What's new

Help Non-bike Post : Data SIM card

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Please forgive me for littering this fine cycling-focused forum with an un-aligned question, but my admiration for your fine tech-honed minds led me to ask this here....
I have a Cellular-enabled Win8 Tablet (link to device) I brought with me to Japan. I'd like to get it running on a local carrier
Any recommendations on where I can get data-sim for it?

Maybe this thread will help.

When I got my first unlocked Android phone from overseas, I simply transplanted the SIM from my Softbank feature phone and added SB's Smartphone data plan to the existing contract.

I just checked my data usage on the Android. My monthly data usage comes to 150-350 MB of data. That's with Google Maps on bike rides, Gmail for email, Facebook notifications (but few mobile uploads) and picture sync on the few pictures I take on the phone and not the Canon S95. Your usage may be different, but it gives you an idea what kind of plans may be suitable. If you're going to use it more at home or in the office with WiFi, you'll probably use less.

Jack and Joe, Many thanks for the help.
After the pointer at B-Mobile, I found their 1 month 1GB B-Mobile card on Amazon (they sell various timelines, speeds and data capacities) for 3900Y. I'll use that as a test, then probably swap to a 180day card which will be more in line with Joe's data usage suggestions and is about 12000Y.

Back
Top Bottom