What's new

Night-Rider.

onm

Sep 2, 2009
I have been riding at night pretty much ever since I started riding properly, at the age of 13. Feels lovely; mysterious, creepy, fast and dangerous, just how I like it.

Anyone else riding at night, and more importantly, anyone up for some night time sessions?

I don't usually ride the major roads at night (although I wonder if they would actually be safer due to how well lit they are?), and prefer taking myself across pitch-black rice fields in the dead of night.

I haven't yet attempted any proper climbs / descents in the dark, but would be up for it, if I had a co-pilot or two.

Anyone else riding at night a lot?

Once it gets stupid hot and humid here, I can see night riding as being a great idea, but with the low lighting on the streets around here, you really have to have good lights to see, as the street lights are mostly out in places. You also want to be well lit, so the cagers can see you.

Back in Canada we used to go out at night all the time, back then I put some serious cash into a bright light set up called "Midnight Sun" it was great for the day! We rode MTBs on the trails through the UBC endowment lands, during the day there were too many hikers/joggers, at night we had the trails to ourselves, used to LOVE doing those rides!

I'm kind of far away to join you, and I often work at night, so I don't get out much, but I can heartily recommend night riding, I think it is great!

Was that set of light not called 'Night-Sun', or 'Nite-Sun'?

So yeah, any paceline crew looking to night riding it, let me know. I am always up for car-drafting, so if there are any other nutters out there into that, again, let me know.

Only off road mate.

Only off road mate.

NOW we are talking.

Is there anything better than watching your mate on his Manitou BEAST of an Alu bike, hammer it into a serious single-track downhill, in Hertfordshire, while you follow on your Santa Cruz Heckler, XTR, Bomber Z1, in 1997, pulling off a 600m manual, with lights blazing, then turning said manual into a sit-down pedalling wheely, as you both slow down at the bottom to hand-touch out of pure respect for the radness?

Once my build is done I will host some off rode night rides in my neighborhood. I have some good single track waiting to be played on.

I had a set of the night lights as well. Two bright bulbs that had the battery in a water bottle right? I got mine from MEC, but the wiring burnt through after about a year or two of use :(

Very very up for that mate!

Send me a PM with your location, and we can work it out.

Was that set of light not called 'Night-Sun', or 'Nite-Sun'?

So yeah, any paceline crew looking to night riding it, let me know. I am always up for car-drafting, so if there are any other nutters out there into that, again, let me know.

You are correct, they were Night Sun.

BCBorn said:
I had a set of the night lights as well. Two bright bulbs that had the battery in a water bottle right? I got mine from MEC, but the wiring burnt through after about a year or two of use

Yep, I got mine from MEC too, with the water bottle battery pack. Mine lasted a long time, and while I bent a few things on it with crashes I never busted anything. I had one spot beam and one flood beam, worked great! :D

NOW we are talking.

Is there anything better than watching your mate on his Manitou BEAST of an Alu bike, hammer it into a serious single-track downhill, in Hertfordshire, while you follow on your Santa Cruz Heckler, XTR, Bomber Z1, in 1997, pulling off a 600m manual, with lights blazing, then turning said manual into a sit-down pedalling wheely, as you both slow down at the bottom to hand-touch out of pure respect for the radness?

Or watching you mate totally vanish as you pull massive aerials over the sand traps at Hillbarn Golf Course on the way down from Cissbury Ring and not know if he had landed it or not as you launch off the lip in to oblivion. That was serious fun.... not being able to see the landing zones and the fact that the golf course was on the side of a hill made you feel that you were just free falling.

Or bombing down the fire road to the A24 again from Cissbury Ring praying to god that the gate at the bottom is either open or everyone else can ride the brakes as well as you.

Good memories of a misspent (Well spent) youth

Spell checked for the English teachers of the site.

Lovely stuff!

Did you ever get over to Aylesbury / Potten End? Some absolutely brilliant jumps there. Naturally occuring giant holes in the ground that had near vertical fly-outs (fully vert once we dug them:p).

Ahhhh.

Lovely stuff!

Did you ever get over to Aylesbury / Potten End? Some absolutely brilliant jumps there. Naturally occuring giant holes in the ground that had near vertical fly-outs (fully vert once we dug them:p).

Ahhhh.

ooh. Potten End ... I never cycled there, but I spent many a day getting lost in the woods with my pooch when I lived in Berkhamstead.

You used to live in Berko?????

I lived in Felden / Boxmoor!

Wow, what a small world.

My father still runs a business in Berko, and lives just round the corner in Water End.

Would love to meet for a ride sometime, as we are both from the same neck of the woods.

I ride a lot at night, unfortunately. I bike a lot to and from work, so I'm usually coming home at 9pm or so. So I've got the bar-end lights, the 5-LED rear light, wheel reflectors, and the super-bright Cateye headlight. White jerseys, and I had a yellow fiber flare, but the rain killed my second one, so I'm looking at maybe ordering one of these...

http://www.bikeregistry.com/estore/...d=167&osCsid=23b82d080f35e8d0a4cef17b71337156

It's nice when there are less cars, but taxis are huge jerks.

Stick it in the middle of the road, ride like you mean business, and keep a pace slightly faster than the traffic, with sharp breaking every now and then.

This gives the impression of a true beast on a bike, and will make them pay attention.

I ride a lot at night, unfortunately. I bike a lot to and from work, so I'm usually coming home at 9pm or so. So I've got the bar-end lights, the 5-LED rear light, wheel reflectors, and the super-bright Cateye headlight. White jerseys, and I had a yellow fiber flare, but the rain killed my second one, so I'm looking at maybe ordering one of these...

http://www.bikeregistry.com/estore/...d=167&osCsid=23b82d080f35e8d0a4cef17b71337156

It's nice when there are less cars, but taxis are huge jerks.

See also:
http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/bike-wrapper-pre-view/

Back
Top Bottom