What's new

Newbie questions about autumn/winter gear.

okayamaPaul

Speeding Up
Jun 18, 2011
Sorry to throw more newbie questions at you, but I want to purchase some gear for autumn and winter before it gets too cold and am not entirely sure what is the best to get.

I only have a pair of tights, summer gloves and a long sleeved summer jersey which will get me through to half way through next month I imagine.

For those who have extensive riding experience in colder weather, your advice would be much appreciated. The more detail you can give me, the better. Any recommendation for good brands would also be appreciated. I would like to buy the middle on the run stuff, I don't have enough for the mega expensive stuff. I am still between getting something locally so I can make sure it is the right size, or taking a punt online for a cheaper price.

Also, I am wondering if it is possible to ride during December and January: not so much snow here, but more worried about ice on a downhill run etc.

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of these, they're wonderful:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superroubaix-windproof-padded-bib-tight/

I'm 187cm and about 83kg and bought and like the XL, someone else here that's about the same size preferred the L. (I bought both and returned the L)

Also, if you can wait then wiggle will have a sale in the run-up to year-end. I think they ran one discount thru November last year, and then another bigger discount in December.

Basically if your hands and feet are warm, the rest of your body will be able stay warm as you are working hard riding the bike.

Here in Tokyo I'd never even dream about wearing real winter kit, as it does NOT get that cold here. A good windbreaker and some jersey with maybe a dry wick shirt next to the skin should do you right. Remember, layers are the way to go. I used to ride to work everyday in Vancouver all year, in the winter it gets colder in Vancouver than here in Tokyo, but still not really cold. I was told back then that in the first 15 minutes of your ride, if you are warm enough, you are wearing too much, as it takes the body a while to warm up. Warm hands and feet can make everything else bearable! :D

Tokyo is fine, but long descends from high altitudes can be very cold in winter. And so can be the Tamagawa early in the morning. This year it was quite tough on some days. Almost froze my legs and hands off in -5 degrees.

I'll check, but I think we still have a set of winter bibs laying around -- mainly for larger size (180cm) or so. Agreed w/Ludwig. While Tokyo doesn't get the sub-zero weather of the great Pacific Southwest (ahem) , it does get bitter on the descents due to high humidity AND coolness!

I'm kitted out with generally:

1) Descent Winter Jersey (wool / poly mix)
2) Merlino wool or silk / poly under.
3) Wool (ancient) Girodana team tights - nothing better IMO.
4) Embrocation from yours truly's kitchen.
5) 2XU Membrane Water Jacket or 100y store cheap rain jacket.
6) Specialized CX shoes w/ conbini garbage sack socks.
7) Those conbini heating pads stuffed anywhere I need them
8) Cheap newspaper for frontal stuffing (and tossing)
9) Various stuff from Uniqlo (unders, outers, etc)

Will prolly spring for the Shimano winter shoes this year.

It's all about the layers.

Tokyo is fine, but long descends from high altitudes can be very cold in winter. And so can be the Tamagawa early in the morning. This year it was quite tough on some days. Almost froze my legs and hands off in -5 degrees.

Agreed, this is the problem. Sometimes, I just descend a certain amount (`til I reach a certain amount of coldness), and then ride back up a bit `til I`ve warmed up and turn round, and continue with the descent. Or stick to smaller hill repeats.

I love these - Pearl Izumi Thermafleece bib tights. No need for anything else on the legs, but aren`t padded so need padded underwear or shorts underneath...or both!

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/16415/Pearl-Izumi-11111033-Elite-Thermafleece-Cycling-Bib-Tight.html

I also have a lovely ski/neck type mask from sports authority (don`t know make, just happened to have it in one time when I was there) that covers your neck, mouth and ears (can pull it over the nose if required on the descents) but doesn`t cover your head - mine never gets cold enough to need it there. That also helps with my asthma which can be affected by the cold air.

I`m going to try a few new things this year - aero booties on the shoes (I hate the thick overshoes) and some of the heatfact layers (Uniqlo or Sports Authority) mixed in with my cool Craft tops, so can`t advise on the rest, but like StuInTokyo and GSAtuto says, layers. Best thing, is to find a shop where you can try everything on and see what fits best...then order it online :eek: Easy to do when you have big chain stores, but not a small place like here where the shops know you.

I think FarEast mentioned this last year, but taking additional layers that you can put on (can use them as a new base layer or extra top) when you reach the top helps.

Maybe sikochi is describing one of these, one of my indispensibles around the neck:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-buff/

There are other brands/fabrics, and similar things at the big box sports stores. Click on "description" for all the supposed ways to use it. I wear it for neck protection.

But it also works for frontal stuffing...!

I like Pearl Izumi cuz they give the temperature their clothes are good down to.

I have winter gloves, winter tights, shoe covers/booties, a winter T-shirt and winter jerseys.

I don't know about this year but last year my rule was if it's under 10C then I won't ride (I have a trainer I can ride).
I'm from LA and if I have to wear too much to keep me warm then it ain't fun anymore and I might as well ride inside.

The dhb stuff is great. Cheap, works, is delivered very fast and looks great.

Gloves; I am a ponce, so go for expensive gloves in winter. Currently I like the Castelli gloves. Wonderful, almost loose fit, which feels fantastic.

IMHO, the Gore Bike Wear Windstopper and Gore-tex products can not be beat. The only thing I would hesitate to recommend are their bibs and shorts. My nether regions are not a fan of their pads. Other than that, great stuff that can be found on Wiggle. Highly recommended!

Maybe sikochi is describing one of these, one of my indispensibles around the neck:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-buff/

There are other brands/fabrics, and similar things at the big box sports stores. Click on "description" for all the supposed ways to use it. I wear it for neck protection.

But it also works for frontal stuffing...!

It`s like that, but not baggy at all, and with a pull cord/plastic stopper to tighten it. Best one of the type I have found to date. I checked - the make is Zett Prostatus and they have a website
http://prostatus.jp/webcatalog/2011webcatalog/pageview/pageview.html#page_num=H4
but I couldn`t find it in their catalogue. Their target sport is baseball, so must be a kinda neck cover for outfielders in the cold. Just look in any sports wear store.

I don't know about this year but last year my rule was if it's under 10C then I won't ride (I have a trainer I can ride).
I'm from LA and if I have to wear too much to keep me warm then it ain't fun anymore and I might as well ride inside.

My only rule is if there is ice on the road, and last year, didn`t find any that posed a hazard. Simple rule, is descend the way you ascend and then you can spot any dangerous patches on the way up to be wary of later.

Sorry, but HTFU applies!

Said I don't know about this year and if I have to dress up like a polar bear to ride my bike it stops bein fun (also said I'm from LA which has some of the best year round outdoor sports weather).

Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated. Had a nice three day trip on the weekend, but the weather is getting a little cooler in the morning and night. I might just buy some Autumn gear from the bike shop and then hit up the internet for winter stuff.

If anyone else has advice, I would love to hear it.

Just ordered a nice box of goodies over the net, thanks for the advice.

Went with the dhb tights one down from the warmest, it will only snow here once or twice most likely the whole winter, so I guess a little warmer than Tokyo.

Pretty happy I have everything set up now. I just hope I enjoy riding in the cold weather like I enjoy riding in the rain, makes me feel like a man, unlike my desk job.:cool:

Paul,

The dHb tights are amazing.... the windstopper knees are a god send on the decents. I also recomend the 3/4 length bib shorts for autumn and spring riding.

Back
Top Bottom