What's new

Today Nov 2019

Didn't know the Dutch were so into oompah music...
This photo reminded me of my predicament last weekend after I broke the rack on my bike, but still needed to take it home.
View attachment 19095
Times get a bit funny while we are on the road.

Is your rear tire a bit low on air?

No, I'm just fat, so the poor bastard was probably being squashed by the strain at having to carry me.

You would think riding a bike one would be all trim and fit, well, it sure hasn't worked out well for me.

You do realize how bad it is when you are seriously trying to make it a full calendar year without buying a new bike.
It's not big, and it's not clever.

You do realize how bad it is when you are seriously trying to make it a full calendar year without buying a new bike.
I'm in my 4th year back in Germany now and I've got only three bikes. My equation is off. If I count in my wife's bike I'm good. And if I count in the bike I bought and sold again. It sounds more reasonable.
But still the bike at hand are...well only 3. Hm.
The good thing's, as long as I keep it in my tight budget I aloud to fix those numbers. I'm very thankful for the big second hand market here.
Next on the list: sub 100 Euro MTB to explore the woods and find out, if my body (knees) still likes riding off road as much as my mind does.

PSA: The next olympic ticket lottery closes on 26th November. I think you can apply for up to 18 tickets this time. I found the choice mesmerizing and the UI a bit confusing the first time I did it. Best of luck!

You would think riding a bike one would be all trim and fit, well, it sure hasn't worked out well for me.
Based on my experience, cycling alone has been detrimental for weight loss. I overeat always, but after cycling eat even more and justify doing so by telling myself that I have cycled a lot and therefore deserve it. If you want to lose weight, you have to cut calorie intake.

What @Kangaeroo says. If exercise makes you feel like you can now eat more because you've burnt extra calories, you may not shed any weight. It's easy to out-eat almost any calorie burn from exercise. Lots of people take up running or cycling to lose weight only to find that goal elusive. Weight loss has to start with eating differently and exercise can only reinforce that change of lifestyle, not replace it.

All the weight I lost (10+ kg) was before I started doing all day bike rides of 160 km and more, not after. Since then I have actually gained weight (which my wife likes because she thought I looked too skinny).

Wheel swap evening...
As things are getting cold and with my wipeout in the rain all in my head, I decided to go with a wheel swap on my fargo tonight.
I set up my formula/dtswiss wheels with a set of VeeRubber 2.25" tires. A bit more meat and a slight bit more grip.
I had to adjust my fenders to make room, but no issues with that.

I think the SS is going to get the next tweaks...
Off with the suspension and go with a rigid fork. Then take off the meaty 29x2.4 Ardents and pop on a set of panaracer tires I have and have an urban destroyer!

I do miss my garage back in Virginia.

A little boredom and spare parts...
Another variation of my SS
20191123_113402.jpg20191123_113358.jpg20191123_113411.jpg

My irrational justifucation - I need something to ride with my daughter that will keep me from doing really stupid stuff in front of her.
On my practice run in the rain, I already tested riding up a 4 step climb then down 15 wet steps. While it is different, I think I might have already failed in preventing myself from doing dumb stuff.

I do see another change coming on this bike...
Set up my XT/i29 rims with semi slicks then swap the SS setup over and boom... a bit more of a challenge as I will slip & slide a touch more in some conditions.

So... tested the new setup today.
Set a PR on a road climb?!?!?!
Overall it was stupid fun, but reminded me how lazy i have become. Suspension is amazing, but it also allows you to be sloppy. I went down once today and my bike went done another 3 times or so. In addition, i almost went down another dozen times. Conditions were awful and I would have struggled regardless of the bike I was on, but this made it extra difficult - yet completely a blast.

20191124_115409.jpg20191124_123416.jpg20191124_115235.jpg

Back
Top Bottom