What's new

Today November 2020

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
I started November by riding from a little before sunset on Halloween to 01:30 in the morning, both to clear some Veloviewer tiles and to bump up my October distance total: 1230 km is the furthest I rode in any one month since May 2015. I cleared 24 tiles and bumped my Max Square from 25x25 to 27x27 (on Strava).

I got an invite to join in an Odawara Ride yesterday morning. I have not given the road bike much love, so I accepted and dragged along another MTBr. 6 total riders with 4 capable of pulling at 40kph ro more. The other two ride often, but this was a personal best distance for both of them.
A 5am start gave us perfect traffic conditions on the way out. On the way back, not too bad, but you could see the horrible traffic jams heading west on the way back.
In the group - 3 of us remained together for almost th entire ride taking turns pulling and chatting. The 4th one capable of riding up front would occassionally drop back and check on the other 2. (this was something we took turns doing - just like pulling)

We did run into 1 notable rider tho.
We were were near Chigasaki, I overtook a rider on a blue cannondale. I was doing 45ish - he was doing 35ish. I thought nothing of it.
About 400m later, I saw the light up ahead was red, so I slow pedaled to time the light vs stopping. Cannondale zooms around me, then puts his hand out to let me know he is slowing for the red light. Not a biggie, I assume maybe I caught the guy on a breather and he was faster than us, so I sat behind him at the light and when it turned green..... he took his sweet time getting up to speed. After following for 20 second or so from the light and barely getting up to 20kph, I zipped around and took off again and the other 2 followed me. 4 minutes later or so, I start to slow for another red light. Sure enough, the cannondale zoom around and puts his hand out again that he is slowing down. I am a little annoyed that he did this twice, but hoping again, maybe his take off last time was slow due to a mechanical or something he may have sorted by now...... nope. Same thing. This time there was more traffic, so it was a legit minute or so of sub 30kph pace behind him...... then off we went again around. Just an annoying rider to be around. So the three of us decided to pull off the road and wait for the back three. That took a few minutes, then we headed off. By Enoshima we caught the Cannondale again... This time, his tongue was out and body language was screaming "blown up" - I kept my feelings to myself and just blew past him again. This time we didn't not see him again.

Another thing I noted on this past weekends ride... I certainly prefer Campy to Shimano/SRAM.
I have all three and ride all three, but the most comfort comes from Campy.

Good week so far, 86 km in the bag + about 400m or so. Wish it wasn't all on Zwift. Hey who am I kidding. The complete lack of cell phone zombies and other hacks is great.

Today I did a short ride to Yorkmart.
Uploaded the rideand 7000km on the year.
With 2 kids, i did not expect beeak even 5k this year. This is split about 50/50 zwift and outside. I wish it was more outside, but tight schedules and early morning workouts dont leave me enough time to really enjoy morning rides. They all feel rushed. Zwift lets me spend 100% of my time pedaling. So in a pinch, it is appealing.

Last edited:
Nice work on the exceeding expectations @bloaker . Two kids here too, so its about 90/10 Zwift inside and outside, particularly with a lot more online Zoom meetings for work vs. travel.

Went out for a ride this morning. I thought it was done raining but got caught in a sudden downpour for around 20mins or so. The rain washed away all the lube on my chain leaving me with a squeaky drivetrain all the way home.

Went out for a ride this morning. I thought it was done raining but got caught in a sudden downpour for around 20mins or so. The rain washed away all the lube on my chain leaving me with a squeaky drivetrain all the way home.
20 minutes seems pretty short for that.

I had the same issue on the Fleche ride from Aichi prefecture to Tokyo last month where it rained from the morning to after midnight. A team mate helped me out in the morning of the second day with a tiny portion of lubricant in a repurposed soy sauce container. You may have seen these tiny fish-shaped containers that come with sushi bento boxes:

It takes up almost no space and holds just the right amount of lubricant needed for one relube of the chain.

I never thought I'd say this but I actually enjoyed my commute to the office today. I guess the reasons are:

- it is now down to only once a week
- I can more or less choose which day of the week to go (so can avoid bad weather etc)
- it was a great cool and dry autumn day, with tailwind to boot
- I went in the afternoon, and it was noticeably less cars on the streets
- I don't get much cardio these days apart from the commutes, and it's a rare opportunity to enjoy outdoors

so even going down to the city can become enjoyable under certain conditions...

Dropped into the LBS as I was cycling past and a young bloke had his Pinarello Prince FX in getting looked at.
A car had taken him out last Saturday by turning right across the road and not seeing him. He had a bit of a sore back but otherwise okay. Bikewise a tacoed front wheel, front forks out of alignment and he was rightly worried about the frame. He wasn't sure about the other drivers insurance company being happy to pay for his ¥350,000 frame or how much depreciation there might be. I think the frame should be okay but will need an xray. The fork and wheel alone are going to be a lot.
I've seen him a few times out on his stealth black bike in his stealth black wear, and visibility might have been a factor. One flasher on the front and rear is not enough for riding in traffic IMO. Be careful out there.
1604647935232.png1604647935232.png

Dropped into the LBS as I was cycling past and a young bloke had his Pinarello Prince FX in getting looked at.
A car had taken him out last Saturday by turning right across the road and not seeing him. He had a bit of a sore back but otherwise okay. Bikewise a tacoed front wheel, front forks out of alignment and he was rightly worried about the frame. He wasn't sure about the other drivers insurance company being happy to pay for his ¥350,000 frame or how much depreciation there might be. I think the frame should be okay but will need an xray. The fork and wheel alone are going to be a lot.
I've seen him a few times out on his stealth black bike in his stealth black wear, and visibility might have been a factor. One flasher on the front and rear is not enough for riding in traffic IMO. Be careful out there.
View attachment 21180View attachment 21180

The insurance company should pay that and more. I got 900,000 when I was hit on my road bike and a similar amount when I was sideswiped on my a TT bike.

The fact that he is okay is the most important thing though.

Andy

As for depriciation in value, I think the standard figure was 10% per year, but I might be wrong.

You don't need actual receipts either. So if for example you bought a helmet on wiggle for 10,000 two years ago, and there is a similar one at Ys road for 20,000, then just claim that amount.

In both my experiences, the driver's insurance company guy, who comes to visit you at home, was keen for me to get as much compensation as possible. Their worst fear is that you will press criminal charges. If you agree not to do that, you should be able yo make a healthy insurance claim.

Andy

the driver's insurance company guy, who comes to visit you at home,

of course, the home visits only happen in inaka. in tokyo I've had to deal with similar issues couple of times. all done by phone and email (photos, links to amazon prices etc)

of course, the home visits only happen in inaka. in tokyo I've had to deal with similar issues couple of times. all done by phone and email (photos, links to amazon prices etc)

In both cases the driver drove me to the hospital and visited us the next day with presents to say sorry (actively encouraged by the insurance company I guess)despite being a 100k or more round trip. Inaka bliss.

Andy

I got a huge basket of fruit and the driver actually drove up as I was riding my spare bike with arm in cast to the LBS. Really nice couple and when the police took my report I was very clear that I didn't want them punished for what was simply an error. He called me later to thank me for that as he got away with a 7,000 yen fine. Accidents that involve injury are always taken a bit more serious and someone had called an ambulance even though it was only a broken hand. I told the bloke yesterday to go to hospital and get his back looked at. It doesn't do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom