What's new

norikura skyline hill climb

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Cheers Doug, if you look at the data, the HR drops for the latter part of the climb. This is common for me on long HCs like this one.

Maybe a result of "settling in to the climb"? Or other limitations taking over?

Don't get much chance to do more than 5 or 6km climbs in training, so that could be a factor too...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

hmm, nice to see the age group pushed to 56... I may have to jump in on these next year so I can be the 'youngest' in my group.

Well done. If your bike was 2kg lighter (6 kg) you`d have won your category.

Cheers Doug, if you look at the data, the HR drops for the latter part of the climb. This is common for me on long HCs like this one.

Maybe a result of "settling in to the climb"? Or other limitations taking over?

Don't get much chance to do more than 5 or 6km climbs in training, so that could be a factor too...

I don`t use heart rate, so what I write might not be the most accurate...anyway...
iro the HR you were targetting, were you trying to hold `threshold` for the race, as actual threshold (MLSS) can only be held for something like 40-55 minutes, so if your race was 68/69 mins, then there`s no way you can hold a threshold effort for that long. Have you tested how long you can hold threshold for? Also, if you crossed over critical power when breaking from the group/trying to close the gap, then that would again result in not being able to maintain the effort (assuming the decline in HR at the end was equivalent to a drop in power). Also, possible effects of warm-up.

Keep up the good work and rest!

Well done. If your bike was 2kg lighter (6 kg) you`d have won your category.

I don`t use heart rate, so what I write might not be the most accurate...anyway...
iro the HR you were targetting, were you trying to hold `threshold` for the race, as actual threshold (MLSS) can only be held for something like 40-55 minutes, so if your race was 68/69 mins, then there`s no way you can hold a threshold effort for that long. Have you tested how long you can hold threshold for? Also, if you crossed over critical power when breaking from the group/trying to close the gap, then that would again result in not being able to maintain the effort (assuming the decline in HR at the end was equivalent to a drop in power). Also, possible effects of warm-up.

Keep up the good work and rest!

Cheers Sikochi!

I wasn't targeting heart rate too closely as I was sharing the climb with 1 to 3 other guys all the way. So depending on how strong they were would effect how hard I was going when following wheels.

It's not a uniform climb either, so in a group there are places where you have to dig a little and others were you can ease off.

I referred to it as a "TT on the limit" because I thought I rode as hard as I could over the full course. Perceived effort.

But maybe I lost something performance wise from going too hard in the first part of the climb (180 HR / 80 cadence)

I agree that you can pay for earlier hard efforts too. But unfortunately, the first two or 3 kilometres in a hill climb are were you have to go hardest. Try to make the selection. Which again is why you need a really good warm up so you can be ready to go from the gun. Catch 22!

Next hill climb takes 35 to 45 minutes, so I can just blast it! (well maybe!)

Andy

Just noticed the 2 kg comment! I think 6.8 kg is the minimum (They checked it at the start.)? So 1 .2 kg (2 cans of beer and a bag of nuts) to play with. I could bring my bike weight down with a lighter seat and lightweight components ... or I could just stop drinking so much beer....

Andy

Weighed without bottles.

They weighed them at the sign on, which is a bit silly really as you could just stick on a pair of heavy wheels if your bike was breaking the limit, and switch them over before the start.

Best idea would be to grab the bike off you as you cross the line!

Andy

I believe a mutual indulgence in the evening refreshements would've resulted in much more on the laughter front.
Rode it on my training bike, and it is well over the 6.8kg.... Plus the 74kg of lard sitting on it.
All good fun... see you in October lad

September mate! Unless we're doing the Japan Cup together? Now that's a course!

Even on 0% beer you had me laughing! Perhaps my favorite being "I didn't enjoy that. I was passed by Chris Froome in full Team Sky kit. Then Lance Armstrong. And then two .. TWO! world champions!"

Andy

www.jyonnobirime.com/time

Sure, with races you rarely get a chance to ride how you want to.

Just noticed the 2 kg comment! I think 6.8 kg is the minimum (They checked it at the start.)? So 1 .2 kg (2 cans of beer and a bag of nuts) to play with. I could bring my bike weight down with a lighter seat and lightweight components ... or I could just stop drinking so much beer....

Choice of tyres, helmet, clothing is another way to go. Though for me, trying to do a hill climb race with say an Evade would be an impossibility methinks. And there is no way I`m shaving my legs :gomen:

PS: I wouldn`t want to ride without my bag of nuts either :eek:

Last edited:
Nah, I love my hairy legs. I`d feel naked without them and paranoid how much of the hair would grow back. And psychologically, I`d be like Samson without them. So for races, I`ll just wear my running tights, probably more aero than just skin anyway.

Back
Top Bottom