Race niigata prefectural road race championship

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
The question I have is why did you attack so much? Did you think you could get away? There must have been a point when you realized it wasn't going to happen nd then wouldn't it have been better to sit in the group and wait and have a big go on the last lap?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
The question I have is why did you attack so much? Did you think you could get away? There must have been a point when you realized it wasn't going to happen nd then wouldn't it have been better to sit in the group and wait and have a big go on the last lap?
Cheers, yes for sure I thought I could get away. On paper there were 20 guys I knew that would beat me in a 10% goal sprint. So I wanted to avoid that.

In hindsight, perhaps I did too much early doors. But the longer you leave it, the more difficult it is to make a break. I'd say impossible in the last 3 laps.

The attack I did with 5 laps to go made the race. I went with one guy. 2 more bridged and then 4 more. So 8 riders off the front. Of those left behind only 6 more made the time cut (14 finishers) 60 more were eliminated.

So yeah, I think the strategy was good. The wind made it difficult. But no regrets.

But at the end of the day I only race once a month so I want to race aggressively and enjoy the thrill.

For reference here are the write ups from hill climb maestro Tazaki san who came in 2nd:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/alavasky/e/09239ab935ddf8aa5885ea983c2bebc8

Pro rider Nara san (3rd) who brought 4 riders to us in the decisive move:

http://naranikki2.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/05/28/000000

And strong man Mineki san (5th)

http://ftracing.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-138.html?sp

who I gave a cuddle in the rain on the start line for the promise of some help escaping....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Cool! Anyway well done!!

edit: I hope you didn't think my previous email was some kind of criticism. I didn't mean it like that, I was genuinely interested in what your tactics were, as I saw the video of the finish and 6th was only 20m behind 1st and it seemed there were only 2 guys capable of a sprint at that point!
Anyway as always my hat is tipping in your direction for the prep you do and your commitment to being the best you can for these races!

Last edited:

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Cool! Anyway well done!!

edit: I hope you didn't think my previous email was some kind of criticism. I didn't mean it like that, I was genuinely interested in what your tactics were, as I saw the video of the finish and 6th was only 20m behind 1st and it seemed there were only 2 guys capable of a sprint at that point!
Anyway as always my hat is tipping in your direction for the prep you do and your commitment to being the best you can for these races!
No, I didn't think it was a criticism. And even if it was, it would be water off a duck's back compared to what I get off the missus for my cycling obsession!

BTW, I was 6th and much further back than 20 m!

Yes the top two were Ikeda and Tazaki san. I ride with them regularly.

Tazaki san is the Fuji Hillclimb champion and one of the best climbers in Japan. Ikeda san is a great road racer and will compete in the Japan nationals next month. Between them, they have one this race for several years.

Tazaki san was more active this time, which is maybe why Ikeda san had the edge in the sprint.

I actually ride for both their teams on occasion and train with Ikeda san's team every weekend.

That was my dilemma. If I wore their jersey, I'd have to play the role of assistant.

I've done that before which is fun in itself. But I wanted to have a go. Which is why I decided to ride in my local team jersey and to choose the strategy that I did...

But yes, comments, even criticism, are always welcome. At 42 years old, it's still a work in progress!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time