What's new

No Swimming?

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Ok, first off, I'm a softie!

On the weekend I joined the fellas on a long mountain ride in the heat. All the way I was thinking about swimming, then when I started to see the rivers I became more excited about the concept, after about 115km on the clock we did a climb that took us up and away fromt he river down below. That was the end for me. I decided that this was no longer fun. I said my goodbyes and turned back for the river, found a nice big deep green pool and floated around for 30 minutes. After that I got back on the bike and headed down the hill to Chichibu. Once again enjoying the riding.

I never see or hear of any mention of anyone going swimming on these mountain rides. I can't imagine any reason, on any trip, in that temperature that an average person wouldn't take the opportunity to take a dip in one of the cool swirling mountain river pools?

Please enlighten me as to why? I know on my next trip to the mountains I will be including a few stops to cool down and float around a bit, maybe that means I will be riding half the ride solo?? It's not like these rides are that time critical.

Maybe I am missing something? Please enlighten me!

I agree that a swim is great halfway through a long ride when the temperature is in the mid-30s, but have only swam in the sea, even when the beach is "closed", during trips so far in japan. Where are good places in the mountains to the west of Tokyo? It seems you can't really swim in places like lake Okutama and Sagami.

Careful where you leave your bike though several people I know have lost bikes while swimming in the pools.

As for me if I wanted a swim I go swimming, if I want to ride I go ride.

However one todays ride with Mike up both sides of Yabitsu we talked about bringing trunks and swimming in the river after the main work load of the ride was done and using the swim as a recovery before spinning home.

Careful where you leave your bike though several people I know have lost bikes while swimming in the pools.

As for me if I wanted a swim I go swimming, if I want to ride I go ride.

I hid my bike in the bushes and took the garmin with me, and jumped in in my bib, it was wet anyway from the 5 litres of sweat that I lost.

I wouldn't leave my bike anywhere, I am not sure I would be so keen in the ocean, But those small rivers just look so nice with their green pools and bubbling rapids.

I've been meaning to hop into a nice, cool river for years, but I always seem to be too wrapped up in my riding to actually do it. To make it happen, I think I'll need to adopt a chilled-out mind-set from the beginning, and shed my go-go attitude. In fact, I've been thinking about doing a "picnic" ride, where the objective is to ride out to some glorious spot in the countryside -- cool, quiet, verdant, preferably near a stream -- and snack, snooze, read, swim, etc. It would be a welcome change from the usual bust-a-gut style.

This might be a fun TCC event. Maybe there could even be a support van nearby in case some of us indulge in a little extra wine or beer!

Anyone know any secret gardens?

As James said it definitely crossed our minds today as we rode along the river that follows Yabitsu pass. The problem is if I started doing that I'd probably never stop! My main objective of every ride now is to get back home before the sweltering heat of midday sets in and I fear taking a dip would ruin my well layed plans:p

Also, be careful of getting saddle sores riding in wet bib shorts. I know it probably seems as if they are soaked with sweat anyway, but last week on a Nagano tour I got drenched and rode wet for 6 hours, OUCH! Sweaty bib shorts and water drenched ones are quite different! I highly recommend taking some light bathers in your back pocket, and I mean who wants to be seen swimming in a pair of gay lord bib shorts anyway, certainly not ME. We need to project an air of coolness to our sport, especially if there are any ladies paddling around:p

You sure wanna swim in there?:p

life-features_01_temp-1314014045-4e52435d-620x348.jpg

I highly recommend taking some light bathers in your back pocket, and I mean who wants to be seen swimming in a pair of gay lord bib shorts anyway, certainly not ME. We need to project an air of coolness to our sport, especially if there are any ladies paddling around:p

And you think light bathers and shaved legs are going to do that??? :warau::warau::warau:

I'm not talking about budgie smugglers mate! Dunno about you but this is how I look in swimming trunks, and the ladies drool:p

6a00d8341c504353ef0120a8eccfe8970b-800wi.jpg

River water may be delicious, but the only natural water that's safe to drink is spring water. Any decaying biomass is a breeding ground for bacteria and there is plenty of that around rivers. That's why I only ever fill up my water bottles from taps or from springs, but of course you could be lucky.

I'm not talking about budgie smugglers mate! Dunno about you but this is how I look in swimming trunks, and the ladies drool:p

6a00d8341c504353ef0120a8eccfe8970b-800wi.jpg

That looks like someone has taken a photo of me, got it processed in Boots, then blown up the negatives.

I like to think of myself as 'Vampire Chic'.

River water may be delicious, but the only natural water that's safe to drink is spring water. Any decaying biomass is a breeding ground for bacteria and there is plenty of that around rivers. That's why I only ever fill up my water bottles from taps or from springs, but of course you could be lucky.

Don't kill the vibe; serious intestinal disorders are fine, as long as you look good. Swallowing that tapeworm lost me 15kgs, for example, and I am fine...

I finally got the scoop on this whole 'no swimming' thing.

1) Almost every enclosed body of water is owned by a 'Fishing Association'
2) They pay off the Land Ministry for the fishing and rec rights to the body of water - in total.
3) Therefore ANY use of the body of water must be in accordance to the various recreational concessions they run (like the idiotic Swan Boats, etc)

Swim in the water and lose a pinky, basically.

However ! RIVERS ARE FREE. Surprise! Unlike the coastal waters and lakes, ricers are mostly preserved for public use. So - go ahead and swim in the river, but touch a lake shore without paying the yak concessions and it's cement blocks to the ankle times!

Same reason why Japan has pathetically low number of coastal 'cruising'.

And you think light bathers and shaved legs are going to do that??? :warau::warau::warau:

I'll admit that I am a swimmer, especially in the month of August. I've found many good swimming holes. Just listen for the kids screaming with joy, the drunk young adults, or follow the smell of grilled wieners. They don't seem to mind a sweaty cyclist jumping in. I just go in with the bib shorts and have not had any problems down south as a result.

I was filling up my water bottle!
I took my shoes off before climbing over the rocks though, and the water was blissful on my feet.
BTW, river water is delicious (even if fish do fu@k in it)!
Fish and water birds use rivers as a toilet....Me Too:eek:

2) They pay off the Land Ministry for the fishing and rec rights to the body of water - in total.
3) Therefore ANY use of the body of water must be in accordance to the various recreational concessions they run (like the idiotic Swan Boats, etc)

However ! RIVERS ARE FREE. Surprise! Unlike the coastal waters and lakes, ricers are mostly preserved for public use. So - go ahead and swim in the river, but touch a lake shore without paying the yak concessions and it's cement blocks to the ankle times!

Fuoiuouk it.

I am up for a swim

That's OK!

Fish and water birds use rivers as a toilet....Me Too:eek:

I checked for wild Keiths upstream - Couldn't see any, so I figured it would be OK.
And while we're on the subject, people have been drinking fresh river water for a LOT longer than they have "treated water" - a good 15,000 ~ 20,000 years longer, so I'll take my chances.
Nearly all tap water has had fluorine added since about the 1940s~50s in most industrial nations (supposedly as a way to prevent tooth decay - but I don't see many dentists going out of business), and it is SOOOOO nice to have unfluoridated water for a change.

Where did you hear that nonsense?

Lakes and river banks are owned by the property owners who's lands edge the water ways. I know this as my wifes family owns land that boarders a large lake and also has a river flowing through it.

Back
Top Bottom