What's new

Training Ride O-Okayama Morning ride

Jonf2016tokyo

Cruising
Jun 22, 2016
Hi,

I'm completely new to the area and here for 2 months. I want to do a training ride tomorrow morning and am based at the Tokyo Institute of Technology.

Does anybody want to show me a decent route? up to 2 hours or some hill intervals.

Thanks,
Jon.

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Kind of anxious about cycling out here. What days will you be riding? anything planned for the weekend?

The hill repeat loop is not too far. A fairly easy way to start.
Not sure which days I am riding. Looks like a nice group ride has been posted for Sunday though.

Ok thanks a lot. Is it difficult to get to the starting point of that sunday group ride from Tokyo Tech? and have you had any experience taking a bike on the train? I was told I wouldn't be able to.

Hi @Jonf2016tokyo
What kind of weekend rides are you looking for? A couple of hours on the flats? Something a little bigger, including mountain climbs? What type of rider are you ?

A mixture. A couple of hours on the flats would be perfect for some days. Mountain rides for another, interval sessions also. I'm a cat 3 crit/ road racer in the UK and will be cat 2 next year.

Hi @Jonf2016tokyo
What kind of weekend rides are you looking for? A couple of hours on the flats? Something a little bigger, including mountain climbs? What type of rider are you ?

Are you interested in going for a ride? could really do with somebody to help me out with a route and experience on Japanese roads

Are you interested in going for a ride? could really do with somebody to help me out with a route and experience on Japanese roads
I generally get out for a ride on a Saturday morning. We usually meet up at the "spaceship" which is here
Between 7 and 8 (depending on how we feel that week). It shouldn't be too difficult to get to. You are kinda central Tokyo so it would be a bit of a trek to get to the spaceship but one guy comes up from near the Tokyo some, and another from Mejiro so perhaps you could meet them and ride up the Arakawa together. I'll be riding this Saturday as long as the weather looks good. (We don't like to ride in the rain as we are scared of dissolving;). Our rides are very chilled out social affairs with the odd attempt to go fast up one of the climbs every now and then. From your place , into the Saitama mountains and back you are probably looking at between 180 and 200km but if you have a train bag, you could always get the train back which would mean between 130 and 150ish. Climbing wise , we are looking at between 1800 and 2500m of vert gain. Sound like fun?

I generally get out for a ride on a Saturday morning. We usually meet up at the "spaceship" which is here
Between 7 and 8 (depending on how we feel that week). It shouldn't be too difficult to get to. You are kinda central Tokyo so it would be a bit of a trek to get to the spaceship but one guy comes up from near the Tokyo some, and another from Mejiro so perhaps you could meet them and ride up the Arakawa together. I'll be riding this Saturday as long as the weather looks good. (We don't like to ride in the rain as we are scared of dissolving;). Our rides are very chilled out social affairs with the odd attempt to go fast up one of the climbs every now and then. From your place , into the Saitama mountains and back you are probably looking at between 180 and 200km but if you have a train bag, you could always get the train back which would mean between 130 and 150ish. Climbing wise , we are looking at between 1800 and 2500m of vert gain. Sound like fun?

@Jonf2016tokyo : these rides are always great and I have been from almost exactly where you live on a few occassions (I live in Okusawa, the next station to you).

You can get pretty close to the start point by taking the Meguro Line, which turns into the Mita Line, all the way to NishiTakashimdaira (this takes around an hour). From there it is a short trip up the Arakawa and you can't miss 'The Spaceship' (just 4km).

I would love to join you but I am out injured for a while and so can't.

@Jonf2016tokyo : these rides are always great and I have been from almost exactly where you live on a few occassions (I live in Okusawa, the next station to you).

You can get pretty close to the start point by taking the Meguro Line, which turns into the Mita Line, all the way to NishiTakashimdaira (this takes around an hour). From there it is a short trip up the Arakawa and you can't miss 'The Spaceship' (just 4km).

I would love to join you but I am out injured for a while and so can't.

That's perfect info! I've just ordered a train bag that will come tomorrow so can take the train to the 'spaceship'.

How long do you plan the ride will take @leicaman ? I also won't be riding in the rain.

Jon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom