What's new

O-Toge Time-Trial

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
This is one of the Official TCC "Hall of Fame" climbs.
O-Toge
16km, with an average of 8% - There's one gate at the 8km mark, where you have to carry your bike around, but other than that, there are no other stops or turns.
So far, the official Hall of Fame times are:
Clay: 54min
Deej: 1hr, 1min
Serguei: 1hr, 6min

For those who want to keep riding afterward, there are plenty of options including Matsuhime-toge, Sasago-toge, etc.
For those catching the train (myself included), the "JRホリデー快速河口湖1号" leaves Shinjuku station at 8:14, and arrives at Otsuki at 9:34. There are coin-lockers at the station for those carrying backpacks.
We'll roll out at 10:00.

Now, we have to choose, Saturday (24th)?, or Sunday (25th)?

Please post your preferences here!
Personally, I would prefer Saturday.
Anyone else?

Man, I really want to do this. Sorry for being so quiet lately -- I've been in the U.S., and on top of that have spent two weeks battling the mumps. Guess the vaccinations didn't work.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm in no shape for a TT just yet. Two months ago, and I'm pretty sure I could have shattered my previous time (thanks in no small part to a little experimenting with creatine).

But I'm on the comeback road, and hope to be joining you guys soon (after a little solo Jedi training, of course.)

Deej

I prefer Sunday, but not sure if I can make it after two big rides in Nagano with Pete(Yamabushi).:warau:
Please don't tell me HTFU.:smoke:

I prefer Sunday, but I am not even sure if I will be able to ride at all this weekend.

Either day, I'll be there. Tempted to try out my new 800gr Alpine TT wheels... hehe! And after the last couple weeks, feeling pretty genki.

Oh this is tempting..I'm pushing some good times on my favorite toge's recently. Saturday is better for me:D

... just don't plan a fast descent on the North side ...

This would be a good trial for the Super HC (Toyo Tire turnpike) event next weekend ... but unless someone has recent info on the road condition I would not recommend continuing over the pass and down the back ("ura" or North) side forest road and continuing on to Matsuhime. Last time I climbed up that side (2010) it had more fallen rocks and gravel than I had remembered, plus there might be some new surprises after this week's typhoon.

I'm pretty sure there will be even plenty of surprises on the south side.

Saturday, it is!

Thanks for the replies.
>Serguei, Kawa: Sorry guys, but as you might not be able to make it even if it was on Sunday...
So we'll go with the majority here.

So far, the definite riders are:

Travis
Thomas
Mike
Tim

Dave?
Ludwig?

>Dave (dgl2): Don't worry, we won't be heading down the back (north) side - I did that the very first time I went up there, 4 years ago... NEVER AGAIN!:eek:

>Deej: C'mon dude! Even in your "no shape", you'd still kick some butt.

I'm going to go for my PB of "1hr, 12min".

Really looking forward to it.
Hopefully we'll have a few more takers before Saturday!

Maybe

I'm not sure about Saturday, but will get there if I can. Everyone will need to be extra careful on the descent not to hit me coming around one of those corners as I climb.
At least the weather should be a bit cooler and not so energy-sapping.

What are the logistics?

1) Meeting point / time?
2) Warmup?
3) Roll out schedule?
4) Timers?

John, Fumiki and I will meet at Noborito Sta. at 0720 (Nambu Line ticket gate) in order to join Travis in Tachikawa. Hope you'll be in too!

And in case we'll still be bursting with energy after O-toge there's the option to cycle back home along the Tama (via Matsuhime-toge and Kazahari). ;)

Hi there - so where is the general meet up point? Otsuki? Tachikawa? Time?

Still following this plan? :
For those catching the train (myself included), the "JRホリデー快速河口湖1号" leaves Shinjuku station at 8:14, and arrives at Otsuki at 9:34. There are coin-lockers at the station for those carrying backpacks.

Thanks!

YES!

Hi there - so where is the general meet up point? Otsuki? Tachikawa? Time?
Still following this plan? :
Thanks!

Hey Tim,
The train above, leaving Shinjuku at 8:14, is the best bet.
We'll be meeting at Otsuki, when the train arrives, at 9:34.
The train Thomas will be on connects with this train at Tachikawa, meaning we'll all be on the same train as it arrives in Otsuki.
We should all be ready to roll out a little before 10am.

Warm-up: It's a 4km ride to the start of the climb. That's long enough for me, but if you need longer, you can head up Rte.20 for another few kilometers, towards Sasago-tunnel, and then turn around and come back when you're ready.

See you there! T

Hey Tim,
The train above, leaving Shinjuku at 8:14, is the best bet.
We'll be meeting at Otsuki, when the train arrives, at 9:34.
The train Thomas will be on connects with this train at Tachikawa, meaning we'll all be on the same train as it arrives in Otsuki.
We should all be ready to roll out a little before 10am.

Warm-up: It's a 4km ride to the start of the climb. That's long enough for me, but if you need longer, you can head up Rte.20 for another few kilometers, towards Sasago-tunnel, and then turn around and come back when you're ready.

See you there! T

Sorry guys I'm out:( have a good one

Thomas/Fumiki, I wanted to join you on the way out tomorrow, and thought there was a good possibility of being able to go, but it seems it wasn't meant to be. I hope you have fun and take pics/give a nice write up.

Made it home! Sorry I had to bail on the Kazahari leg, I was just dreading the descent being cold after a soaking wet (sweat) climb. My Jersey choice was great for autumn riding - but the windstopper front meant I became an internal fountain! Anyway - my Garmin stats are here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/116609472

Managed the O Toge in about 1:07 (If I calculate it right) A little slower than I hoped, but all things considered, pretty happy with this as my first try on this hill!

Thanks for arranging this - it was a great ride (and challenge)

Back
Top Bottom