Today October 2019

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
only 3 months left in 2019. hoping for a bit cooler and drier weather, and rubber side down of course (unless you're intentionally jumping, wheelieing, doing anything that requires getting some air time)

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
October, yeah! Week 3 out of 6 started and nearly finished for FTP intro training. Happy to report that what used to be a tougher 125 W, a hard 155 W, and a really hard 175 watt strength training is now a pretty good feeling. Looking at doing some more outdoor riding when this wraps up in a few weeks. As Tokyo is relatively warm in the winter, any advice for a non-summer kit or components like a gilet/arm or leg warmers that you all have found particularly good here? I'd be doing mostly HFC/local rides and nothing too far north or south.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
any advice for a non-summer kit or components like a gilet/arm or leg warmers that you all have found particularly good here? I'd be doing mostly HFC/local rides and nothing too far north or south.
I've got some dhb bibs that are warm, and in spite of my first impressions, they have lasted much longer than expected.

Also, keep something handy that you can stuff in your shorts when needed.

Reactions: MattRyuu

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
October, yeah! Week 3 out of 6 started and nearly finished for FTP intro training. Happy to report that what used to be a tougher 125 W, a hard 155 W, and a really hard 175 watt strength training is now a pretty good feeling. Looking at doing some more outdoor riding when this wraps up in a few weeks. As Tokyo is relatively warm in the winter, any advice for a non-summer kit or components like a gilet/arm or leg warmers that you all have found particularly good here? I'd be doing mostly HFC/local rides and nothing too far north or south.
Best thing I’ve found for winter riding is a uniqlo down vest for winter riding. It fits under or over my winter jacket and keeps me toasty all winter. I don’t leave home without it now once the temps drop. They are dirt cheap also. Oh, and they stuff very nicely inside a dry water bottle or storage bottle (I only need one bottle of water during the winter so I use my second cage to hold the vest and other items).

Tanki

Maximum Pace
Aug 7, 2014
On Thursdays I had a habit of doing long rides. Mostly because I had plans for the weekend(rugby) and on Thursdays my gym is shut. My shoulder rehabili is ongoing and slow. I cannot swim, ride, do yoga or anything that requires bi-lateral coordination.
I shouldn't winge when JDD has got it worse, but I'm a Yorky and it's a genetic condition.
Thankfully the Mrs treated me to world cup tickets years ago which is a great historic distraction otherwise I would be very low.
Enjoy it out there.

Reactions: luka

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Rapha make Stellar winter gear. But alas it lasts about as long as DHB. Well the bibs anyway. The shirts are a better deal. Their shoe covers are good too.

Reactions: MattRyuu

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
For real winter temperatures (down to a few degrees above freezing) I wear uniqlo lined trousers. The coldest I rode last winter was -4 C. I also have some dhb winter bib tights but they're not as toasty warm. For the upper body it's all about layering.

I tend to pick what I wear on the lower body by the expected temperature on the warmest part of the day so I won't overheat at mid day or on climbs, and then add and remove layers on the upper body as needed to cover everything between that and night time temperatures / mountain descents. I might change between long underwear and briefs at a conbini stop though, because that makes it easier to cover temperature swings.

Reactions: thomas and MattRyuu

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
today I encountered a problem I never ever expected I would - not mounting a tyre to a rim, but dismounting it! got new MTB tyres I wanna try on the gravel bike, but the current ones (at least the front, I'm still on that one) just won't get off. I've deflated the tube as much as possible, tried "massaging" the tyre, forcing my way with bare hands and/or tyre levers, shaking the wheel hanging by the tyre, pressing the valve in (it's shorter than the volume of the tyre - duh). but both beads stick firmly to the rim and won't budge no matter what (so I have nothing to catch the lever onto). after about 20 min and aching hands I'm surrendering for tonight and will simply reflate it for use on the commute tomorrow, but anyone got any tips? they're 47mm ones. I am not ready to stick screwdrivers or similar in there just yet tho

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
both beads stick firmly to the rim and won't budge
I had a similar problem with a motorcycle tyre in the summer. I expect your rims are 'tubeless-ready'.

I'd try standing on it. Put a book or something else solid under one side - maybe with a towel or rag over it to avoid scratches. Then put shoe on and get heel stuck in.

When you put next tyres on, use lots of soapy water. Water will dry out, but soap film will remain, making subsequent removal a bit easier.

• Informative
Reactions: luka

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
For real winter temperatures (down to a few degrees above freezing) I wear uniqlo lined trousers. The coldest I rode last winter was -4 C. I also have some dhb winter bib tights but they're not as toasty warm. For the upper body it's all about layering.
In my experience the limiter in cold temperatures is actually road conditions and not clothing. With proper layering, you can go way beyond -4 degrees … but the same cannot be said for your tires and things like black ice.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
...both beads stick firmly to the rim and won't budge no matter what (so I have nothing to catch the lever onto). ..
Was riding with someone this summer running tubeless tires who had this problem. Never did get the tire off. He had to use the sag wagon and I don't know how they managed to get the tire off. So, also interested in solutions to this issue. Not having yet converted to the world of tubeless, I wonder if this problem might be a significant issue if it became necessary to deal with a flat when out in the wild.

thooms

Maximum Pace
Jul 6, 2019
Anyone know of a good mechanic in Tokyo who is familiar with Alfine hubs? I'd like to get the one on my commuter done - I'm happy to DIY it but I suspect it'll be very messy...could be better left to the professionals! I have visions of spilling transmission fluid in the house, which might be rather hard to explain (and I also don't know how I'd dispose of said ATF afterwards).

The hub works really well, but it has quite a few k's on it now and could probably do with being stripped regreased. Any suggestions?

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
In my experience the limiter in cold temperatures is actually road conditions and not clothing. With proper layering, you can go way beyond -4 degrees … but the same cannot be said for your tires and things like black ice.
Right, the -4 C experience I mentioned did come with black ice :( I was just mentioning it as the coldest I experienced on a bike in Japan so far. Most of the time in the winter I don't even experience below freezing early in the morning around Tokyo.

Depending on the gloves I was wearing, I also often had problems with cold at the hands and others have had them on the feet.

Cleats can transfer a lot of heat away from the shoes via the pedals, which is why some people prefer flat pedals for more extreme winter riding. I could buy proper winter shoes, I suppose but instead I use my "Belgian shoe covers", a pair of old socks worn over the shoes with a hole cut for the SPD cleats.

Bar Mitts will definitely solve the cold problem for the hands, but as a cheap hack for a coldest part of a ride, one can also put large enough plastic bags over the drops and secure them to the bar ends with rubber bands. These will protect the hands from the wind chill, effectively upgrading your gloves or allowing you to use a lighter grade of glove inside than would otherwise be necessary. As it gets warmer during the morning or you reach home in the evening you can put them away again.

The other thing I do is to wear a handkerchief over my ears (tied below the chin), which reduces a lot of peripheral heat loss.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
Not having yet converted to the world of tubeless
Just to clarify, I'm also not on tubeless yet. This is happening with the tube inside. I guess both wheels and tires and tubeless ready, and probably a very tight fit. It was a bit of pain getting them up there in the first place too. So I'll go with Mike's advice tonight and see if my bodyweight and/or some leg moves might do the trick.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
I use hard plastic tire levers (VAR) on my tubeless and although tight have never been unable to remove a tire. Dishwash liquid and working two levers together is the most extreme I've had to deal with. 1570086721453.png
The good thing about tubeless is you can't pinch flat so a bit less respect is fine.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Right, the -4 C experience I mentioned did come with black ice :( I was just mentioning it as the coldest I experienced on a bike in Japan so far. Most of the time in the winter I don't even experience below freezing early in the morning around Tokyo.
Yeah, that's when at best I stick to riding along the coast. Last year I went to the gym instead, but this year I'll spend more time on my indoor trainer, I think.

Depending on the gloves I was wearing, I also often had problems with cold at the hands and others have had them on the feet.
My secret weapons are shop gloves and plastic bags that I keep in my saddle bag. They completely seal the hands and feet, and keep me much warmer. I usually only wear the gloves in case of emergencies, but will regularly put on plastic bags. People made fun of me for wearing them, but who cares when they are so cheap and effective.

The other thing I do is to wear a handkerchief over my ears (tied below the chin), which reduces a lot of peripheral heat loss.
I rely on a skull cap here. If things get really cold, I put on a hat. (I could buy a skull cap for colder weather, but those are too expensive, and I don't see a point when the skull cap + hat combo does the same thing.)