What's new

Norikura - King of The Hill

andy_w

Warming-Up
Feb 4, 2009
http://www.j-cycling.org/norikura/index.html

Date: 28/29 August, race to the top of the highest mountain pass in Japan, 2720m!

The applications have been open since April 1st, close April 20th, so no time to waste if you want to download the forms and post them the old way.

Be warned that accommodation will be VERY limited that weekend, Norikura is a very small place.

Interested?

Are there any conditions/restrictions on riding back down?

Also, I think that some part of the Norikura area is restricted access--you can't drive in but have to park and take a bus..., or is it possible to cycle in?

Thanks for update on this! I just registered.

I just missed out on registering, if anyone knows of a spare ticket please let me know:) Would love to do this one.

JDD, the beauty of Norikura is that it is closed to public traffic, only taxis and buses are allowed to the top. This means no motorbike engines and especially no bosuzoku roaring past, just the sound of your gears clicking and your lungs exploding in the thin mountain air.

So its a great place to visit during summer when the snow has melted, a cycling haven.

Getting down after the race - it would be more fun to keep cycling over the top along norikura skyline, and looping around back to the start before the sequence of tunnels on the 158. Last year, this route was closed due to landslides so some investigation will be needed to find out if the return loop is open now.

Still a long way off, so still waiting for confirmation of race entrance before making any travel arrangements here.

Just to say again, if anyone knows of a spare ticket, please let me know.....really wanna do this one.

Back
Top Bottom