What's new

Ride october 12th, blue monkey epic, gunma prefecture

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I mentioned Adam's new venture in the Hotaka thread. Basically he's starting a lodge / cycling business in Minakami, Gunma Prefecture.

The Blue Monkey Epic is the first event he's organising. 3 big climbs over a 200 km course:

http://www.bmonkeylodge.com/

A great chance to climb some big climbs with one of the best! Good access from Tokyo too.

The event is sandwiched in the middle of a 3 day weekend too, so a good chance to stay and experience Adam and Ruth's great hospitality.

This is a new venture for them and a big step after leaving Australia in the summer.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Reactions: TOM
Why doesn't he post here himself?
There are occasionally people from overseas who post looking for good places to cycle, and there might also be TCC members who are interested.

I like the website design (though this page could do with some work) and the prices for lodging (excluding training camps) seem reasonable enough that I might consider it myself sometime. The Blue Monkey Epic course looks fantastic, too.

But, I've just unticked "When a club member adds a discussion post" from my Strava email notifications as I don't like the idea of receiving unsolicited advertisements via Strava.

Hi TCC,

Thanks for the feedback Sibreen, and Andy for the post. As Andy, mentioned, we are a new operation and there are many many things that will be tweaked (much like the workshop page). With easy access from Tokyo, we hope that we can provide a base in the mountains for great cycling and food. The Blue Monkey Epic is what I hope will be the first of many 'EPIC' rides, and Ruth and I hope that we see of few of you up here for what will be a great event.

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks for posting, @Adam Cobain.
I'm sure a few members will be posting with questions/comments. I've a couple myself:

Is it possible to eat and stay at the lodge without doing one of the training camps?
Do you have bikes to hire?
And, is there a TCC discount?

Hi Sibreen,

Absolutely, come and stay at the Lodge, let the Lounge fuel you up and ride the fantastic roads around the area. There is no training camp obligation.
We have a few banger MTB's for going to swimming hole exploring locally, but we prefer everybody bring there own bike. I have my eye on a fleet of FAT BIKES for the winter though.
Yes, we would offer the room rate to TCC members at 4000yen (normally 5000yen). Please advise when booking:)

Looks great! Is there a cost besides staying at the lodge for this ride?
And what is the ride going to be like? Is it a WATT ride/ slow pace stick together affair, because there is no chance I will be able to keep up with you or Andy! Ha ha ha!

Looks great! Is there a cost besides staying at the lodge for this ride?
And what is the ride going to be like? Is it a WATT ride/ slow pace stick together affair, because there is no chance I will be able to keep up with you or Andy! Ha ha ha!
Yes, 2000yen, will cover cakes and coffee and I will run a sag wagon, but hope to not need it.

Bottom line is, it is an epic ride that is designed to test. If the course looks like it would be beyond anyone's abilities, than my suggestion is to only do 2 climbs. If a rider is really falling behind, they may be forced in the vehicle, or to take an easier route back to the lodge (of which there are many). My rides in general are tough, but fair, there will be a general regroup at the summit of the climbs, but I would expect anyone thinking of doing this epic to be aware of the parcours.

EPIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS THROUGH EPIC SUFFERING

I am not interested in ERIC SUFFERING. I reckon he's been through enough, poor fella.

But I am interested in Blue Monkeys; I like the Minakami area and want to visit again soon. Hope the business thrives.

--
(Also note the unofficial definition of epic and its comparatively bland etymology)

I'm really interested, Do you have a timetable? I assume there is lunch somewhere? but what about food on the in between time?

Best of luck on your new adventure @Adam Cobain. I know many of us have been looking for cycling friendly weekend getaway spots... Three questions pls... How's your place (and surrounding area) for family's (i.e., while the dad is out biking;))? Also, your place open in the winters and close to good skiing?

I'm really interested, Do you have a timetable? I assume there is lunch somewhere? but what about food on the in between time?​

The timetable depends really on the group. I will put together a schedule today based on expected pace and there will be a few small stops, but carry your own supplies would be my suggestion, just as you would for a big training ride.

Best of luck on your new adventure @Adam Cobain. I know many of us have been looking for cycling friendly weekend getaway spots... Three questions pls... How's your place (and surrounding area) for family's (i.e., while the dad is out biking;))? Also, your place open in the winters and close to good skiing?
Thanks Trad. There is heap of walking trails, swimming holes, Mt Tanigawa and the Galcier is 6km up the road (literally 6km to touch the glacier) as well as rafting, canoeing, bungy, canyoning, craft shops, hot springs galore, as well as the Blue Monkey Lounge itself a really nice place to relax and read a book.

Skiing here is huge as it is close to Tokyo, not so crazy as Neaba or Hotaka people wise, and we have about 6 ski fields of differing levels nearby, the closest is about 500m for the Lodge. Haven't seen winter here yet, but am going to have to embrace the powder for a few months, or buy a fleet of FAT BIKES and ride! Hope to see you here:)

I'm really interested in the ride on the 12th too. I'm guessing it would be ok to come up there on the 11th (Saturday), ride around the local area that day, stay the night in the lodge then do the Monkey ride on the 12th ? I think a monkey ride would suit me down to the ground, having been called one most of my life .

I'm really interested in the ride on the 12th too. I'm guessing it would be ok to come up there on the 11th (Saturday), ride around the local area that day, stay the night in the lodge then do the Monkey ride on the 12th ? I think a monkey ride would suit me down to the ground, having been called one most of my life

Exactly, The Blue Monkey Lodge & Lounge concept is about providing an alternative to the usual riding one might do, yet maintaining certain comforts that the cyclist needs (Good food, Mechanical Support, Solid Routes, Espresso). The roads here in Gunma are beyond amazing and from a comfortable and relaxing base we are wanting to share and encourage cyclists to enjoy the region with out having to break the bank or be too inaccessible.

Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to make a booking. Please mention that you are from TCC.

Back
Top Bottom