What's new

Not cycling related* looking for teenaged Tokyo attractions

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
My nephew (16) is heading home soon and wants to see Tokyo, but doesn't want to go to Disneyland.
What can the TCC community suggest for two days. I am thinking Tsukiji market and Odaiba but if there are any other suggestions can you please let this country bopkin know.
Cheers

Not an anime otaku and likes sports and active stuff.
Into skateboarding and stuff as well.

Fujikyu Highland (bit far in Kawaguchi-ko, but has world class roller coasters), Oedo Onsen (in Odaiba - onsen with Japanese matsuri feel), Hanabi taikai, skatepark in Miyashita Koen (Shibuya), Yoyogi park/Takeshita dori/Meiji shrine combo (on Sunday), Joyopolis (in Odaida - one of the world's largets indoor amusement parks - think TONS of high tech electronic/arcade games), baseball game (like Swallows)

Not an anime otaku and likes sports and active stuff.
Into skateboarding and stuff as well.

Yomuri Land is brilliant and well worth every penny spent - NO CUES!

Also for skate parks Shin-Yokohama - Nissan (or what ever it's called this month) has a pretty impressive skate park which is free.

He should hang out in Shibuya in the evening and try to bag some chicks.

In all seriousness: tsukiji? yawn. odaiba? view of the skyline is nice but otherwise just ok.
Shibuya, miyashita park, harajuku, yoyogi park is where it's at for a 16 yr old. Shimokita is cool too, but the crowd is more university-age.

Buy a new board in Japan! Sure it will be a great thing for him to show his mates back home

If he's into punk (tenuous skateboarding connection) I'd take him around Koenji. Aside from that, yeah Harajuku and Shibuya are never boring for young 'uns.

You could take him to Ameyoko for lunch. Poor man's Tsukiji. Get him decked out in one of those satin Drive-esque bomber jackets while you're there. Or take him to Kabuki-cho to pick out some yakuza tracksuits.

If he's into punk (tenuous skateboarding connection) I'd take him around Koenji. Aside from that, yeah Harajuku and Shibuya are never boring for young 'uns.

I'm not into punk but I can still enjoy Koenji. As for Harajuku, what's there to see? Yes, shops selling stuff (which doesn't seem particularly innovative), and people windowgazing and shopping. Anything much else?

Takao-san. I mean, walk up it (sweat sweat) and back down. It's encrusted with mumbo-jumbo, a lot of which is highly photogenic and amusing. Observe tengu and his/their ippon-geta. And then go up and come back down by chairlift, which is cheap, because it's great fun too.

Tokyo Skytree (not that I've ever been there myself), a view of the Asahi golden bowel movement, and of course a wander around nearby Asakusa. Google beforehand for a geta shop that sells ippon-geta. Now they'd be real conversation pieces back home, especially if he could learn to walk in them.

Yeah Koenji is fun regardless of musical predilection, but if he's into punk he would appreciate the history of the place more, perhaps. Plus it has Cafe Amp which does the best coffee I've had in Tokyo.

Back
Top Bottom