What's new

Nod of the head

tokyoscoop

Warming-Up
Apr 15, 2007
Do you give cyclists coming in the opposite a nod of the head as you pass them?

I've been thinking about this the last few times I've ridden along the Arakawa bike path. Sometimes as the approach they give me a little nod and it's always too late to follow-up. Then sometimes I give someone a nod and they ignore me or look at me like I'm crazy!

Am I the only one!! What about others?

90% of riders on the Edogawa will give you a nod. Mostly road bike to road bike. Other bikers don't do it as much.
The keirin riders don't like saying hello either...

I always do that to anyone on a roadbike!

We are brothers of the road baby!:D

nod....

I gave a nod to a police officer on a corner on Saturday. By the time I realized that he was actually saying in English (and waving), "please stop," I had already nodded thinking he was being friendly and road on by. Last thing I heard was the sharp intake of breath through teeth. Whoops. Guess if it was important they would have chased me down. This was somewhere around the Tokyo Tower area.

Have no idea why he wanted me to stop. Could have been because I popped out of a very small tunnel that was marked cars only, or for rolling past stopped cars at a red light, not sure.

Oh well....my nod was quite polite though.

Jason

P.S.

Would you road-bikers nod to someone on a cross-bike??

I always do that to anyone on a roadbike!

We are brothers of the road baby!:D

I often get the impression that some of the chaps on serious bikes with fancy gear distinguish a bit by bike quality.

got a nod today while riding around Lake Teganuma from another Road Biker.

Good evening for a ride! I want to go again tomorrow!

Interesting. When I pass by bikers or walkers in the Arakawa or Tamagawa areas, I would just say,"Konnichiwa" depending on how person looks. When I pass by the bikers who are going the same direction, I will sometime ride side by side and chit chat a bit depending on the traffic conditions. People usually like it.

Oh, by the way, when \I ride around the Imperial palace, I say "Konbanwa" or "Ohayo Gozaimasu" to police officers at a couple of small police boxes (koban) there. They seem to like it. They say hi to me, too. The problem is though, I circle around 5 - 6 times every night or morning. Should I say hi to them everytime I come back? That will be every 12 minutes!! Or should I come up with different thing to say for each time?

hiro

Do you give cyclists coming in the opposite a nod of the head as you pass them?

I've been thinking about this the last few times I've ridden along the Arakawa bike path. Sometimes as the approach they give me a little nod and it's always too late to follow-up. Then sometimes I give someone a nod and they ignore me or look at me like I'm crazy!

Am I the only one!! What about others?

Back
Top Bottom