.

It all kicks off tonight over here...

Andy

Boy am I glad they shortened the course. 30km doesn't sound at all long, but between the mud, gravel in the wet downhill, #deathclimb and then that downhill on the ski slopes I was glad I didn't have another lap to do.

My first Grinduro, super happy I did it and loved the adventure. My Fairdale with it's 40m tyres looked anorexic compared to the tyres of other riders but glad to have had disc brakes, flared handlebars and soft landing when I went over them on the last downhill....

Back
Top Bottom