What's new

non-bar front lighting

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
I think this was discussed here once, or at least mentioned, so my apologies for bringing it up again.

I'm interested in some front lighting, of the "see" and not the "see me" kind. On both bikes the bar space is limited, and I already have a smallish bar extension on my road bike. I already have a smaller front light usable on either, but am interested in doubling down, being able to add a second "see" light to complement the bar-mounted one usable on either. I guess I could just buy one big light and choose between the two, but am wondering if there are some other options.

I'm thinking something that could attach either to a stem or a fork, but when I browse wiggle, it all seems bar-mounted, and there are a gazillion choices for that. For something bar-mounted, up-down is really the only axis of adjustment that you need, but put those same lights on a stem or fork, and up-down becomes left-right, and there's (seemingly) nothing designed to be bar-mounted that also has some left-right adjustability (which would become up-down on a stem or fork).

Suggestions?

I recently put drops on my old MTB, this left me no space for my light, so I moved the mounting bracket to the stem.

I bought this CatEye light......

>> HL-EL520 <<

It is very bright, at 1800 candlepower.

stem_light_1.jpg

stem_light_2.jpg

stem_light_3.jpg

They use a mounting bracket that has some side to side, or if mounted on the stem like I did, up and down adjustment, but it was not enough for my bike. To solve this problem I cut one side of the retainer type clip that limits the up and down movement.....

stem_light_4.jpg

The green arrow shows where I cut the clip, then I could angle the light better, the read arrow shows were the screw is that you tighten to keep it all in place, so far so good.

They also make a >> HL-EL530 << which is rated at 2200 candlepower.

You can also get one of these....

>> Minoura Besso LH-50 Fork Mount << and put any old headlight you want on it.

one thing about having the light to see with closer to the road surface is that it tends to let you see all the bumps and potholes easier, but it is less visible by others on the road.

I hope this helps!

I'm totally sold on headlights, like the type for climbing Fuji. I have a small Energizer one I'm quite fond of. Uses one AA battery at a time, small enough to feel light and fit in my forehead under the helmet. Better for managing corners and checking ou if it's a bear in the bushes or your imagination.

The trade of with my particular model is that it's super bright for about an hour and then fades to acceptable but not great light. But, lasts longer with rechargables and when I'm cycling through the night I tend to stop once every two hours to refuel anyway. Changin the battery then and getting a fresh beam is super reviving. :D

I posted this on the other thread you mentioned, but I shall re-post in case you didn`t read it. I just remembered as I was in the LBS tonight and they had one in stock.

Minoura also make a thing called a swing grip which might be what you want. Just scroll down to lights and computer holder.

http://www.minourausa.com/english/accessory-e.html

I'm totally sold on headlights, like the type for climbing Fuji. I have a small Energizer one I'm quite fond of. Uses one AA battery at a time, small enough to feel light and fit in my forehead under the helmet. Better for managing corners and checking ou if it's a bear in the bushes or your imagination.

I`m put off by headlights/helmetcams as the last bad crash I had resulted in hitting the road with my forehead and what the result would have been if I had had something on or under the helmet when I hit the ground I don`t like to think about...

Back
Top Bottom