What's new

Today November 2022

Yes that's true but the Garmin system of devices sync very nicely with one another and that's a big plus for me. Go on a cycle and the bike computer will sync with my watch and phone app. Go for a swim, and vice versa. I can keep track of all the activities in one ecosystem rather than having a plethora of different ones.
I don't think you'll have a problem with that. I use Garmin and Wahoo devices and they all share information between them.
Curious--what garmin do you use for swimming, and do you get any flak for wearing it in the pool?
From my experience, if you cover it (in case you are using a rash guard), they'll let you use it.

Yes that's true but the Garmin system of devices sync very nicely with one another and that's a big plus for me. Go on a cycle and the bike computer will sync with my watch and phone app. Go for a swim, and vice versa. I can keep track of all the activities in one ecosystem rather than having a plethora of different ones.
I don't think that's a problem these days, all devices talk to e. g. Strava or Training Peaks. What is more, you can use e. g. one of Wahoo's apps to record workouts even if you don't have a device (other than your non-Wahoo/non-Garmin) smartphone with you. I have an overview of all my rides in TrainerRoad and of all of my workouts in Strava and Training Peaks.

Curious--what garmin do you use for swimming, and do you get any flak for wearing it in the pool?
As mentioned, as long as I have a cover for it then it's fine to use. The local gym I use, Tipness, has some bands that wrap around but you can still see the watch face through it when you're swimming.
I don't think that's a problem these days, all devices talk to e. g. Strava or Training Peaks. What is more, you can use e. g. one of Wahoo's apps to record workouts even if you don't have a device (other than your non-Wahoo/non-Garmin) smartphone with you. I have an overview of all my rides in TrainerRoad and of all of my workouts in Strava and Training Peaks.
Strava doesn't talk to Garmin, but it does the other way around. So if I record an activity using Strava, it stays in Strava, but Garmin Connect will share it with Strava automatically. Wahoo doesn't sync with Garmin, from what I remember, so it makes sense for me to stay in the same ecosystem.

ive had the TOP END tacx neo 2 and didnt like it as i like my wahoo kickr core (despite it being a slighly lower tier).
the tacx was noisier and the intervals took a little bit longer to kick in when using erg mode. good thing is you dont need to plug it on the power chord, but other than that, i see no practical advantages.
(also, garmin left me with a really expensive piece of thrash when the trainer started malfunctioning. no hard feelings on the brand, but i think its something to be aware of)

My Kickr Core arrived. I haven't really given it a good test yet but I'm impressed with the feel and how quiet it is. Also nice is that I can now move my power meter off of my training bike and on to my road bike.

Anyone interested in an old but still fully functional and pretty quiet Elite trainer, and Shimano RS500 wheel with a Continental trainer tier on it... send me a DM.

I don't know about the other platforms, but Zwift can send your activities straight to your Garmin account, so it will sync into the phone app with no troubles.

I do the same, use my Garmin heart rate & cadence monitors with Zwift (with no real trouble), and that syncs instantly to Garmin Connect and doesn't count double as I usually cycle with my Garmin watch on as well...

I do the same, use my Garmin heart rate & cadence monitors with Zwift (with no real trouble), and that syncs instantly to Garmin Connect and doesn't count double as I usually cycle with my Garmin watch on as well...
Another important point is that for simple sensors like heart rate monitors, it doesn't matter what company makes them. I use a Polar H10 heart strap and that works fine with everything. If e. g. you have a Garmin head unit, then it will upload to Garmin's cloud.

Yesterday I rode from Saruhashi station up to the top of Matsuhime pass, then down to Okutama-ko, along "Okutama mukashi-michi" and to Haijima station.

Somehow doing that without a heart rate or cadence monitor didn't cause my heart or thighs to collapse. But on the other hand I was, as usual, riding some way behind everybody else, one of those half dozen bodies being on a Brompton. It doesn't seem as if there's much wrong with a Brompton. (@joewein , how's your Rocket propulsion these days?) Rather, it's the engine that matters. I've long thought that if I had a something-about-me monitor, it would give me figures whose significance I probably wouldn't be bothered to look into, but that might all be glossed as "You suck". So what's the point of paying and having more clobber on my handlebar merely to be told, numerically, "you suck"? Though maybe I've made some misunderstanding somewhere.

Anyway, as the shadows were already lengthening when we reached the 7-11 at Kori, I decided that yes, I'd take the train back from Haijima rather than ride back in the dark either (A) along some crappy roads or (B) along the cycle path, trying to avoid collisions with unreflective joggers while semi-blinded by the headlights of oncoming maternal chariots. Clearly this timidity/laziness offended the cycling gods, as both the train to Tachikawa and the Nanbu train were packed. But perhaps I was just too early: If I take a train back from the west, I usually board when it's already dark, and it's nowhere near as crowded.

Idea for a cycling apparel entrepreneur: a pair of cycling mitts, each with a message clearly legible when grasping the hoods. Left tells the wearer/rider (hood grasper) "You suck"; right says "HTFU". (The "HTFU" would have told me not to take the train.) In recognition of my creative input, I get one pair gratis, every year they're produced. I'll take them in size "L", thank you.

Rainy today and not going out, so I'll call november done. 614km spread over 16 rides, which is good considering the month seemed wet.

And the "season" is almost finished. Garmin calendar shows nine rides last december, so maybe a bit more coming up, but then jan/feb was only one ride each.

Was hoping to ride after work yesterday... rain & wind changed my mind.
I was hoping to ride before work this morning.... wet roads and not enough time to clean the bike when done, so changed my mind.
Hopefully this afternoon I can jump on the bike for a bit.

I jumped on the indoor trainer train this month as well, finally found a used (3 times! there was barely grease on the casette) one at an amazing price and made the jump. Definitely much much easier to jump on it for a workout. Feels like I'm getting what would take 3 hours through the Tokyo (red) lights done in an hour, and a whole lot easier to jump on it again the next day.

Is there a TCC club on Zwift? I looked it up but did not see one and left it be but if there's interest in one...?d
Is there TCC in Zwift? Am trying it out for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom