Oct 6 and 7 Brevet -- 600 kms -- Sign up by Sept 22

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
Jerome and I (David L.) have signed up for the Kanagawa Audax 600 km Brevet this October 6 and 7, starting from Sagamihara.

The course looks ... quite challenging. A GPS map and elevation profile of the route is here (it cannot be 16,000 meters of climbing ... maybe a bit less than half that, but still, a lot of climbing):

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1732235

Not recommended unless you have tried some shorter Brevets in the past.

AJ Kanagawa website:

http://www.aj-kanagawa.org/2012-brm/brm1006sagamihara600

Sign up on Sportsentry (1300 yen for Audax Japan members, 2500 yen for non-members, unsupported ride):

http://venus.sportsentry.ne.jp/event.php?tid=28800

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I think 8000 m of total climbing is probably a realistic figure for this one.

Jose (Jayves) did the AJ Kanagawa 400 km (BRM916 Yatsugatake) last weekend (I had signed up for it too but missed it due to an urgent business trip). Jose found it really challenging, with about 5500 m of climbing, which really hits your average speed and hence your margin for sleep breaks. That was about double the climbing of the NishiTokyo 300 km around Fuji both of us did on May 19/20. This one is going to be about triple.

Jayves

Speeding Up
Nov 20, 2009
Yokohama
jayves-rando.blogspot.jp
Yup, that was tough. Probably, I haven't fully recovered yet from the 600km the previous week.:D

I tempted to join this challenging ride but I have signed up for another 600km brevet on that same weekend. This is the relatively easier 600 km course around Kanto. This is also a new course for me.

http://www.vcr-aoba.org/2012/brm1006

However, I may be up for a real challenge! I may need to rethink my bike/equipment and go very lite. Could be chilly on those 1500m descent at night and need bulky clothing. Anyway, will decide in the next few days.

David, on a side note, you were mentioned in japanese brevet magazine "Randonneur" first edition on page 111 on Tohoku 1700km. However, the picture was of Jerome !!! The editors have mixed up the faces :)

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
David, on a side note, you were mentioned in japanese brevet magazine "Randonneur" first edition on page 111 on Tohoku 1700km. However, the picture was of Jerome !!! The editors have mixed up the faces :)
That happens a lot since we have been doing plenty of these events together.

We thought about the Aoba 600 event as well. It definitely looks easier, but the course looks like it would have a lot more traffic, more red lights, and much less dramatic scenery, so Jerome persuaded me to do the tougher course. On the plus side, the Aoba start is a lot closer to my home and it is early enough so you would get through Tokyo before the morning traffic builds up.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
The Aoba event looks much more doable for me, but having missed the 400 km it would be non-sequential. They seem to allow sign-up only for riders who have done at least a 400 before, even if only last year:
エントリーには順次取得ルールが適用されます。
過去にACP公認BRM400km以上の実績がないかたはエントリーできません
開催当日よりも前にそのBRMよりひとつ下の距離の短いBRMの参加・認定が必要です。昨年の記録でもOKです。
エントリー時に「過去のBRM記録」欄になるべく記入して下さい。例: 「2012年 BRM526青葉400km清水」

Jayves

Speeding Up
Nov 20, 2009
Yokohama
jayves-rando.blogspot.jp
The Aoba event looks much more doable for me, but having missed the 400 km it would be non-sequential. They seem to allow sign-up only for riders who have done at least a 400 before, even if only last year:
I discussed this also with the organisers and their only motivation is to reduce the DNF number as applications generally fills up very quickly. Aoba is more strict than others...

However, you can ride unofficially :)

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
Kanagawa 600 Done

How did the Aoba 600km ride around Kanto go this weekend?

Jerome and I survived the Kanagawa 600km -- there were only 9 finishers, 13 DNFs and 9 DNS's.

It really did involve 8000+ meters of climbing.
And of course cold rain at night over the high pass in Nagano ...

Brief report is here.

Jayves

Speeding Up
Nov 20, 2009
Yokohama
jayves-rando.blogspot.jp
Wow!!! You guys are just amazing...Respect! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Good to know also about the new Super Randonnee 600. The extra 10 hours will really help for that minimum total climb of 10,000 meters. I will add this to my next challenge list.

Also, I got sick over the weekend and cut short my Kanto ride only after 6 hours. :rescue:

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
Thanks for the comments.

My goal for this winter -- lose another 5kgs+ so that next spring I can climb the hills faster, and with less burden on my body.

Jayves -- sorry to hear you were sick, but if you are going to retire from a 600k event, 6 hours in is a much better time to do so than 16, or 26, or 36 hours in! I would like to try Aoba's Kanto 600k course next year.