What's new

Newbie's questions~

Kevinchows

Speeding Up
Sep 24, 2011
Newbie's questions~ 25 km ride within 45 minutes

Hello everyone,
I have been visiting this forum for a while now but this is my first post:eek:, I got some questions for all the experts in here:cool: that mean you. I did some research and want to buy a new road bike- a ful carbon frame within my budget(less than ¥100000). I find this bike on wiggle.

I am very new to road bike, but I am planning to use this bike to commute to work from Musashi-urawa to Shibuya (~25km). Here is my question:

1. Is this a good road bike for beginner? Is it too expensive?
2. Can a normal person finish this route within 45 minute or an hour?
3. Any road bike or local bike shop recommandation?

I was wondering about that bike too. I couldn't find any reviews anywhere online and there aren't any on Wiggle either. All of the other bikes in the Rhigos line use SRAM, so they can't be compared easily.

It looks like the main difference between that and the Focus Cayo line is that that particular bike has new 105 parts? And the angles look a little more relaxed.

I don't know about 1 or 3, but for 2... it really depends on how clean of a route you can find, I think. If pedestrians and traffic lights are always in your way, you won't be able to maintain a good average speed.

Kevinchows.

You are in Musashi Urawa; that is very close to me! I am near Omiya. We should meet up soon, and I can talk all this through with you, especially the part about you using Wiggle.

Riding from Musashi Urawa to Shibuya in 45 mins is pushing it a bit, unless you are in good form, and the lights / traffic is in your favour, and you don't mind arriving like a mega-sweaty mess.

I know all the routes from where you live into Tokyo, so if you need specifics, let me know and I can help.

Cheers.

Owen

Well, as I remember correctly this bike just come out less than two months, maybe many people like us just waiting for a review or a comment before they try it themselves. Maybe I have to be the first one to try it~~

That bike looks like an amazing deal. It does seem a little upright, but for someone new to a road bike and using it mainly for commuting, I think it would work. Could be more deals before year end, but it seems like great value for money!

To be honest, I would go for this...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-road-team/

over the Verenti, any day of the week.

I have now ridden a Boardman bike and it was really good. Better than the Verenti I rode. Boardman is now the official bike of the United Healthcare team, so you can rest assured that it's image is validated by the pros.

That would be an average of 33 km/h, which is a challenging average on the open road, and pretty much impossible on the congested, traffic-light strewn streets of Tokyo.
To give you an idea, my commute is 18km; on a main road. Riding time is about 35 minutes but total time is close to 50 minutes due to all the traffice lights. And that is going at a pretty high pace.

I see, so that should take me between 1 hr to 1.5 hr.This is the route I am planning to use, the first 1/3 of the route will be next to a train rail so there should be minimum trafic light and people :bike: weeeeeeee but after that I have to go into either an open road or a neighborhood street:eek:uch:.

Open road (many trafic light) vs. Neighborhood street (Many intersection and people) which one will be safer and which one will be faster?

To be honest, I would go for this...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-road-team/

over the Verenti, any day of the week.

I have now ridden a Boardman bike and it was really good. Better than the Verenti I rode. Boardman is now the official bike of the United Healthcare team, so you can rest assured that it's image is validated by the pros.

Sorry to hijack, but what do you think about that Boardman Road Team compared to the Focus Cayo 105 Triple? Lots of hills around here, which is why I'm considering the Triple...

Boardman no longer available on Wiggle

Boardman bikes are not on Wiggle anymore, I assume because they are sold exclusively here by Halfords who are mainly a car parts/accessories shop. I have to say they look very nice though. My personal opinion is that I dont like the Verenti. From the photo there appears to be a slight curve in the down tube which I dont like. Re the triple, all these bikes come with a compact chainset which this gives you a 34 inner. That should be low enough.

If you set the destination as Japan, they're for sale. Wiggle seems to limit stock based on region; for example, Felt F85s are for sale if you look at the UK page, but not the Japan page. I'm guessing that's because they don't have a license to distribute those in Japan.

The Boardman Road Team is available browsing from Japan.

I'm on the ropes now about whether to go for the Focus Cayo Ltd or the Boardman Road Team...

If you set the destination as Japan, they're for sale. Wiggle seems to limit stock based on region; for example, Felt F85s are for sale if you look at the UK page, but not the Japan page. I'm guessing that's because they don't have a license to distribute those in Japan.

The Boardman Road Team is available browsing from Japan.

I'm on the ropes now about whether to go for the Focus Cayo Ltd or the Boardman Road Team...

The reason is that Boardman started through an exclusive distribution deal with Halfords. For this year, Boardman have branched into overseas sales, but for whatever reason, decided to stay exclusive to Halfords in the UK. Hence, Wiggle are only allowed to sell them overseas - you have to go via Halfords if you want one in the UK. And of course, they`re cheaper than UK residents can buy them for.

Yeah, definitely cheaper since they're 20% off for us! No VAT!

Comparing the Boardman Road Team and Focus Cayo Ltd, these are the differences I can see:

1. The Boardman is a pound or two lighter.
2. The Boardman is alloy, Cayo is carbon.
3. The Boardman has Mavic wheels, Cayo has... something.
4. The Boardman has Tektro brakes, Cayo has FSA Gossamer.

I'm pretty divided here as a newbie. The Boardman seems to be the way to go, but the Cayo has a carbon frame? I've always heard that it's important to get a solid frame since you can pretty much change everything else over time. The Boardman certainly seems to win in wheels, brakes, and weight, for only 70 bucks more.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the explanation re: Boardman & Wiggle

In response to Tarepanda. I would personally go with the Cayo for the carbon frame and the 105 brakes but that is just because I prefer carbon. Hey this is a good dilemma to have. They both look like nice bikes.

In response to Tarepanda. I would personally go with the Cayo for the carbon frame and the 105 brakes but that is just because I prefer carbon. Hey this is a good dilemma to have. They both look like nice bikes.

Yeah... I'm just wondering what's up with the Cayo (or its frame) since it seems too good to be true! Unfortunately, it doesn't have 105 brakes, though.

I've never ridden a road bike, so it's hard for me to have a preference for carbon or alloy at this point beyond what I've read...

I have a Focus Cayo with Ultegra. Had the bike for a year and put around 6000km's on it.
No problems so far except for the crappy stock Mavic Aksium wheels. I now ride with a set of Easton EA70's and they improved the riding experience quite a lot.

The frame is stiff and the geometry is very aggressive to the Caad10 I use when I am in Sweden.

I would highly recommend a Cayo if you are in the market for a new bike.

/Andreas

I seem to have lost the ability to read

Dont know why I thought the Cayo had 105 brakes. I'd still buy it though.

Back
Top Bottom