Ride Nov 9th - Fall Boso

Phil

Maximum Pace
Basil and I were planning a Boso run on the 9th of November and would love the company if anyone is interested in joining.

When: Sat. Nov 9th, 9:15 AM rollout
Where: Start and finish at Honda (誉田) Station on the JR Sotobo-sen (Chiba)
Pace: Moderate, but we are aiming to get back to the station by 3:30 so steady pace. 2 combini stops.
Route:
A repeat of Backroads Boso IV from last year. Avoids most of the obscure rindos that might have been washed out in the typhoon. Up and down 131 kms. Not blistering pace, but not recommended for beginners, due to winter time constraints.

Please note that there are no lockers at Honda Station--however, Basil and/or I might have our cars for stowing stuff; will let you know.

It's been a while since our last Boso ride, hope a few of you can make it!

Phil

Maximum Pace
Musashi > Will be good to meet you--hope you can make it.
Josh > Staying upright, and also avoiding ferocious hailstorms, I hope.
Chikako > Will be good to see you again--exact same route as the last time, I think?
Tom > See you there. Hoping for tailwinds this time...

Also forgot to mention, we will move to Sunday if Saturday looks dodgy weatherwise.

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Won't make it on the 9th because I'm racing in Okinawa. Instead I will pay a visit to Boso this weekend. Maybe somebody knows:
-where good spots to watch koyo are?
-good routes/roads in the South, e.g. Tateyama area?

Apr 3, 2012
Boso
Won't make it on the 9th because I'm racing in Okinawa. Instead I will pay a visit to Boso this weekend. Maybe somebody knows:
-where good spots to watch koyo are?
-good routes/roads in the South, e.g. Tateyama area?
Route 182 (known to the locals as Momiji Doori) just to the east of Kazusaminato Station is probably the best known spot in Chiba for koyo. Route 88 running parallel to it is very nice too.
Here's a southbound koyo viewing ride I'm planning to in the very near future. Perhaps on Monday. Very pleasant roads for cycling.

Phil

Maximum Pace
I'd definitely second hat and beard's suggestions. I don't see those roads as much because they are too far south to do as a day ride from my door, but I have ridden them in the past and they are great.

If you want something with a start in the northern part of the peninsula (maybe shorter train ride?) the Kameyama Lakes area and Yoro Gorge are also good in koyo season. For example something like this?

It's probably too early for the colors at these altitudes, but they nice roads any time of the year...

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
So, I did some riding there the last weekend. Just green leaves for now. Signs said that peak koyo isn't expected until mid, late November. Still, Boso is beautiful any time of the year, just point your bike and go.
Interested to do a CX ride there in the near future, with so many trails to be had...

Phil

Maximum Pace
macrophotofly, Caryakine > Hope you can both make it!

Scouted part of the route on a drizzly Monday and saw more typhoon damage on many routes. The road just south of Honda Station that I was hoping to use was completely collapsed:

HI3A0293.jpg

Surprising, as it's a fairly well-travelled 2-lane road on a gentle slope, not a steep rindo. Anyway, easily bypassed, so no worries. If I get a chance today I'll draw up a slightly revised route.

Phil

Maximum Pace
Here is a slightly revised route, to take us past the road above. Also decided to take in the 465 south of Otaki, which I rarely include in order to avoid the 297, but it's such a nice stretch I though it was worth dealing with 2 kms of busy road to get to.

Pucci

Speeding Up
Jul 12, 2006
Yokohama
My Saturday has just cleared, so count me in!

Unfortunately, getting to Honda from far away Yokohama is a bit of a bear. I plan to jump on the Aqualine (yes by car...) as far as Mobara-Chosei and can snag the group as you go through Senda 千田 crossing at the 20.5 km mark. 10:00 sound reasonable?

Phil, I'll PM my number.