What's new

Today November 2022

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Another month of cycling 🚴‍♀️ :)

Not that much distance for me, but at least in October I attempted my first randonneuring event since April.

On Sunday I did a ride in Hakone and could see some autumn leaves. It's getting colder, first time this season I wore my winter trousers (late in the day). I am looking forward to a koyo (autumn leaves) ride this coming weekend, before another trip abroad.

Ditto for me - the mornings are certainly getting a lot colder now for those early starts, but the sunrises are a good payoff for when you get out there. I'm looking forward to getting some nice pastries and hot coffees on the rides now.

After a slow (wet) start, 697km over 19 'rides' in october. Leaving shortly to get november started.

I'm sick again, ugh, so I think I'll end my training season: I was sick for almost two weeks, went on a two-week trip and have caught our toddler's cold.

A new toy arrived yesterday - most of it anyway. The wheels did not make it yet.
Last night I unpacked and "ridewrapped" the frame. The wheels should be here today so I can get the tubeless setup and hopefully a fun ride on Saturday.

1667257634342.png

1667257741081.png

Sunday was still October but who cares, today is November :) Here are some pictures from the Hakone ride (only 62 km, on Strava).

s800.jpg

Here's the view from Taikanzan at about 1 km above sea level. Look closely at the center of the picture and you can spot the top of Mt Fuji peeking through the clouds. I always enjoy the view from up there over Ashinoko (Laki Ashi) -- I think it's one of the best views in the Hakone area.

I wanted to do a ride on Sunday but was up very late on Saturday night, so I decided to make it a short one (non-Century) and drive to Odawara. From there I climbed the Old Tokaido road up to Hakone, then Taikanzan on Rt75 and down to Yugawara on the other side and finally back to Odawara on the coastal road.

s800.jpg

Did you know Odawara has a Russian-Orthodox church? There are a few around the country (日本ハリストス正教会, Nihon Harisutosu Seikyōkai, OCJ) under the Moscow Patriarchate of Patriarch Kirill (a KGB agent).

s800.jpg

s800.jpg

Rt 732 follows the Old Tokaido footpath along the Sukumo river. It's winding and steep, with up to 17 percent in places, but around half of that for the most part.

s800.jpg

Besides onsen the Hakone area is famous for its elaborate wooden boxes with beautiful patterns. There are a few shops that sell them.

s800.jpg

I rested at a conbini near the lake and had some coffee and food. Then I climbed to Taikanzan. There I changed from shorts into winter trousers and put on all my layers (t-shirt + winter jersey + windbreaker) for the descent to Yugawara.

s800.jpg

The coastal road back to Odawara was very busy, I passed many many cars on the left.

s800.jpg

One more pass by the castle to enjoy the views in moonshine, then back to the car.

The drive back to Tokyo was awful. Tomei was one big traffic jam. I took a nap at Ebina service area.

s800.jpg

Near my home I spotted a Mercedes-Benz EQA battery electric SUV, the first I had ever seen in Japan.

I was coming home from Fujiten and ended up shooting down and taking 134 home to Hayama.
Tomei sucks normally on a Sunday, but yesterday was extra bad.

Out early this morning on this years new purchase which I will review later. I felt inspired to make a new months resolution. As I have had to switch from 3G I now have gps on a smartphone and the new ride has a bluetooth sensor built in. So I am curious to log the kms I commute and recreationaly cycle. I haven't taken data since I lived in Hokkaido decades ago when I trained and road raced.
I will start a tech or help thread and would appreciate advice on how to use the iphone and the sensor.

And speaking of Bar-tailed Godwits, I cycled past the spot one stayed for a week May last year, this morning in Sagami estuary.

Windier than heck today, but at least started off into it, second part was either tailwind or mostly positive.

Hit the local trail today after work. They are in close to perfect condition. Time to park the roadie and play!!

Hit the local trail today after work. They are in close to perfect condition. Time to park the roadie and play!!
Great day today out there. Perfect weather!

Looking at your videos and all I can think is how many broken bones I'd have by the end of a day of that.

I have broken my share. Since I have been in Japan, it has luckily only been a finger & 4 ribs.
Partially ripped PCL, 2 sprained ankles and a sprained knee.
2 concussions...
But over ten years, that is not too bad. :D

On Sunday, I looked at a new jump 2 times as I passed it. It didn't seem to square up as I would like to a landing zone and I was struggling to visualize a safe line. So on my third run down that trail I went full commit with the mindset - "if I crash, I crash" - While on the ramp, I was able to see the line. Hit it like I knew what I was doing and the landing was perfect. I hit it 2 more times before the end of the day, but looking back - I knew there was a chance i would go down.... did it anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom