Newbie here

Nov 13, 2013
Saitama
Hi all, newbie here, live in Saitama, can often be found on the Arakawa Cycling Rd or in and around the mountains of Chichibu. I'm into all styles of cycling, but most recently brevets and the like. Look forward to sharing with all and sundry.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Welcome to TCC, @Ji10sya!

I'm also a randonneur and have been riding a couple of brevets with AJ NishiTokyo, as well as a lot of long personal rides (at least one 160+ km ride per calendar month for 15 consecutive months so far)

What kind of a bike do you have? Any pictures?

Nov 13, 2013
Saitama
Hi Joe, and thanks for the welcome. I've got a few bikes occupying my tatami room downstairs but my most recent purchase was a Cube Kathmandu. It's a wonderful all-purpose ride. Light enough for longer rides, nimble enough for city streets and sturdy enough for extended touring. I am keen to get into more organized randonneuring next year and would appreciate any advice you could provide regarding the better organizers, courses etc.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Most of my brevets have been with AJ NishiTokyo, whose rides usually start and finish at the Cherubim bike shop in Machida. They are a very friendly bunch and the routes have been great. I have incorporated bits of their routes into many of my subsequent personal rides.

I can't really comment much about the other clubs in the Kanto area because I lack experience with them, but a lot of people ride brevets with several different clubs, depending on their schedules and availability.

Some of the rides fill up very quickly when they open for signup on SportsEntry, sometimes in a matter of minutes. This is especially true for rides early in the year and for 200 km. There are far fewer takers for the 400 and 600 km rides in the summer and early autumn.