What's new

Non-UCI Approved Kit

TimKendall

Speeding Up
Dec 28, 2009
Just a word of warning.
I've heard that the JCF/JBCF is likely to take a stronger stance on UCI approved kit during the 2013 season.
Certainly last season they ramped up their efforts to check bikes (weights, and brands, etc), and Helmets prior to some races. From what I hear, this tend may increase during this season.:eek:

Just a word of warning.
I've heard that the JCF/JBCF is likely to take a stronger stance on UCI approved kit during the 2013 season.
Certainly last season they ramped up their efforts to check bikes (weights, and brands, etc), and Helmets prior to some races. From what I hear, this tend may increase during this season.:eek:

Those masnufacturers that got raped by the UCI want some pay back. UCI is still stinking things up for the sake of big money.

I guess my point is... Be careful.
I know at least three riders that had some issues during last season. One was not allowed to ride because his wheels were not on the UCI approved list, andother that had to borrow a helmet from his team mate (ewwww), and another who after taking JCF insurance, voided it by not using an approved helmet....

Are they just spot checking the podium finishers? Or full scrutineering /impound? Or just random checks? When I wasn't racing in the US, I worked as a referee. All riders had to have full scrutineering with a special impound prior to start or a 'sticker'.

Agreed - most of this just benefits the mfg's that pay-off UCI in one way or the other. Like the idiotic helmet 'sticker' or completely nonsense wheeltest (which we've done).

To give you an idea - at least I know about the wheeltest -

- Pay ALOT of money to the ONLY LAB (in Switzerland, of course)
- They drop a block of cement on your wheels
- The smash a block of cement into your wheels.
- If none of the spokes come out of the rim, you pass.
- You are basically free to use that rim in whatever combination thereof.
- They only test the front wheel - so literally any spoke hole combination is fine.
- They do the 4x per rim (8 tests total) , then issue you an 'approval'.

Frametest - NOTHING! You just provide them ALOT OF MONEY and a CAD drawing of your frame. If it 'meets' the spec - you are granted.

Helmet - schizophrenic. Just about anything with a sticker will pass. ASTM, EN, CEN, Snell, CPSC, CAS. Sometimes more related to the country of entry than anything else. UCI rules just say it must be an approved helmet which means tested by an 'approved' testing body.

They'd be better to spend time to actually scrutineer the individual bikes. I worked as a ref for many events and failed more bikes than I can remember for everything from improperly glued tires to loose handlebars and cracked frames. This stuff is far more important than what stickers are on the bike or kit - but hey, this is Japan. Stickers ARE more important.

I guess my point is... Be careful.
I know at least three riders that had some issues during last season. One was not allowed to ride because his wheels were not on the UCI approved list, andother that had to borrow a helmet from his team mate (ewwww), and another who after taking JCF insurance, voided it by not using an approved helmet....

They'd be better to spend time to actually scrutineer the individual bikes.
You mean like stopping fixed gear bikes in races that forbid them?:eek:

Well, if you're talking about UCI sanctioned races... then yes, of course. As for the 'funrides' , then they'd do better to actually involve more genre of bikes and make it more safe for everyone. And checking a few of them would be kind of nice. :)

They'd be better to spend time to actually scrutineer the individual bikes.
You mean like stopping fixed gear bikes in races that forbid them?:eek:

With helmets, any decent helmet you buy in Japan will have a JCF circular sticker with the year of manufacture on it. This is what you need to race JCF, JBCF races.

If you buy the same helmet from Wiggle, CRC etc, it won't have the sticker. But if you have one sticker you can switch it around helmets, which is what I do for an aerohelmet I have without the JCF sticker...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

With helmets, any decent helmet you buy in Japan will have a JCF circular sticker with the year of manufacture on it. This is what you need to race JCF, JBCF races.

If you buy the same helmet from Wiggle, CRC etc, it won't have the sticker. But if you have one sticker you can switch it around helmets, which is what I do for an aerohelmet I have without the JCF sticker...

Andy

Now that's the idea ;)

Andy

We are sponsored by Giro and the helmets come from out main head office so no JCF/UCI stickers, they do have a list of approved helmets but you have to wait till they find it..... we just all rock in to the check station together and mine has a sticker and everyone else just points to thier heads.

In regards to checks at the Maihama Crit all bikes were weighed and checked - I know of one bike that they had to switch wheels out on, however the rider then switched back - he podium finished and was stripped of his win and fined.

The checks are only in place for JCF/JBCF and UCI races in Japan.

You can get you hemet checked for approval. You have to send it in for inspection. I found this out because I brought up the point to my coach that my head does not fit Asia fit helmets.
They will issue a sticker if it passes the inspection.
Hemet has to be new I presume.
I never ended up doing this but I plan to next season.
I will let you all know how it goes.

-Chuck

Like I said they have an approved list so all you need to do is make sure yours is on that list. If however it's not as Chuck says, it would need to be sent off for testing - Im guessing they drop a concrete block on it so best order 2!

Haha! I have no clue what authorised body does Japan safety testing - but they do seem to follow CEN more than anything. So if your helmet is CEN approved, or CSPC approved (US), then likely they just need to see that and will give you the sticker.

Like I said they have an approved list so all you need to do is make sure yours is on that list. If however it's not as Chuck says, it would need to be sent off for testing - Im guessing they drop a concrete block on it so best order 2!

Ditto on most of what James has said.
There were a couple of occasions last season where bikes were given a fairly close look at.
The point is that the JCF need to draw a line, and whether that is manufacturers that have paid off the UCI is irrelevant. There are some dodgy manufacturers around, and there is good stuff around, but if your name aint on the list, you aint coming in! They are just covering their own arses.
I was aware aware of one guy at Maishima Crit last season that was asked to remove his wheels, and there are other cases that are ta;lked about in the peloton too.
I believe they will ramp up the checks this year. Whether it will happen or not is another thing... haha

I would like to make one point about wheels - it's not just the rims - it's spokes, spoke count, hubs and rims that are tested and authorized.

If you were to take a DA hub and then slam a SRAM S60 on it with DT Swiss spokes It would not be an authorized wheel. The wheel is given approval as a whole unit not parts. Also as many of you know there are mass producers of equipment that then get rebranded - if one brand is UCI approved this does not carry over to clone or OEM products that are identical, each brand MUST seek individual approval.

Frame and Forks are different as each is awarded a UCI approval. They are also covered under "Grandfathering" where if the frame was produced before the approval scheme was introduced then it is ok to ride.

Teams and brands can submit frames, forks, wheels and helmets samples prior to racing for testing and approval.

On the helmet sticker...
I went into a local superstore, went to the cycling section, and nicked one from one of the helmets on the shelf.... Ketchi?

Indeed... the wheel is tested as a whole

I would like to make one point about wheels - it's not just the rims - it's spokes, spoke count, hubs and rims that are tested and authorised.

If you were to take a DA hub and then slam a SRAM S60 on it with DT Swiss spokes It would not be an authorised wheel. They wheel is given approval as a whole unit not parts.

When does that truck roll in next? I take a superfit large, any color, even livestrong bully yellow, Nudge nudge, wink wink.

We only get Custom Team Issue ones with our names on them.

378045_10150440661698707_277760548706_8577879_1761122437_n.jpg

On the helmet sticker...
I went into a local superstore, went to the cycling section, and nicked one from one of the helmets on the shelf.... Ketchi?

My local LBS gave me my sticker.

Back
Top Bottom