What's new

Help Noisy Trek Madone 3.1 - Help please

Phone Trek Japan and either get what you paid for or get your money back. Why would you not get what you paid for? Forget the LBS and go straight to the head.
Here is the on line contact form.
http://www.trekbikes.co.jp/inquiry/inquiry.cgi
Address it to Mr Yoshitaka Tamura. He is the boss.

Althogh Tim (GSASTUTO) is right there could be other issues as mentioned - the bike could have a bent hanger or even worse bent rear stay. I've seen it before on prebuilt bikes that are kept in mass storage.

Contact TREK directly and explain the issue - tell them that the LBS has done lots of work on it to try and sort the issue out without any luck. TREK HQ are very good and I know several TREK riders who have had new frames or bikes replaced.

Yeah - I think I mentioned that as well. I've seen loads of bent, crushed and otherwise deformed rear drops. You don't even want to see how they forklift these into the aircargo containers! (I have some vids or pics somewhere). One of our frames sent to Spore got literally speared from behind and rammed so hard it cracked the rear dropout nearly off. When I sent my bike to EU last year - safely (I thought) enclosed in The Dude's super SCIO case - the baggage handlers somehow got it caught in the wheelie ramp and then took the forklift to it, repeatedly bashing it until it, quite literally , broke free snapping off 2 of the casters. If you know the SCIO , you'll know this is no easy feat as they are bolted to a STEEL BOX FRAME.

Althogh Tim (GSASTUTO) is right there could be other issues as mentioned - the bike could have a bent hanger or even worse bent rear stay. I've seen it before on prebuilt bikes that are kept in mass storage.

Contact TREK directly and explain the issue - tell them that the LBS has done lots of work on it to try and sort the issue out without any luck. TREK HQ are very good and I know several TREK riders who have had new frames or bikes replaced.

I know you've got other offers on the table, but if you're in Tokyo I'd be down to take a look too - spent about 3 years as a volunteer mechanic. If I can make a Roadmaster shift like butter, I'm sure I can handle your 105's. I've got lube sitting around and don't mind sharing.

If you're not getting response from the shifters, something is sticking somewhere. If it's in the cables, they may be only dropping halfway back when you're shifting down, which would cause the clicking even though they are adjusted properly. Lubing the internals of the brake/shifters, cable housing, and all the moving points on the derailleurs would be a good place to start. Don't just spray it on, you'll need to work in in as well - shifting up and down repeatedly, as well as removing the housing from it's holders and sliding it up and down the cables is a good way to do this without taking out any screws. Tri-flow or another silicon based lubricant is best. Whatever you do, don't use WD40 - it's a cleaner, not a lubricant. (A lot of people make this mistake and ruin bikes)

After that, try adjust it again and you may have a little more luck. Best way is to hang the bike on something so you can pedal while adjusting to test. Shops have stands for this, but you can use a friend or anything you can hook your seat over.

Absolute silliness. A bike is really no more complicated than a butter knife. Gears don't 'slip'. Just bring it to my shop and I'll sort it in under 60s. If you are over 60yo then the work is free.
Thanks for all this info - where are you based?

I'm located in K-Town (Okubo) near Shinjuku. If we can't fix it, we'll burn it for BBQ!
Thanks for all this info - where are you based?

So I had a breakthrough today. Got back in touch with the LBS and insisted on the new bike option.
Should have a replacement to pick up in a fortnight - pre tested by the shop.
Will let you all know how it turns out.......
Many thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom