What's new

Ride New Year sunrise ride

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Thinking it might be fun to get up early and ride to the ocean for the sunrise on Jan 1. Haven't decided if I'll do this but if anyone else is interested, let me know and maybe we can figure something out. If it happens, it will be a slow, social spin...having a cup of coffee to toast the New Year. The route shows a loop, but I'll probably just do a there-and-back if I do it.

I will be probably on my MTB watching the sunrise from the peak of Futagoyama.
Hope you have a great ride if you do it!

I will be probably on my MTB watching the sunrise from the peak of Futagoyama.
Hope you have a great ride if you do it!
I saw you did a sunrise ride already. Great pics.

I'll get things ready tonight and then set my alarm. Probably going to be one of those last minute decisions to go or not.

I saw you did a sunrise ride already. Great pics.

I'll get things ready tonight and then set my alarm. Probably going to be one of those last minute decisions to go or not.
I will be heading up to Futagoyama around 445. If you are interested in freezing/suffering, let me know

Thanks for the invite, but that would make for a very early start for me, so probably not an option. Also, it is freezing (literally) out there tonight. I think I'll delay my start till later in the day when things warm up a bit. The sun will have to rise without me.

Went out today and it was -3c in Yokohama where I live... after my week of riding for the Rapha, I am not ashamed to say I noped out of it.

Saw my daughter off to the airport, hopped on the bike and headed down the Sakaigawa after things warmed up a bit. Figured I'd better get out there today because the Hakone ekiden is on the 2nd and 3rd. Not many people out today.

Curiosity Question about Japan and new years...
I am normally on the MTBs (or hurt) this time of year, so I am not usually out and about exploring.
Today there were more cars randomly parked on the road with hazards on while people enjoyed this mornings sunrise.
When I do the Miura loop, it is usually around sunrise - I have never seen it like today in 9 years... but admittedly, I have not ridden the loop on January 2nd ever.
Is it January 2nd a thing? Don't get me wrong, it was pretty and worth the attention this morning due to the colors, but it was cloudy and you never really saw the sun.

Am I missing something?

For reference - it was Maborikaigan to Nobikaigan Park was the worst of it, but there were smatterings of cars all the way to Miurakaigan.

For reference - it was Maborikaigan to Nobikaigan Park was the worst of it, but there were smatterings of cars all the way to Miurakaigan.
Maybe the Hakone ekiden has people avoiding the roads from Enoshima to Hakone and heading to Miura instead?

Curiosity Question about Japan and new years...
I am normally on the MTBs (or hurt) this time of year, so I am not usually out and about exploring.
Today there were more cars randomly parked on the road with hazards on while people enjoyed this mornings sunrise.
When I do the Miura loop, it is usually around sunrise - I have never seen it like today in 9 years... but admittedly, I have not ridden the loop on January 2nd ever.
Is it January 2nd a thing? Don't get me wrong, it was pretty and worth the attention this morning due to the colors, but it was cloudy and you never really saw the sun.

Am I missing something?
I think it's up there with the autumn leaves and cherry blossoms as something people go to see.
I quite often go to see the sunrise at the same place I went to on Jan 1st and you never see a soul there, and you're unlucky of you get passed by a car on the climb (5km). On NYD it's always heaving - carparks full, people stopped randomly generated on the road, the police getting pretty irate at abandoned cars. The other place I went to for sunrise on NYD a few years back I've never seen anybody at the place at any time of day and never seen a car on the way up or down the climb, but on NYD there were 4 or 5 cars and a few hikers up there.

New Years, I expect it. At Futagoyama, it is usually me and maybe 1 or 2 hikers/trail runners heading through.
New Years, it is between 20-50 depending on the year.

Being Jan2 - I was just surprised.

Back
Top Bottom