What's new

Nichitsu Ghost Town - Saturday, May12th

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
So this is the third attempt at what should be an epic ride. The first two attempts were postponed due to uncooperative weather.

Saturday we'll be riding up the Arakawa, up over the Green Line via Shiraishi-toge, descending down into Chichibu where we'll meet Bart and grab some food. From there we'll be heading out the southwest side of Chichibu climbing up to the abandoned mining town, Nichitsu. Nichitsu at an altitude of a little over 1000m was mostly abandoned in 1978 with the last few stragglers leaving in the early to mid 80's. See HERE for a 10 minute video about the ghost town, and HERE for Tom's ride report from a previous trip there. From Nichitsu we'll climb another 200m before eventually descending back down to #299. Once reaching #299 we'll continue with a long descent back to Chichibu to Seibu-Chichibu Station where we'll hop a train back to Tokyo.

This is a reasonably hefty ride with minimal bailout points and not so many stops, so pacing yourself will be important. All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT). There'll be plenty of climbing, descending, greenery, countless miles of beautiful rindos, and an eerie ghost town to really make it special! If you are capable and interested please, join us!

INFO:
Meet Time: 6:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 2500-2800m
Distance: 170-175km
Route: HERE

This should be a pretty amazing ride with some stuff you definitely don't see every day!! Hopefully the third time is the charm and the weather will work with us on this one, and I hope to see you Saturday morning!

Additionally, for anyone coming from farther south that is interested in joining us, a good and simple route from Oume is located HERE. This will take you to the Chichibu Mecca Plaza where we are meeting Bart at about 11am.

Oh, and I had just found my Ghost Busters t-shirt and 'batteries sold separately' Spirit Mixer for this one. But I have to work on Saturday. :-/

Have a good one, it will be another epic.

Dave

I see the weather forecast has just changed, It is now swirling mist, strange vortexes and occasional lighting with echoey laughter.

I may join for the first (safe) part and make my way to Hanno as per last week.

But will confirm later.

I see the weather forecast has just changed, It is now swirling mist, strange vortexes and occasional lighting with echoey laughter.

But will confirm later.

Cheers Anthony!

Hi Pete.
I have just made a map of the route with the least km travelled on R140 possible. It's just in case I won't be able to join. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

The return leg follows R299 all the way to Chichibu because it is the easiest and the least hilly option, however it can be changed between Ogano town and Chichibu depending on how everybody feels.
Looking forward to the weekend.
Let's hope the weather is good.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1158846

Bart

Hi Pete.
I have just made a map of the route with the least km travelled on R140 possible. It's just in case I won't be able to join. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

The return leg follows R299 all the way to Chichibu because it is the easiest and the least hilly option, however it can be changed between Ogano town and Chichibu depending on how everybody feels.
Looking forward to the weekend.
Let's hope the weather is good.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1158846

Bart

Looks good, Bart, thank you! And yes, let's hope the weather is favorable this time! :D

If the headset I ordered from Positivo on Monday gets in and installed by Friday night, I would like to join. Have a feeling it is not going to be in in time, but fingers are crossed. Need to work on Sunday.

Tempted Pete, tempted... but so close to TOITO (the following weekend) I'm still debating if I should be doing one of your increasingly sadistic rides :D

Might ride from Oume, or even (gulp) get a train to Chichibu and join you there...

If I can make, it I'd like to do the Oume route if I don't have to do it on my own. Anyone else interested in riding up the Tama River to Oume and then over to Chichibu?

OK I am in but I will scoot out at the top of Shirashi Toge and make my way down the green line to Hanno. Should be there by about 1pm. Perfect for any people needing to get back to weekend business early.

Thanks for the route Pete!

Pete, I won't be able to make this one due to other obligations.:( I hope to make the next one.

I'm intrigued. Third time the charm?

We've had bad weather the previous two attempts, hopefully will have good weather on this one!

Takaaki, Anthony, Jonathan looking forward to seeing you Saturday. John and Steve, it would be great to have you along if you can make it. Kevin, catch you on the next one, mate!

Hi Pete and everyone,
See you at Family M.:)

Takaaki

Aaaah Takaaki.... In preperation I have been feeding fire into my legs all to be released on Shirashi Toge. You will not escape me up that hill this time. BU HA HA HA HA HA!!!! :warau::warau:

I may do this with you , Anthony - I need to be back home before 3pm (preferably) . Maybe I should run the DASH Wheels (750gr) for this one... hmmm

But will confirm later.

Pete,

I wish I could make it for the ghost town trip Saturday, but have a family commitment mid-morning that takes me out of the action. I hope there will be another trip there and hope to make one of your other rides in the coming weeks.

Have fun on the ride guys!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom