What's new

Official Ride "No Way I'll Do that Again!" -- Tokyo Itoigawa Fast Run

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Last year, as usual, plenty of participants from TCC declared they would never again do the Tokyo Itoigawa Fast Run Classic. The same story every year. Then time has healed any saddle sores and people who swore they would not ride again have repeated the challenge.

I got a mailing yesterday announcing this year's event. It will be held May 25.

Team applications (and entry fee) are due March 23.

The course is essentially the same as last year -- starting in Yamanashi, east of Kofu, and going via Suwa, Matsumoto, Nagano, Naoetsu, and west along the Japan sea coast to Itoigawa. 304 kms.

This year they will NOT record the order of finishers ... so even less of a race than in the past.

Any team that offers volunteers to help is assured an entry. Otherwise, lottery in case of oversubscription.

I am not sure my schedule will allow me to go ... so I do not plan to organize a team for TCC. But if someone else DOES organizes a TCC team, I will at least sign up and do my best to join.

Do you know why they won't record the finishers? Is it because they too close to the evil 'race' word? We got our entry as well and the organizer said that if you volunteer it will guarantee up to 20 entrants in your name! The field is maxed at 300, btw, and it will be a lottery for everyone (except the volunteer guarantees) At least that's what I understood - and could be well mistaken.

Entry fee (donation) is 20,000 yen including hotel or 13,000 without . 1000 yen for the dinner at the end.

Last year, as usual, plenty of participants from TCC declared they would never again do the Tokyo Itoigawa Fast Run Classic. The same story every year. Then time has healed any saddle sores and people who swore they would not ride again have repeated the challenge.

I got a mailing yesterday announcing this year's event. It will be held May 25.

Team applications (and entry fee) are due March 23.

The course is essentially the same as last year -- starting in Yamanashi, east of Kofu, and going via Suwa, Matsumoto, Nagano, Naoetsu, and west along the Japan sea coast to Itoigawa. 304 kms.

This year they will NOT record the order of finishers ... so even less of a race than in the past.

Any team that offers volunteers to help is assured an entry. Otherwise, lottery in case of oversubscription.

I am not sure my schedule will allow me to go ... so I do not plan to organize a team for TCC. But if someone else DOES organizes a TCC team, I will at least sign up and do my best to join.

I've received the invitation as well and just like you said, the sentiment has changed from never again to should I. I expected to be tempted for the same reason we like to ride bikes, going the distance, testing the boundaries of stamina. Even though you've done it before, the question becomes, can I do it better this year?

I expected this to happen, so have already planned an epic three day tour on on what I thought would be the toito weekend. With the changed date, I could do a doubleheader, that would have me do 800k over two weekends. Anybody with an understanding of training science: Can that much hurt in short time be healthy or beneficial to my fitness level?

If they list the finishers in order then its considered a race by both the insurance company and prefecture governments. The event has been skating close to the edge for many years and I think its increase in popularity has put it well and truly on the radar.

Makes sense. How can you say it is not a race if you list order and give certificates on that basis.

Japan Audax events (Brevets) list each rider's time ... but not finishing order. You can buy a little medal for finishing, but you do not get anything saying you were 6th out of 60. You need to go through the list to figure that out. ...

I enjoyed the event last year, and at the end, I too claimed I would not do it again. Towards the end of last season however, I was actually starting to look forward to it.

Unfortunately a herniated lumbar disk has kept me off the bike since the beginning of the year. I have for given up on any serious training for now, likely not until the end of summer.

I recommend the event to anyone looking for a good challenge of pushing the body hard, while enjoying some spectacular scenery. I did not stay over in the hotel after the race last year, but would recommend to do that if you join.

TOITO5.jpg

After reading reports from last year's event I was all set to register for this the run this year but now I'm not so sure. I not sure I'd be able to finish within the time limit if I do the ride fixed. I've got a geared bike in the works but don't know when that will be ready or if I'll have time to get used to it before the event. It also looks like there might be too much drama surrounding the event organization for it to be any fun.

I'll be keeping an eye on the preparations and if it looks like it will be a fun event this year I'll try and register or find a team with an open spot.

Anybody with an understanding of training science: Can that much hurt in short time be healthy or beneficial to my fitness level?

The only answer anyone can give you (without even the slightest attempt at flippancy) is:- `it depends`

on...what you do before, what you do during, what you do after.

With the changed date, I could do a doubleheader, that would have me do 800k over two weekends. Anybody with an understanding of training science: Can that much hurt in short time be healthy or beneficial to my fitness level?

You'll have a week to recover in between, that's not too bad. At least it's not a back-to-back event, where you go far one day and then again the next day.

Last year I considered Toito, but then found the BRM519 Fuji NishiTokyo brevet was on the same day and signed up for that instead (primarily because it started and ended only half an hour by train from my home, but also because I love Mt Fuji).

This year I was expecting them to fall on the same date again (5/18-19 for the brevet), but they're a week apart. So theoretically I could also go for Toito a week after the Fuji 300 km for which I'm already signed up, but I think one 300 km a day event is enough insanity for me for one month :) I'll do two 200 km training rides before that: a brevet on 3/9 and another on 4/13.

We've registered into this event. It is great scenery, good training and alot of fun. @Patrick, you could do this fixed for sure. Aside from a couple of moderate climbs, everything is less than 3 or 4% grade.

Was planning on doing it but assumed it was a week earlier as my wifebisbdue on the 27th......roll on 2014.....

I definitely want to join you guys and go for it again this year (under 10 hours).

It is do-able on a single-speed because the climbs are long but not steep ...but I'd recommend a freewheel so you can tuck in and relax on the endless downhills.

Fellow Masochists,

I've been planning on doing this since Christmas. I've reflected a lot since last years ride, and would also like to break the 10hr barrier. Two questions...

Mike will you stick with the TCC entry or will you join someone else's group?

GSAstuto, is there an option to jump on your entry?

Sorry in advance for the questions. Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming.

Cheers,

Pete

Fellow Masochists,
I've been planning on doing this since Christmas. I've reflected a lot since last years ride, and would also like to break the 10hr barrier. Two questions...

Mike will you stick with the TCC entry or will you join someone else's group?

GSAstuto, is there an option to jump on your entry?
Sorry in advance for the questions. Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming.
Cheers,
Pete

Yes, I would like to stick with the TCC entry. I'm racing this season again as the NEILPRYDE team-of-one (focused on triathlons). It was nice last year to do a race, ...err I should say "fast ride", with TCC. That was my first attempt and I made some mistakes. http://app.strava.com/activities/9149108#

For this year's very "fast ride", I'm considering using my new TT bike that climbs well (but fit it with drop handlebars) rather than my Alize that has over 40,000km on it. I'll be coming off of the 600km Tour of Friendship stage race earlier in the month so my conditioning should be very good.

Let's hope we can start together this year then Mikey!!!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I really hope to Andy! My diabolical plan last year was to "accidentally" miss my start time so they'd put me with you and Tom. I got there too late, ended up in the final group (2 slower guys and me) and rode 98% of the distance solo ...but still loved it!

Members of a team can start at different times, that shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom