What's new

Half Fast Norikura Cycle Challenge 18 & 19 July

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
SOCCIN2015-montage-800.jpg

I'm honoured to invite TCC members to participate in the 2015 Cycle Challenge in Norikura. Up a big mountain.

All the details: http://halffastcycling.com/norikura/index.html

This event centers around a 20 km hill climb to the highest tōge in Japan passable on a road bike - Norikura on the border of Nagano and Gifu prefectures.

More importantly, it's a charity event. We raise money for TELL. TELL is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing world-class, effective support and counseling services to Japan's international community and helping to address the country's growing mental health care needs.TELL is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing world-class, effective support and counseling services to Japan's international community and helping to address the country's growing mental health care needs.

We will organize a fun weekend trip, traveling by train and bus to get to the wonderful and friendly Northstar lodge.

This is a great opportunity to make a personal challenge (get fitter, climb faster) and simultaneously help the very important work of TELL. We will organize some half-fast mountain practice rides in the weeks leading up to the event, so there will be plenty of opportunities to get out and practice. Climbing mountains is not easy - it's supposed to be a challenge! But you might be surprised what you can do.

It is NOT a race.

Routes and Groups

There will be three cycling groups:

A: The 'advanced' group ride about 140 km from Chino Station through three mountain ranges to Northstar on Saturday [map], and then 70+ km up and over Norikura and some other hills on Sunday. [map]

I: The 'intermediate' group ride about 85 km from Shiojiri Station through the mountains to Northstar on Saturday [map], and then up and over Norikura and maybe some other hills on Sunday. [map]

C: The 'challenge' group travel by train and bus to Northstar, have a short practice ride on Saturday, and then ride 20 km up and 20 km down Norikura on Sunday. [map]

These groups are not the same level as Half-Fast Cycling Advanced/Intermediate/Beginner rides. It all involves mountains, and is all very different (in a good way) from the Tokyo waterfront!

How much?

The cost for the event is 16,000 yen. This includes:

Bus travel between Northstar and Matsumoto station (where needed)
Overnight stay at Northstar, with yummy meals
Accident insurance
Donation to TELL

Train fares are not included.
All the details: http://halffastcycling.com/norikura/index.html

We've been doing this for several years. Norikura alumni may reflect on past experiences in the comments below.

Entry is open NOW. Write to me!

Last edited:
Oooooh. How fast do the spots usually fill up? I'm not sure if I can go yet, but should know in a week or two.

I rode with the intermediate group last year. Saturday was hot, scenic and overall a great success, other than our great leader @Half-Fast Mike getting downed halfway through. I especially enjoyed the all you can eat at the lodge. The service, staff and overall experience was outstanding!

On Sunday the climb started ok, but halfway through it started raining, which escalated to heavy rain, fog and gusts of wind. I could see a bus coming at me when it was around 5 meter away. Coming down, freezing cold, I was just hoping my fingers would hold the grip on brakes and I would crash into something. I really hope the weather would be better this year for the actual climb.

Last year the gap between intermediate and advanced was quite substantial. I would like to join the advanced ride on Saturday, but I'm afraid I would just be dead weight.

(ps. I forgot to pay but will do asap)

A few notes

- It's on the weekend of 18th & 19th July.

- We're raising money for TELL (f.k.a. Tokyo English Life Line - a really important NPO serving the international community)

- We have several places left.

- It only costs 16,000 yen.

- It involves the personal physical challenge of cycling up a beautiful mountain to the highest place you can cycle in Japan. So cool! We will get you up.

- You have the option to stay a second night at the very hospitable Northstar lodge for only 9,000 yen. Then on Monday 20th you
have the option to join a half-day (mostly downhill) guided mountain biking tour for only 5,800 yen inc. bike rental, or enjoy hiking trails in the area or just sit in the lovely hot springs and soak your cares away.

- Essential info here http://halffastcycling.com/norikura/index.html

If you want to go by train go and get your train tickets straight away I mean tomorrow they will sell out very soon I'm serious do it.

Then tell me you are coming, and which optional extras you want to enjoy. And pray for sunshine.

Well… what are you waiting for?

=Mike=

Well… what are you waiting for?

I was waiting till I reached a higher level of negligence (about the other things I'll have to do in mid-July) and general insanity; once I reached that (this afternoon), I bought my train tickets.

"His body ached, his legs grew tired, but still" -- um, not sure about the last part.

I got my ticket today, so that's one more rider. Looking forward to it, I must say. Even a single night away from Tokyo in July up the mountain somewhere is worth all the effort.

Back
Top Bottom