Nikko-Konsei toge and Konroku toge

I hesitate to post this type of sight seeing tour these days but would really want to introduce this magnificent course for those who love autumn color in the mountains.

We started from Tobu Nikko st(東武日光駅) and headed west to Chuzenji ko(中禅寺湖) via Iroha saka(いろは坂). The high land ares around Chuzenji ko is already colored. Parcitularly Odasirogahara(小田代ケ原)is secluded and preserved for trekkers.
Climb up to Konsei toge(金精峠) then down hill to Katashina(片品) village. From Katashina village to Konroku toge(坤六峠) is 20Km climb. The last feature of the day is Teruha kyo(照葉峡) which is famous for the autumn scenery. The route along Teruha kyo is one of the best courses I have experienced for the last 10 years. What is good is 1)road surface is no rough, 2)gradient is gentle enough so that you can cruse 40kph without brake, 3)curve is not sharp so that you will not get surprised with a car from other direction, and finally its scenic beauty along the road.

Total distance from Tobu nikko st. to Minakami st. is approx.130Km.

The color will last another couple of weeks. Do not miss this Japanese beauty.
You can see some photos in my blog.
http://araim1.main.jp/wordpress/?p=1706
The course and profile is here.
http://latlonglab.yahoo.co.jp/route/watch?id=616371908fc9317037362e761b32c53b

Minoru Arai

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
Yes, this is a great route. Sounds like the landslide has been cleared so the road over Konroku Toge is again open. This is also the road the Tour de Hotaka will take. I've done it once in opposite direction, after a race at the Gunma race course which is not too far from Minakami. Ended up climbing the 1,000m to Konsei Toge in pouring rain!

How was the traffic up to the lake, out of Nikko? Must be a very busy road on weekends and holidays.

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
Thanks for the introduction of another great route, Arai-san!
I might not join Hotaka this year, but will be keeping this route as a possible touring destination - the pictures are superb.

Yes, this is a great route. Sounds like the landslide has been cleared so the road over Konroku Toge is again open. This is also the road the Tour de Hotaka will take. I've done it once in opposite direction, after a race at the Gunma race course which is not too far from Minakami. Ended up climbing the 1,000m to Konsei Toge in pouring rain!

How was the traffic up to the lake, out of Nikko? Must be a very busy road on weekends and holidays.
Oh, I did no know Konroku is a part of Hotaka race. They must climb down so fast. I guess climbing in opposite direction must be tougher.
Yes, trafic towards the lake was busy but did not bother us cyclists. I would not drive at all. But it was ok beyond the lake.

Thanks for the introduction of another great route, Arai-san!
I might not join Hotaka this year, but will be keeping this route as a possible touring destination - the pictures are superb.
The mountain color will last another couple of weeks. Hope you can enjoy the beauty. Or I was told this area is also good in May with the new green.